Shooting Range Birthday Party?

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Tigger&Belle, Dec 12, 2012.

1. shortbun

shortbun <font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><

Exactly! While I don't care if people take their own children shooting and give them lessons, it's NOT a party and children shouldn't be taught that weapons are a party theme at 8 years old. It's a private family event for children.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. tiffjoy

tiffjoy DIS Veteran

I was shooting a gun by 6, with a lot of help and supervision. I was handling a gun on my own by 10, still under supervision. (I never hunted, nor did my Dad. It was all just target practice and skeet shooting.) I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter attending this kind of party at age 8. Shooting targets is a lot of fun; I enjoyed it a lot when I was little. They specifically talked about teaching safety, always critical, so I see no issue with it.

That being said, I really think it has a lot to do with how you were raised and your own comfort level with guns. If you as a parent aren't comfortable or familiar with guns, I think it's going to have a lot of impact on how you feel about your child handling them. I would be perfectly comfortable and confident assisting my DD at this type if party (as I wouldn't leave her alone), but I can see that many would not. There's really no one right answer on this; it completely depends on the parents.

4. Eeyore'sthebest

Eeyore'sthebest DIS Veteran<br><font color=darkorchid>Not So Tagle

I don't see a problem with it but I really think it's a personal decision. And I really believe that decision will be based on where you live and what you are used to. I would permit my DD to attend one with one of us in attendance.

5. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

So what happens if kids are taught that? :confused3

6. donaldlovesdaisy

donaldlovesdaisy DIS Veteran

Do you mind if I ask why you are not a fan? I know some people don't like the idea of shooting and killing animals but I know plenty of people mostly women who just like shooting at a paper target and consider it a hobby. I hear it can be therapeutic.

7. ford family

ford family DIS Veteran

Is your first name Clay?

ford family

8. tiffjoy

tiffjoy DIS Veteran

It so is!! ;)

I was proud of being such a great shot. I used to frequently out score my guy friends when we went skeet shooting. Since moving away from my redneck home to a big city, I don't have a gun and don't target practice anymore. I quite miss it and when my girls get older, I will probably take it up again and teach them.

It's a skill that teaches a lot, and it's also quite empowering.

9. onelilspark

onelilspark DIS Veteran

I don't see anything wrong with it.

10. Gumbo4x4

Gumbo4x4 Note to the ladies who forgot to

I'm sure there's some minimum age for hunting here, but I'm not sure what it is. I do know that to hunt unsupervised a child has to have passed the hunter safety course AND reach a minimum age (12 IIRC). From 15-16 they can hunt one year on an "apprentice" license, and then after that they cannot hunt supervised or otherwise w/o the safety class certification unless born before January 1st, 1967.

11. Gumbo4x4

Well, that would certainly explain the objection :rotfl2:

12. Gumbo4x4

Okay, you're going to have to explain the rest a bit. Not attending is fine, but not permitted to socialize with the kids? That doesn't seem a bit extreme?

13. Pigeon

Pigeon DIS Veteran

I think it's pretty self-explanatory. We don't own guns, don't hang out with people who own guns, and any family who thinks a gun-themed party for children is a good idea isn't anyone I'd want my kids near. YMMV.

14. donaldlovesdaisy

Maybe he/she has an irrational fear of their child being in a home where there are guns. I am not sure how anyone would know because I know if you walked into my house you would never know the amount of guns my husband owns because they are all safely and securely put away. My kids have no idea where they are or the info they would need to unlock them.

15. clutter

clutter <font color=FF66FF>Princess's Mom<br><font color=b

I wonder if they offer different themed targets. Like princess, monster, Dora, Ninja Turtle....

16. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

But how do you know that any kid your child may be friends with doesn't have a parent with a gun? You know not everyone that owns a gun is looking to be a gansta right? Some people actually use them for sport.

17. tiffjoy

tiffjoy DIS Veteran

This is a pretty common opinion in the area where I live, close to a major city. I grew up in redneckville, lol, where most of the guys in my high school class were out "sick" the first days of turkey or deer season. Almost everyone I knew grew up around guns. But in a city area, guns are perceived to be associated with gangs and criminals. When the topic occasionally comes up, most coworkers and friends are horrified that I shot a gun at age 6. The only ones who aren't are those who came from a similar background.

I know how to handle guns safely, so I don't perceive them as a threat (unless of course, they were to be used in that manner) or a reflection of whether I should be friends or not with someone.

It really depends completely on your perspective, and everyone is going to be different. This poster wouldn't be friends with me or my family. That's ok. Everyone has a right to determine how to raise their children.

18. donaldlovesdaisy

You forgot Mickey:smokin:

19. luvmy3

luvmy3 <font color=green>When I drink I find its easier t

You're going to get in trouble for that one :rotfl2:

20. joviroxx

joviroxx <font color=blue>rectally reporters television pro

Ok, so, do you ask people if they own guns before you hang out with them? How exactly do you know if they own guns or not? Are your kids allowed to hang out with kids whose parents are police officers?

21. traviesojmt

traviesojmt DIS Veteran

Or military? While we actually do not own guns, many of our military friends do own weapons. My DH would actually like to teach our DD how to safely and appropriately handle a gun. Her mom on the other hand (me) is a bit more opposed. I can't imagine refusing to associate with people because they own guns.

Regarding the party, if my DH was attending my one of my children, then I would not be opposed. He is trained in how to fire and handle a weapon. I would not let them attend without him though.