• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I squeeze Boma in or not?

Coconuts

DIS Veteran
I have an option to squeeze a Boma dinner in this trip. We have never eaten there and I am eager to try it after reading about all of the raves on the Disboards. I have also never been to AKL and thought the kids might like checking the place out. If we don't get there, it certainly will make that day a little easier and we may get some extra time at DTD.

Is it worth it to try?:confused: Thanks for the input.:goodvibes

I am one of the few that got caught up in all the Boma rave...and HATED it.

The flavors were not to our liking, everything is flavored with sweet spices, like cinnamon, vanilla and fruity flavors.
As a meat and potatoes girl I can be satisfied as long as there is a beef available to me...but nope. The carved beef was rubbed in a cinnamon mixture, the potatoes were sweet...even the soups were all sweet. The whole meal tasted like a holiday dessert.

Now if you like those flavors...then yes go for it, but if not I would spend my time in a park or at DTD. JMO

Boma is a wonderful meal and the lodge is something to see. The buffet is rather large and offers a little something for everyone. Depending on when your meal is you can squeeze in some activities they have going on at the lodge before or after your meal. Of course there is the opportunity to animal watch but they also have story telling around a big fire in the evening and animal viewing using night vision goggles - very cool. They also have a ton of other stuff going on. You can check the activity board that is near the bell stand just in side the lobby entrance.

Both the meal and lodge are unique experiences you'll remember long after you return home.

Boma's is one of our favorite restaurants at WDW. If it fits into your schedule, I wold try to eat there. The buffet has quite a variety of food - be adventurous!

Boma is my favorite restaurant in WDW, so yes I would definitely recommend going to it! AKL is an awesome place to visit too.

We scheduled Boma on our getaway day for the breakfast. We loved it. The kids spent some time by the pool looking around at the animals before we headed in for the meal.

It was a great way to end the trip and we are looking fwd to going back and possibly staying there

It's a tough one - Boma is either love it or hate it. It is very, very different from the other buffets at WDW. I am the Boma lover in my family. Everyone else, not so much.

But if you think making an ADR is the only way you are going to see the AKL, then I'd say Do It. AKL is unique and incredibly themed and definitely worth a trip to see the resort itself.

AKL is such a neat and special resort being that you can watch animals. Boma has so much to offer and I love the soups. Our waitress even gave me one of the recipes since she saw me with about 4 bowls on our HM.

I am one of the few that got caught up in all the Boma rave...and HATED it.

The flavors were not to our liking, everything is flavored with sweet spices, like cinnamon, vanilla and fruity flavors.
As a meat and potatoes girl I can be satisfied as long as there is a beef available to me...but nope. The carved beef was rubbed in a cinnamon mixture, the potatoes were sweet...even the soups were all sweet. The whole meal tasted like a holiday dessert.

Now if you like those flavors...then yes go for it, but if not I would spend my time in a park or at DTD. JMO

That's pretty much what I thought of it too. Everything was seasoned along the same lines, which is great if you like it but not so much if you don't. I'm not big on vanilla or cinnamon and it seemed like a lot of dishes there included one or both of those notes. For African-inspired food we much preferred Tusker House; they had a wider assortment of tastes and not so much of the creamy/dessert-y notes in the savory dishes.

We hated Boma, Animal Kingdom Lodge was cool, but it was a pain to get over there and then waited forever for a bus to anywhere to pick us up after we ate, in fact, they had to call a bus, we waited so long. We had ressies but like to have never got seated and the flavor of the food was not what our party of 4 was into. My kids ate next to nothing, alot of money to pay for a salad. But, like you, we went because we had never been, so now we can say, been there, done that, and then of course, won't go back. So, do your turn, been there, done that, maybe you will like it enough to go back. I've heard lots of good about it too. You have to say, yes, I did that one! Good Luck.

I would say it's worth the trip just so you can check out AKL.

Boma itself is good, but it's not amazing. It's worth trying once, but it's not on my must-do list.

If I'm not staying around AK, and am making the trip out there, I head for Sanaa!

We had eaten at Boma's for the first time this past September and really enjoyed ourselves. So much that we decided to try out the breakfast in May (which also gets really good reviews here on the DIS boards). If you have never been to AKL before then I would highly recommend making that ADR and make sure you go there a few hours earlier just so you can walk around and enjoy touring the resort before you eat. Also, make sure you head outside and check out all of the animals roaming around, this was my kids favorite part of going to AKL when we were there. Have fun, it is adventurous type of eating, but it is also really really good and the service is awesome.

If you've never been there then I say give it a try. I personally like Boma but I wouldn't call it great (it's still a buffet).

But with that said, like some other places which have a lot of hype, just go there with realistic expectations. Boma is different and does offer some unique tastes. Perhaps, my only real complaint is like that of a pp, I find the location very difficult to get to and takes too much of my time. We have been there twice and after the first time we just take a cab to Boma and plan that evening for DTD or some other park (via bus from AKL) instead of heading back to our resort.

My kids ate next to nothing, alot of money to pay for a salad.

I agree - we enjoyed it but DD didn't want to even try anything. Next time we visited, we dropped her off at Simba's kids club for a couple of hours where she got fed and had a great time.

She is too old now for kids clubs, but we have been back for breakfast and she enjoyed that. One thing we found at Boma's dinner though is, on both occasions, we waited ages for a table - both with an ADR (once over an hour)

I say try it! You may find out you really like it :goodvibes

Boma is indeed different but AMAZING. It is our most favorite restaurant.

I would just echo a previous poster and say that if you go to AKL, route through AK. Buses run between AK and AKL about every five minutes-- faster than between AKL and any other hub point. From AKL you can catch a bus to your resort.

That said, I hope you do go see AKL. Enjoy the atmosphere and the animals. We love it there.

I really enjoy Boma.

If you cna't make it there, try Tusker House at Animal Kingdom. Food is sort of similar (some people call Tusker "Boma Lite") and you have the advantage of being on a park and not commuting to a resort.

I would definitely recommend you try Boma at least once. The food is very different from what we normally eat but I like the overdose of spices they use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter