Short time in Grand Cayman

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by dizneekrazee, Nov 20, 2012.

1. believinthemagic

believinthemagic Mouseketeer

Good point! Thank you!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

If port time begins at 11:30 you'll be lucky to catch a bus by noon. There's usually a mad rush to catch the tenders. Non-Disney-shore-excursion people wait their turn in the theatres, so you'd have to line up, tender ashore, then get on the bus.

DCL shore excursion people have tenders reserved for them so they go ashore before the mere mortals and don't have to wait for hundreds of other passengers in line ahead of them.

4. believinthemagic

believinthemagic Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info! I have now re-booked for the DCL excursion. Feeling much better now about spending the money :)

5. jdb in AZ

jdb in AZ <font color=green>It could end up curdled<br><font

One other perk -- some DCL shore excursions are actually scheduled to return after everyone else is expected to be onboard. Then the tenders are available for the shore-excursion people.

6. Golden Rose

Golden Rose Princess by Choice

We were on this tour last week, and we also loved it. My kids are animal lovers, and were thrilled by the turtles, the birds in the aviary, the crocodile, the fish in the lagoon and the predator tank, the wild chickens, and the wild iguanas.

We did book through DCL. We were one of the first groups to tender to Grand Cayman. I don't know about later buses, but our bus was full of only people who had booked through DCL. (Only people who booked through DCL were off the ship at that point, and only people who had been waiting in the lounge with us for that particular shore excursion were on the bus.) We were on one of the first buses to arrive at the turtle farm, and in the first group a tour guide took in.

We were given tickets for a buffet lunch. I know I've heard a few people complaining about it, but we were pleasantly surprised. It was rice and beans, cole slaw, fried plantains, and a choice of barbecue chicken or fried fish. We thought it was pretty good; better than some of the meals we'd had on the ship, but that's another story. The included drink choices were fruit punch, lemonade, or iced tea, I believe.

There was a moment of confusion at the end of our tour because what DCL called the tour and what the Boatswain's people call the tour was slightly different. We booked something DCL called "Boatswain's Adventure Marine Park", or some name like that. The guide asked us if any of us were on the "Deluxe Tour," and he got a lot of blank stares. But at the end of his tour, I asked him what the white tickets were for, and apparently, they meant we were on the Deluxe Tour. Apparently, the deluxe tour means that in addition to getting the wristbands that give you access to the whole park, which includes the snorkel lagoon, aviary, predator tank, and large pool, you also get the tickets that entitle you to the buffet.

There was also a restaurant in the same area where some people, I suppose those not on the tour, ordered off a menu.

One other note... I think that if you book the combination tour of stingray city and turtle farm, you don't get access to the "adventure park" part. You get access to the front half of it, with the turtles and the crocodile, including the touching/wading with turtles part. I think you don't get access to the swimming pool, snorkel lagoon, predator tank, and aviary. There isn't really time in a 4.5 hour excursion to do the full park and the stingrays. I think this is also be true of the island tour. To get access to the back half, I think you have to book the adventure park excursion.