Should I cancel? HELP!!!!

jpgolds

Earning My Ears
My Family and I are planning our first trip to DL (after many great trips to WDW) on march 22-29. I am getting worried about the crowds on this week! I am not fond of large crowds and would much rather rebook at a less buisy time! I booked this week because I thought it would be slow, but I am finding out now that this is some schools vacation week! Does any body have any suggestions about possibly going earlier in march? Rebooking is not a problem!:confused:

Well, would it help that there is a DIS meet that weekend? poopie (rachel) graciously offer to host, there are about 12 of us going to be there on Sat and Sun, we are willing to brave the crowds! I don't know about the rest of the week, you have to keep in mind that school systems all let their students out at different times. Spring Break in CA is going to be a different week than ours in AZ, so it's really tough to guage the crowds.

I don't think the crowds will be that bad that week. If you look at the hours posted for the last two weeks of March compared to the first two weeks, the only difference is that Disneyland will open an hour earlier. DCA's weekday hours remained the same. Compare them to the hours for mid-April, and you'll see they're much longer then. Generally, longer planned hours equals greater anticipated crowds.

Of course, you can actually make the larger crowds/longer hours thing work for you if you're having an extended stay at a nearby hotel. Just get there before opening, take a long break in the afternoon (or hit the rides with the greatest capacity) and stay till closing. This assumes you can stay till closing and still get up early enough to get back before opening, of course.

My family will probably be there March 25 to 27.

I wouldn't be too concerned with crowds. Although some schools are starting spring breaks as early as the 1st of March, most are probably closer to Easter (which is April 20 this year). So I think the bulk of the horrid crowds will start around April 12 and last through April 27.

My husband is a school teacher here in So Cal and his kids have break the week before and after Easter Sunday. Of course it does vary but most public schools in CA have their breaks in mid April this year.

Most (there's one I think that doesn't) UC schools (university of California) have off the last week of March. Always, every year, the last week of March is spring break. This is because most UC schools are on a quarter system and their quarter ends that week. That's why they extend the hours a bit. I think there may also be some other schools that have the week off, but I do know that UCs will. I don't recall there being much of a jump in attendance that week, when it's not close to Easter (like the week before or after). From Mid march to end of april is when you'll find spring break crowds though. If you're going during the week it won't be too bad. Weekends are usually more crowded no matter when. In fact we went to DCA today and actually had to wait in line to get in. The line was alway to the CALIFORNIA letters. That's extremely long for this park. I very rarely have to wait in line to get into DCA, and we didn't go until 2pm.

March is usually a great time to visit DL/DCA. It's going to be busy when every you attend. I've been---Summer--Spring and Fall--each had it's own specail charm----. If it's a slow time of year park hours are shorter and instead of both sides of matterhorn and Splash being run---the park will only open one side----this couts down on the operating costs so see it really doesn't matter when you travel---pick a time of year when rooms offer discounts and airfare--if needed---can be reserved at discounted rates.

Have a wonderful time

I will be with the group of disers going the weekend of March 22-23 please look us up.

PattyN

I wouldn't worry. I have a Southern California Annual Passport that blocks out the high admission days, and it looks like the bad time to go ( as far as high admission) would be April 11-26th.

My children's school break is the same time as yours, however we are in Colorado, and most people go to Arizona or Mexico from here- not California.

Weekends are always a little more crowded, but I think you will be fine!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter