Shopping in the USA…Your recommendations

This is what I plan on doing. I'm just going to pack the bare minimum and start shopping as soon as we arrive!

We're probably going to take 6 suitcases - 2 smaller ones inside bigger ones and 2 empty ones. We get 2 bags each with QF (so that's 10 total) but I need to check the limits with UA, DL and US for our internal flights.

some airlines in the USA are partenr airlines to ours (ie: Qantas, American Airlines, British Aliways are all partner airlines), They will sometimes honour your international luggage allowance on a domestic flights, even if it's not on the same day. Just check with each airline. Also if you are in the Qantas club you get more allowance, which is also honoured through the partner airlines. ;)

some airlines in the USA are partenr airlines to ours (ie: Qantas, American Airlines, British Aliways are all partner airlines), They will sometimes honour your international luggage allowance on a domestic flights, even if it's not on the same day. Just check with each airline. Also if you are in the Qantas club you get more allowance, which is also honoured through the partner airlines. ;)

We're not using any One World Alliance in the States as AA was more expensive then other options. Thanks for bumping this though as it's a reminder to look into the baggage allowances on UA, DL and US.

I know with DL if you're an international flyer, even if you're on a domestic leg (providing it's all on the same itinerary) then you'll still be allowed an international baggage allowance.

If you book your domestic flights separately, you'll have to abide by their domestic rules.

DL international allow 2 bags up to 23kg each.

last year flying Qantas they were really strict on the carry ons. they had the carry on unit out with the scales and made everyone put their bags in and get a stamp on their boarding pass. The transferred all bags over 7kilos into the hold. This is different from the US domestic carriers who allow a heavier carryon.
there was no exception for anyone and they took a lot of bags off people.

I'm in the Qantas Club lounge in LAX waiting for the flight home. Some of my favourite purchases.

All in US$$ including tax...

Not Your Daughters Jeans - in my plus size - $118 at Nordstroms. Probably could of got them cheaper, but given they are over twice that price at home I'm pretty happy anyway.

Sketchers for Miss 7 - 2 pairs, from a Sketchers store total $92. I found another pair at an outlet for $38.

Dance Shoes - Bloch, and other associated dancing gear. My DD dances, and shoes are a major cost. In Anaheim there is a shop called "Discount Dance Supplies." You'll need a car. Her Dance Sneakers, used for hip hop around $43, so I got the next four sizes, that's around 60% cheaper than home. I also got her some more jazz shoes, I remember at the time paying about 40% cheaper than home, but can't remember the exact price. Also got hair nets, sprays, and associated dancer's gear for around 50% cheaper. Spent nearly US$300 there. They have a web site, have a look before you go, but it has almost everything! Adults and Children.

Tiffany - yep, well, not a lot cheaper, maybe 20%. I brought DD a cross pendant.

Eco Watches - MIL said the one she purchased was around 1/3 cheaper at some random jewellery shop we went to. It was near the Disney Character Outlet.

Moet. Too hard to bring home. :rolleyes1

New Balance Sneakers. For children were around US$45, compared to $80+ at home for her type. But they didn't have her size and colour in stock and I was too tired to keep searching. They need white or white/navy only for school

We came to the US with 4 suitcases, coming home with 7 :scared1:

Is it worth going to the Citadel Outlets on the freeway between LA and Anaheim?

Also, is it hard to get to Westfield Culver City if using public transport?

TIA

Hi, I am also interested to find out about Citidel. We drove it a couple of times last year but didn't have time to stop. If it's worthwhile we will go there for sure this year. Does anyone know which are the best outlets to do from Anaheim?

Is that the Westfield about ten mins from Anaheim? If it is we got a cab there once for I think $10 and we just rang the same guy to pick us up when we were finished. I think it's called Main Place Mall? and it's owned by Westfield. We always pick up bargains from there :woohoo:

We went to Citadel on a shopping tour. I loved it. Bought lots of Converse for cheap, I think they were 2 pairs for $30. There was also a few surf brand outlets like Roxy and stuff. Toys R Us, Guess and a few others.

Definately worth a stop I reckon.

xxx

Does anyone know which are the best outlets to do from Anaheim?

The best outlets are the Disney Character Outlets.
We go to them multiple times as the prices change each week and the stuff they have changes.
It is all the real deal theme park merchandise and heavily discounted.
It is a GREAT place to get discounted disney pins to use for trade (or even keep, we got some beautiful limited edition nemo pins for over half off) :)

These are the main ones we go to

Disney's Character Warehouse Outlet Store
Orangefair Marketplace
243 Orangefair Mall
Fullerton, CA 92832

Disney's Character Warehouse Outlet Store
2780 B Reservoir Street
Close to Mattel Toy Store
Pomona, CA 91766

Find them all listed here
http://www.ams-liquidation.com/listings.aspx

1rocky, the Disney Outlet store at Orangefair is not far at all. It is about a 10 minute bus trip. I found it really worth going to and would definately stop in there again next time. We didn't spend too much money in there but came out with bags and bags and bags of stuff :thumbsup2

xxx

Are these outlets close to Disneyland Hotel. Is it easy to get a taxi to them. thanks .
The one in fullerton is just down the road.

The Pomona one requires a drive down the freeway (so not a quick taxi ride) which means it has better prices usually and a bigger range. If you have a car and the time then it is worth the trip.
[Just because these are the same company the prices are NOT the same at each outlet. We found some things considerably cheaper at one than the other]

Picture39.png
Picture40.png

Originally Posted by 1rocky
Are these outlets close to Disneyland Hotel. Is it easy to get a taxi to them. thanks.

Orangefair Marketplace is a very easy straight drive about 10 - 15 minutes north on Harbour Boulevard, the road next to DL which Hojo and other hotels are on. From Disneyland Hotel it would be about the same time, using Ball Road to go across to Harbour or using I 5 as shown in the Google map directions above. A taxi would be one option, and as stated by Aussiegirl there is also a bus.
Pomona is a relatively easy drive of about 30 to 45 minutes, taking Ball Road (or 91 E) east to 57 N which becomes 60 E, off which you take exit 30 and you are there (it is right next to the freeway).

that is great news thanks everyone.
this is a definite on the trip.
We are not planning on hiring a car but since there are three of us we split everything three ways so that is good for the taxi.
sorry another question is the one at pomona closer to LA as we are also staying at the sheraton Universal in LA. Thanks once again everyone.

that is great news thanks everyone.
this is a definite on the trip.
We are not planning on hiring a car but since there are three of us we split everything three ways so that is good for the taxi.
sorry another question is the one at pomona closer to LA as we are also staying at the sheraton Universal in LA. Thanks once again everyone.
No it is closer to Disneyland.
To give a geographical association see below
A - Universal
B - Pomona
C - The home of the mouse.
Picture42.png

While the bus is a possibility I think the taxi would be a good idea for a party of 3 or more.
Have fun! And leave room in your luggage for goodies :)
If you were driving I would probably suggest Harbor Blvd as the route...although I must say Anaheim doesn't seem to be very friendly in terms of coordinating traffic lights so it can be interesting with a boot of groceries ;) I5 gives you less traffic lights

Originally Posted by 1rocky

Unfortunately not, whilst 60 E does go all the way from LA to Pomona and from this hotel you would take 101 S to get onto 60 E, it would take about an hour and you are more likely to be stuck in traffic making it even longer.

thanks very much .
this forum has given me so many ideas. now to tell the others we will be visiting the disney outlet as well. Better saving hard now.
i can see how heavy our bags will be when we head for home:rotfl2::rotfl2:

. Does anyone know which are the best outlets to do from Anaheim?

We went to Cabazon about 2 1/2 hours from Anaheim but we combined it with a trip to Palm Springs and the Aerial Tramway - simply awesome that was.

Cabazon was great - huge is an understatement.

We hit Quiksilver , Roxy , Billabong , Oakley , Rip Curl , Nike , Levi's and CK hard !! We spent about 3 hours there and still didnt see everything next time we will spend a full day shopping there !

Be warned it's in the middle of the desert and the day we went there was scorching hot !!

Hi, I am also interested to find out about Citidel. We drove it a couple of times last year but didn't have time to stop. If it's worthwhile we will go there for sure this year. Does anyone know which are the best outlets to do from Anaheim?

Is that the Westfield about ten mins from Anaheim? If it is we got a cab there once for I think $10 and we just rang the same guy to pick us up when we were finished. I think it's called Main Place Mall? and it's owned by Westfield. We always pick up bargains from there :woohoo:

There is an outlet in Carlsbad near Legoland.
There's also an outlet in Ontario Mills, which is HUGE! If you have a look at the map posted by Queenie with the Disney Outlet in Pomona, you'll see Ontario listed. Ontario Mills is where the 10 and the 15 intersect (or close enough to).
If in San Diego, there is the San Ysidro outlet right on the border with Mexico.

I also like Lake Elsinore but this is a bit out of the way and you're best driving there yourself.

The Citadel is the closest, but not necessarily the one with the best bargains or range.

Yes, Westfield Main Place Mall is 10 mins from Anaheim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter