Shipping bottled water to resort... too much?

WinterSux

Earning My Ears
I ordering a box of goodies online to be shipped to the resort (sandals, battery powered fan, etc.), I am awfully tempted to add a 24 pack of bottled water...knowing that purchasing on property will likely be pricier. What do you guys think, too much?

many guests who stay onsite and don't have a car, do have packs of bottled water delivered to their hotel (Garden Grocers for example). Nothing awkward about doing this

I agree with pp about GG. We have ordered from them before. Just place an order on line and it will be waiting for you at the resort.

We buy breakfast items, water, soda, snacks...

there's a $14 dollar delivery fee and minimum order of $40.

You can ship a case of bottled water from Costco directly to your resort for $8.49 (no delivery fee!) We do this every trip...it saves so much. I think a single bottled water is $2.50 in the parks (multiply that by 24!) We stick a few in the freezer of our in-room fridge the night before and they are ready to go by the morning. Also- be sure to bring can koozies because they 'sweat' and get everything in your bag wet. :)

We always get bottled water, especially in summer months. A few points to consider- read the thread called 'shipping to your resort.' It has ideas, rules, addresses, etc.

Keep in mind, some of the resorts charge a fee. Some do not, and it's a little random. The ones with a business center (convention resorts) charge, where as at least last time I checked- the value resorts do not. the last time we shipped to our resort we were charged like $10 pre case of water....add in delivery costs from Costco- and the savings was not much.

A second point to consider is that you an get free cups of ice water at any quick serve. Some places- like the ice cream carts- don't have drink dispensers- but any quick serve place will give you some. That said, I'm rarely willing to make a detour just to get ice water - esp if there is a long line. I just always make sure to get water for everyone at every meal - even if we also get another drink. Remember the days when restaurants always gave diners water in addition to drinks?...

The water that Costco ships is usually just filtered FLorida water. So it's a little better than drinking from the tap, but not much. If you are drinking bottled water to escape the taste of FL water, then you need to pay attention to what brand you get. Disney sells Dasani- which is filtered water.

Still one more popular trick is to use flavor packets. the one thing I noticed about those is some contain lots of food coloring.

We are lucky enough to often fly Southwest, so I sometimes am able to bring a checked bag with at about a 12pack of water. Otherwise....I sorta think of water and groceries as part of the justification for getting a rental car, especially if you also eat lunch offsite on arrival/departure day.

I'm staying at CSR, just realized there is a fee for handling packages. Bummer! Guess we'll have to run out to a Walmart or something when we get there.

I put mine in my luggage in a ginormous ziplock. I bring a carry on with me of course. The space that was taken up by the water is then used for the souvenirs that I buy.

I haven't gone over the 50lbs requirement yet.

I'm staying at CSR, just realized there is a fee for handling packages. Bummer! Guess we'll have to run out to a Walmart or something when we get there.

There is a HESS express about .25 mi from the front of the Boardwalk Resort that sells cases of water. It is easily walk-able if you take a Disney bus to/from Hollywood Studios.

here is a link to the map

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/72855470

maptohess.png

If you don't want to deal with Walmart, at least in terms of how long it takes-there are other options.

If you JUST want water, then the Hess stations on property carry it. They also carry gas station food. You won't get much in terms of brand variation, but it is quick. Generally, they are also not a bad place to gas up. There's a big one near the auto Care Center.

One of my new faves- if you can stop on your way from the airport- is the Whole Foods at Sand Lake Rd. Take the North Airport exit. It is right off I-4, just a quick U-turn. Not exactly a budget place to shop, but if you want high quality treats, it's amazing! They have everything from fresh squeezed juices, brick oven pizza, huge hot bar/cold bar offerings, full bakery, barrista, chocolate shop.....It's a great place to get a quick healthy lunch. They have a nice dining area too.

There's also a Publix behind the outlet mall just the other side of I-4 from DTD. they also have a pretty good selection.

The problem I had last time I went to that Walmart was they had nearly everything in Mega sized boxes. They were way more than we needed. They do have a big Disney section.

Still one more optin, if you just want a few thigns- the numerous area Walgreen's. Many are open 24 hours and you might save the effort of packing certain liquid toiletries. they also stock a few basic groceries. Not super cheap, but we recently got spring water for $3 a 24 bottle case.

There is another Hess station at DTD.
parking lot entrance 2, just across the street

but you still need to haul that 24 pack on the bus ...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! Walgreens or Hess both sound like great options. Whole Foods I LOVE but they definitely are not a budget option. Still good to know there is easy access to one and I'm sure still cheaper than on property!

Or you can just get cups of ice water from quick service restaurants - it's free :thumbsup2 In addition to doing this, DH used a refillable water bottle on our last trip, and just filled it up at fountains during the day. Froze it overnight and it was great in the morning - kept our oranges cold in the backpack too!

That's not really a viable option for people who drink a good bit of water throughout the day. If I stood in line to get a cup of water every time I needed some, I would spend more time in counter service lines than attraction lines.

We always keep a case of water in the room and bring a liter bottle with us in our suitcase and refill that each night, then a couple times throughout the day when in the parks.

You can always buy a gallon of water for $3.00 in resort store. It fit in our room fridge with room to spare. Just fill cups and bottles.:thumbsup2:goodvibes

I'm at WDW now, we ended up driving to a 7-Eleven close to CSR and got a case of 24 for $4.99. :)

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get a 30 pack of "TalkingRain" Spring Water delivered for $15. We were going to do that, but then I waited too long and missed the Friday delivery window. It wasn't worth it to get that much water to our room on Monday. We ended up not needing it because we would just get water with our QSM at the resort and drink / refill those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter