Sheraton Vistana vs Hilton Grand International vs Onsite WDW?

kwlewis10

Mouseketeer
My MIL has RCI points and we have the option of doing Sheraton Vistana, Hilton Grand or paying out of pocket to stay onsite. We've only done one Disney trip and stayed onsite at AKL. This time, since MIL is coming, we'd have to get 2 rooms and have a baby this time - in addition to our to-be 5 and 3 year olds. So dragging 3 kids back and forth to the parks with just 2 adults (MIL will not be with us always) will be work. No naps planned - 17m baby can sleep in stroller as big sis did at 20 months.

I really prefer to stay on-site but the budget is screaming no since we are paying for MIL; though I think there are some RCI costs involved. We really are not value resort type people, so those are out. But for convenience it just makes sense to stay on-site. MIL and my family will be going in different directions 1/2 the time so only having 1 car, if that, would be difficult. We're not planning on Universal or Sea World or anything else. Just golf for DH but he could do that on-site.

Any feedback on which resort would be better (or onsite) would be greatly appreciated. How easy is it to get on/off property and park for MK? How far are the 2 resorts from WDW? How are the pools - MIL will likely spend a lot of time there?

Do I even have the Sheraton part for Vistana right for RCI participation? I read some other posts about the Vistana and wonder if the non-Sheraton part is ok for my picky family? But the Hilton Grand looks over the top.

Thanks!

HGVC is newer and I love the tuscan theming. We are HGVC owners (at the Seaworld one) and have stayed at both, I prefer the I-drive one. Grocery store and strip mall is right across the street.

Vistana has several sections, some older and I've heard in need of renovation. It's a huge place with alot of pools and closer to Disney. I've never stayed there but my SIL has, she said it was ok but they'd do something different next time.

I would choose HGVC if it were me.

Thanks! I think we're going to look into booking HGV. I just hope the drive to Disney isn't too bad. Nor is the cost of potentially getting 2 rental cars.

I read too many iffy reviews this afternoon on the Vistana that I'm afraid to risk it. And figured out that there is a difference b/c Vistana Resort (through RCI; questionable) and Vistana Villages (not RCI; nice one).

The drive to Disney from HGVC Intl Drive is not bad at all--especially as long as you take Intl Dr South to where it intersects with what becomes World Drive. It is a straight shot to the Disney Parks. I have stayed at HGVC Intl Dr and it is a lovely resort. The villas are really spacious and would be preferable to me than a hotel room. Good luck with your decision.

Hilton Grand is rated No. 2 on Trip Advisor (beating out all the Disney resorts) - go for it. :)

Compare the RCI exchange fee + car rental/parking costs to two Moderate rooms, and I think you'll see that the offsite condo is a pretty good deal.

We are heading down the path of booking either the Hilton or Bonnet Creek (stumbled on that last night!). It will most likely make much more sense to budget-minded me to stay off-site.

Thanks for your feedback! There is so much to do when planning what I thought would be a simple trip.

if you can get Bonnett Creek would go with it.

Otherwise might just go with Sheraton Vistana or Cypress Pointe - since you aren't resort people.

they are both closer to WDW than the Hilton's.

although the Hilton's are lovely!!!

on site go with Pop Century. Yes it is a value resort. It has some of best bus transportation (at least for me) that WDW has. Since it is a budget resort might even work into your budget.

the other - All Star Music suites - is for a family of 5.

now FW cabins are nice they sleep 6. but they are not cheap.

Bonnett Creek has transportation to WDW for FREE (only the DVC resorts have them before BC in timeshares). but like other offsite you are lucky if it comes once an hour.

Another vote for HGVC. I personally avoid Vistana b/c there are too many inconsistencies there with all of the sections and it is huge. We loved HGVC Sea World and would stay again.

I noticed you said you stayed at AKL. Last time I looked at it, the Sheraton Vistana was much closer to MK than AKL. So, if you were comfortable with drive from AKL, I'd say the Sheraton (or either of the other choices) should be fine.

The Sheraton Vistana (main resort) is large and has many sections. Some new and some older. RCI tends to give out the older ones to RCI exchangers unfortunately. Give this resort another 2-3 years for all major remodeling to be complete. Almost all sections are being redone. Hilton is a newer and spiffier resort for sure. Vistana is closer to WDW. We can get to Epcot in 8-10 min and MK maybe 15 min. We also stay onsite alot and found we can get to and from our resort faster than by using the disney busses. However you do save money and have the convenience of not needing a second car.

So until the Vistana finishes their rehabbing, I'd go with the Hilton. Two rooms at a disney resort would be costly (more so than renting a second car especially if you don't intend on staying at a moderate).

The Sheraton Vistana (main resort) is large and has many sections. Some new and some older. RCI tends to give out the older ones to RCI exchangers unfortunately. Give this resort another 2-3 years for all major remodeling to be complete. Almost all sections are being redone. Hilton is a newer and spiffier resort for sure. Vistana is closer to WDW. We can get to Epcot in 8-10 min and MK maybe 15 min. We also stay onsite alot and found we can get to and from our resort faster than by using the disney busses. However you do save money and have the convenience of not needing a second car.

So until the Vistana finishes their rehabbing, I'd go with the Hilton. Two rooms at a disney resort would be costly (more so than renting a second car especially if you don't intend on staying at a moderate).

I totally agree with Maria! I am also a Sheraton Vistana Owner...but I own in the Lakes and Cascades, the two newest sections of the resort. Right now, the Lakes are being refurbished...but almost all of the other sections aren't too far behind! Like Maria said, in 2-3 years, every single room at this resort will be practically brand new and absolutely GORGEOUS.

Also, if you look at the Unofficial Guide to WDW, you will notice that the distance between Vistana Resort and the Disney theme parks is LESS than resorts ACTUALLY on site! It literally takes us 10 minutes to get to MK parking. 10 minutes to get to Epcot and MGM. A LITTLE longer to AK. Less than 5 minutes to get to DTD (yes, I even walked that long walk once!). The location simply cannot be beat!!!

I saw you mentioned Bonnet Creek...I'd stay there! IT'S ON WDW PROPERTY WITH FREE SHUTTLES! :yay:

My MIL has RCI points and we have the option of doing Sheraton Vistana, Hilton Grand or paying out of pocket to stay onsite. We've only done one Disney trip and stayed onsite at AKL. This time, since MIL is coming, we'd have to get 2 rooms and have a baby this time - in addition to our to-be 5 and 3 year olds. So dragging 3 kids back and forth to the parks with just 2 adults (MIL will not be with us always) will be work. No naps planned - 17m baby can sleep in stroller as big sis did at 20 months.

I really prefer to stay on-site but the budget is screaming no since we are paying for MIL; though I think there are some RCI costs involved. We really are not value resort type people, so those are out. But for convenience it just makes sense to stay on-site. MIL and my family will be going in different directions 1/2 the time so only having 1 car, if that, would be difficult. We're not planning on Universal or Sea World or anything else. Just golf for DH but he could do that on-site.

Any feedback on which resort would be better (or onsite) would be greatly appreciated. How easy is it to get on/off property and park for MK? How far are the 2 resorts from WDW? How are the pools - MIL will likely spend a lot of time there?

Do I even have the Sheraton part for Vistana right for RCI participation? I read some other posts about the Vistana and wonder if the non-Sheraton part is ok for my picky family? But the Hilton Grand looks over the top.

Thanks!

I have stayed at both, since I own with RCI at parkway.
STAY away from the Vistanna, the place is so not worth the exchange. Rooms are old, not clean, and the people are soooo rude. It ruined my whole Disney trip - so not a magical experience.
Hilton is awesome and absolutely gorgeous, parking is the only issue when you get back late from the parks, unless the have added since i was there.
If you can get into Bonnett Creek, I would recommend, the waiting list is long for that and is worth it. Plus counts as on site :)
Have a great trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter