should I split a stay to save six points?

No way would I do a split stay to save 6 points. NO WAY. But I HATE split stays and only have done them under very rare, no-other-option circumstances. When I am on vacation I don't want to waste a single extra minute with packing/unpacking. I don't like borrowing either but we do it to accommodate bringing family/friends. You would think that with 1150 points we could avoid borrowing, but we do borrow and even have had to transfer in and rent points!
I can believe it. We brought friends in April. Trip of a lifetime for them. No point issue but then dh wanted a little getaway. Now we are in the red.

No, it is not worth doing a split stay for 6 points IMO. And I doubt saving 6 points would lead to a path of righteous non-borrowing. I expect when your family gets hot and tired and wishes you had your old room you will realize maybe it wasn't such a good idea to move to another resort.

Now if your family really enjoys split stays and they think of it as an adventure that would be different.

We are 10 year owners and have 175 points. We have never borrowed. Once I needed 5 points to stay an extra night at AKV, so I purchased them under the then new program. Twice we paid cash when there is a free dining promotion. Last December we stayed at POFQ and paid cash. Had a fabulous time. Currently all our points are banked for an anticipated stay at Aulani next year for our 2nd visit there. We are headed to Disneyland in November and staying off site at the Best Western, a real bargain with free breakfast and free parking.

I am jealous of your 860 points, but would cringe at the annual dues.

For 860 points I could stay in a BW standard studio from Jan 1, 2016 to March 5, 2016 and have 2 points left over.

The cost of dues per night would average about $80.

The acquisition cost depends on what the OP paid per point so maybe $3 more per night.

So, 65 nights in a studio.....

Some people live in studio apartments smaller than this in cities, and pay about the same. And probably don't even have a balcony....

Last edited:
I know, I know. I have this deep seated fear that I will run out of points. Then what? Ill have to take time off. That is not happening. Hence borrowing gives me hives but I can't seem to stop booking vacations. It's a disease.

Transfer points. Rent a reservation. Pay cash for a stay - that's a great chance to stay at a non DVC resort and try something different.

I would not worry about borrowing - there's lots of other ways to stay at Disney if you borrow all you have.

We did a three way split last summer....four nights w/9 in a two bedroom BCV; eight nights in a GV at OKW w/10 and two nights in GFV a in two bedroom lock off w/10.

Trying to decide where and how long to stay in 2017. We bank and borrow our OKW a points, and then have another 300+ from our other two DVC contracts...I've been eyeing TPV BLT GV, but was overruled last year in favor of GFV.

Only worth it if I wanted to try another resort. Otherwise buy the one time use points.

Not a fan of split stays, so I definitely wouldn't do one for just 6 points. We have a split stay (OKW/SSR) coming up in November. However, I've waitlisted the entire stay at OKW or VWL and am praying that one of them comes through. I like to get there, unpack, and then only have to repack until we leave to fly home. And I don't like living out of a suitcase. If my OKW waitlist comes through, it will be less than my currently booked split, so I'll be basically losing those points. I don't care -- it's still worth it not to have to move in the middle of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter