shoe recommendations for Grand Canyon

IloveAKL

Mouseketeer
Hello! We are one of those families who wear Crocs around WDW, however we are going to the Grand Canyon this summer. Just wondering what you recommend for foot wear. We aren't big hiker-types so we won't be doing any long or difficult trails. I don't own a pair of tennis shoes but if that is what I need for GC then I will gets a pair.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Barb

Are you climibing down into the canyon? All the trails around and above the canyon are gravel so a nice pair of tennis shoes is the minimum you should have. On our recent trip to the north rim, I wore hiking shoes that look like tennis shoes. Personally, I need the extra traction. If you are climbing down the canyon a really good pair of hiking boots is recommended.

Thanks Wendy! We will be doing only the easy trails. Sounds like tennis shoes are needed - don't want to get any of those little stones in our shoes!!

Are you climibing down into the canyon? All the trails around and above the canyon are gravel so a nice pair of tennis shoes is the minimum you should have. On our recent trip to the north rim, I wore hiking shoes that look like tennis shoes. Personally, I need the extra traction. If you are climbing down the canyon a really good pair of hiking boots is recommended.

True, but I have seen high heels and platform flip-flops on both South Kaibab and Bright Angel trails . . . :eek:

True, but I have seen high heels and platform flip-flops on both South Kaibab and Bright Angel trails . . . :eek:

I was amazed on our last trip how many tourists (especially Asian women) who wore high heals to the National Parks. I also saw a lot of flip flops. Go figure! :confused3

good question,I was thinking of this myself....we like crocs for ordinary walking,but solid sneakers should be ok for light and easy GC trails?

Closed shoes, not crocs, are important.
Yes, people wear flip flops, etc. I recall walking down the trail (just a short way) - this was Bright Angel Trail - very well kept, dirt but not rocky, and passing a woman at a way station with bloody feet - no exaggeration - her sandals had cut her to ribbons, she was only a few hundred feet down the trail. She ended up having to pay BIG bucks for a "mule haul out" - I am not sure they even offer that anymore (this was many years ago). Wow. I was glad I was wearing boots.

Also there are Cactus and stickers that can (and do) get through those croc holes on top, even in my back yard! (And I like crocs!!).

The desert is a rough arena with many surprises. :hippie:

I'd also recommend sneakers if you are doing easy trails or just walking along the south rim. Quite a lot of the main spots are blacktop or concrete but there are still some of the spots that are dirt, sanding and/or rocky. You can step out close to the rim so you'll want something with traction to it if that is your plan. PS I was just out there last week for a few days and I wore my sneakers while we were out walking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter