Shingles!!!...Terrible...Awful...Horrible

My 30-something- year-old neighbor is recovering from shingles. She also got it in her eye and one-half of her face.
She is preaching to everyone to go get vaccinated!
My insurance will not cover it for my age but I am going to inquire as to how much it would be at CVS and pay out of pocket.

I don't know what state you are in, but regardless of insurance or willingness to pay out of pocket, many states will not administer it. In MA they will not give the vaccine to anyone under 60, it's the state law. Does not matter if you are willing to pay, or if you have a dr. prescription, they will not administer it to anyone under 60. You can go to NH to get it if you are 50, but you need a dr. prescription. From what I understand, they wont give it to anyone under 50 since it has not been studied in anyone under this age.

I have been wanting this vaccine, but have to wait until I am 50.

Shingles is not 'an old person's disease'.
Age really has nothing to do with it.

In many people, who have had the virus as a kid, or who were vaccinated, their immunity will keep this at bay for a while.
But, the effectiveness and immunity WANES over time. So, it is just that time factor. Not age.
My sister had Shingles in her 20s.

They is why they are now recommending re-vax for adults.

I have heard of taking Neurontin for the excruciating pain.
This drug does often work on nerve pain.
And, there are other things to try as well.

OMG, I can't imagine how painful this must be.

Earlier this year my husband who's 59 had a small rash on his right shoulder. It wasn't painful or itchy, so we didn't really suspect Shingles, but he saw our doctor just in case, that's what it turned out to be. He was very lucky it was so mild.

I had a mild case on my eyelid and forehead when I was 45. It was a few months after a very stressful time in my life and I do think that played a part in it.

I've had the chicken pox as a child and I got the shingles vaccine 2 years ago. Now I'm wondering, how long is the shot good for? Do you need to get it every year?
It's a one time shot. And the effectiveness is only about 50% for people 60 and over.

DH and I both got the vaccine last month as we're in the "at risk" demographic - older than 60. Neither of us know if we've had chicken pox! Both my parents are deceased, and none of my three sisters remembers. DH's mother said "I'm 86 years old and had seven children! How do you expect me to remember who had what and when!?" So, better safe than sorry. I'm encouraging DD#2 to get the vaccine, as she had chicken pox at age 12 (she's now 42). If I remember correctly, the pharmacist at Publix said it cost $30 if you don't have insurance coverage for it. Small price to pay!

Queen Colleen

Both my parents had shingles, and they really suffered; my mom still has nerve pain nearly two years later. My dad's shingles actually began on his foot, of all places; terrible pain! I'm getting the vaccine next month.

Thanks for sharing everyone! Still amazed how common it seems to be and feel so bad for anyone who has had to suffer through it and as a result of it.

My brother is still in really bad pain but it seems like they are managing it better. But it is severe enough that they just decided to keep him in the hospital at least until sometime Friday. This is actually a good thing because they are watching the eye closely and keep the pain under control a bit.

I had shingles at 46. I had a weird virus that left me susceptible to everything. I had the virus, then the worst case of strep throat I've ever had, then shingles. I haven't had the vaccine yet, but keep meaning to.

I go to an HMO and have been switched Doctors 5 times since then - in the last 7 years! I got assigned to the "new Doctor" and the new doctor keeps leaving and getting replaced. I just met my new Doctor and forgot to mention it.

When my sister got shingles (late 40s) her doctor made her go to an ophthalmologist immediately - like 30 minutes later. He even called to confirm that she showed up. Hers was on her forehead and they were very concerned about it reaching the eyes.

My father had a bad case in his 80s. He thought he had poison ivy. How he could have gotten poison ivy in the middle of an ice storm in January is beyond me.

If you ever even have the tiniest thought that you might have shingles get to a doctor IMMEDIATELY. There are drugs that can help control it but they do nothing after about 48 hours.

I got the vaccine 2 days before I was even eligible although my insurance did pay for it. I think the cost varies between $100 and $200 if not covered by insurance.

The same thing happened to my MIL. She had shingles on the side of her face, across her eye and onto her forehead. She was under the close care of an eye doctor, as well as a medical doctor. After her terrible bout with shingles, she slowly slid downhill over a period of months and died. :( She did have other health issues, but I believe the lingering unbearable nerve pain from shingles was a contributing factor to her death. She had gotten the vaccine previously and it did not work for her.

The painful side effect of the vaccine is the slight prick of the needle.

The painful side effect of the vaccine is the slight prick of the needle.
You obviously missed where I said she had the vaccine. It has at least a 50% failure rate. With tomorrow being my husbands first Mother's Day without his Mom, I'll refrain from telling you what I really think about your post.

You obviously missed where I said she had the vaccine. It has at least a 50% failure rate. With tomorrow being my husbands first Mother's Day without his Mom, I'll refrain from telling you what I really think about your post.

This was directed to those afraid of needles adverse reactions Minimal. Also:

Findings show that the shingles vaccine also helps people who go on to develop shingles have shorter periods of nerve pain called post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN), which is extremely painful and can last anywhere from 30 days to months or even years after the rash has resolved. The nerve pain associated with shingles can be so severe in some people that it disrupts their lives

OP, I feel so sorry for your brother. What a miserable disease. My neighbor had it last year around this time and was in excruciating pain. I took her to the ER and even skipped a day of work to stay with her until her daughter could come down to care for her. The lingering results have changed her. She's not the energizer bunny she was before. She still runs rings around most 70 year olds, but not like she did. I got the shot late last summer. Had a pretty dramatic reaction at the injection site with some swelling, but no pain. Scary, awful disease.

I had it a few months ago. No picnic. Sure does hurt. I feel so fortunate it did not affect my eyes though. Mine was all on my stomach and lower back mostly on the right side.
I feel so bad for anyone who is affected on their face especially their eyes.

I had shingles when I was 36. it was horrible. I thought I had pulled a muscle in my side at first. I finally went to the dr. and he took on look at the rash and said you have shingles. I was like that is an old person's disease. It was very painful. I still had nerve pain for a couple of years after. I had it on my right side at my ribs. I noticed it the most when I was stressed.

The same thing happened to my MIL. She had shingles on the side of her face, across her eye and onto her forehead. She was under the close care of an eye doctor, as well as a medical doctor. After her terrible bout with shingles, she slowly slid downhill over a period of months and died. :( She did have other health issues, but I believe the lingering unbearable nerve pain from shingles was a contributing factor to her death. She had gotten the vaccine previously and it did not work for her.

That is so sad. I'm sorry.

OP and others - I am sorry.

And thank you to the poster who posted about natural childbirth. The quote I remember the most when I started to research what my strange rash was about - a woman stated that she had four children and she would give birth to them all over again instead of shingles.

I missed the three day window on my shingles. And it was hellish. I spent days just rocking in a ball. I fully understood the addiction to pain meds when I finally got them.

And I've had an organ removed not even close in pain levels, nothing compared to that pain.

Okay, shutting up now. Even the commercials make me shudder with the memory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter