Sheraton Vistana Resort Questions

You may know this already, but wanted to let you know just in case, that the Get Away offer is completely NON-REFUNDABLE under all circumstances. Even with the insurance, it would have to be a life-threatening emergency to get your trip refunded. Something to consider when booking. We're staying there with a GetAway as well in April. Looking forward to it. Will post our comments after our stay!

Hello all. Are there any trip reports about this hotel? I am staying in a 2b in July, offsite for the first time in a very long time....I'm sooooo nervous!!!

Help me feel better.....

Hello all. Are there any trip reports about this hotel? I am staying in a 2b in July, offsite for the first time in a very long time....I'm sooooo nervous!!!

Help me feel better.....

I'll have one for you in about three weeks. We are doing a split stay there at the end of the month. I've read GREAT things about it and we're looking forward to it. I'll post pics and comments when we get back. So subscribe!!

You may know this already, but wanted to let you know just in case, that the Get Away offer is completely NON-REFUNDABLE under all circumstances. Even with the insurance, it would have to be a life-threatening emergency to get your trip refunded. Something to consider when booking. We're staying there with a GetAway as well in April. Looking forward to it. Will post our comments after our stay!

Thanks for that info. For what we're paying for the week, it wouldn't be a big deal to eat the cost if something horrid came up and we had to cancel. I'm glad you said that, saves me the $$$ of buying the trip insurance!

Looking forward to the spring/summer resort reports. Everyone take lots of pictures, okKKKKKK =)

After reading about Sheraton Vistana on the disboard, I decided to check into renting here for our vacation. I noticed that there are no nonsmoking units available. Is there such a thing here?:confused3

I noticed that there are no nonsmoking units available. Is there such a thing here?

If you get a newly refurbished room, smoking is only allowed on the balcony. There is threat of a surcharge for smoking in the villa. So specify "newly remodeled room and non-smoking villa" on your request.

Maria

After reading about Sheraton Vistana on the disboard, I decided to check into renting here for our vacation. I noticed that there are no nonsmoking units available. Is there such a thing here?:confused3

In all my research on this resort (lots) I've never read that anywhere. I've also never heard or read any complaints of smoke smells. I can't imagine that a Starwood resort would make all of their resorts smoking rooms. I would call them directly. They are very helpful. I didn't even think to request a non-smoking room. I'm assuming the majority of them are non-smoking.

ansadler :I can't imagine that a Starwood resort would make all of their resorts smoking rooms. I would call them directly. They are very helpful. I didn't even think to request a non-smoking room. I'm assuming the majority of them are non-smoking.

Having been a Vistana owner for 15 years, yes, I can attest that ALL rooms have been, for years, "smoking optional".

In light of Vistana losing it's Gold Crown status (18 mos to 24 mos ago approx), and in an effort to regain that status, Starwood has authorized the major remodel of the resort and made these newly updated rooms non-smoking. This is new for Vistana. And a great move in a forward direction if you ask me. :)

Maria

Thanks for responding.

I called Sheraton and they told me to call the resort directly. I called the Vistana Villages and the rep told me about the 'smoking optional' policy and that I should not encounter a problem with smoky smells. She assured me that should we encounter a problem, we could be moved to a different unit.

I just don't want to go and have bad headaches the entire time... I don't understand why there can't be separate buildings for smoking/nonsmoking guests and owners.

twinglesmome ~
I know they told you about the smoking optional policy, but I'm confused now. This is direct from the Vistana owner's website :
Beginning January 1, 2009, Sheraton is going smoke-free. All Sheraton Vacation Ownership resorts request that guests refrain from smoking in all enclosed public areas and smoking inside the villas at the resort. The balcony and lanai, if so equipped, of the villa is a designated smoking area.

Also, there are signs in the villa and I believe I recall you are explained it at check-in, if you smoke in the villa, and they have to incur sanitizing measures after you check out, you will incur a surcharge.

Maria

Maria,

I will be at the resort the first week of August with my wife and four children ages 9, 6, 5, and 5. I am unsure what area of the resort to request. I realize that the resort may not be able to accomodate my requests. Any suggestions from you would be appreciated.

Villa Location (Cascades, Lakes, Fountains I, Fountains II, Springs, and Falls):
Closer to the more kid-type pools would be best. Proximity helps with four young ones.
Steps vs Elevator? No mobility issues other than luggage and young children. The steps are not a major concern but wondering if you had any strong opinions.

Villa Type:
The two bedroom villas (NO lockoff) with two full size beds in the guestroom sound like a good fit for my family. Not sure how this translates to villa locations, pool proximity or other concerns.

Pool Type:
The zero depth entry pools with fountains at the Cascades and Lakes make sense for my young children. Are any of the other kid friendly pools whereas my young ones can stay in the very shallow end without an adult right at their side?

I know there are alot of general questions here, but any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike......
In light of your requests...particularily the zero depth.....the Cascades and the Lakes are the only ones with that feature. So I'd say the best for the little ones, though kiddie pools are at every pool as well.

We have traveled to Vistana since kids were very young (2 and up). The stairs were never a big issue. We actually prefer the highest floor for the quiet factor. And in the Fountains, the 3rd floor is has a vaulted ceiling with a skylight in the living room. But you can always request ground floor.

I do want you to know, that all the units you listed will be newly remodeled by Aug---except for Cascades, but that is the newest section and least in need of remodel anyway. The Falls has two TWIN sized beds in second bedroom vs 2 DOUBLE sized beds. Some of the two bedroom villas in the Lakes and especially the Cascades are lockouts. Owners here have the option to stay in one side and rent out the other. I feel they do try and rent out the dedicated two bedrooms before the lockouts so they can split the lockouts into two rentals.

Aside from the issue of the lockouts (which you would run a chance of getting), the Lakes and Cascades sound like the best for you : zero depth pools and elevators

Hope this helps........please feel free to ask any other questions you might have........

Maria

We checked in last night and have be SOOOO impressed. We are in the Fountains I section, building 5. We got a poolview (2 min walk to pool/food court/arcade, etc). It's also refurbished. It is absolutely gorgeous and huge. We have a 2 bedroom that sleeps eight. We have plans to move to Wilderness Lodge on Monday, but it's so amazing I could easily stay!!! The Fountains pool does NOT have a slide but is huge and has a waterfall for the kids to play under. The small kiddie pool is roped off, not sure why. There are two hot tubs. Post any questions here or PM me. I'll try to get pics up soon. Check in was easy breezy and everyone has been super helpful. Oh, in my building there is NO ELEVATOR and we are on third floor. Burning more calories is no problem, but definitely check if that is an issue. The food court has KFC, A&W, and Pizza Hut with Edy's ice cream. They will also deliver all of that to your room but it's a lengthy wait.

I'll check in again with pics soon!!!

Oh, in my building there is NO ELEVATOR and we are on third floor. Burning more calories is no problem, but definitely check if that is an issue. The food court has KFC, A&W, and Pizza Hut with Edy's ice cream. They will also deliver all of that to your room but it's a lengthy wait.

Thanks for the update ansadler !

The only sections that have elevators are the Lakes and Cascades. The plus to getting the 3rd floor is you get the vaulted ceiling and skylight in the living room.

And I have never waited more than 30 min for food. Has this been happening consistantly when you order ?

Looking forward to hearing more.........oh......do they still make you stop at the guard station and show ID upon reentering the resort in the evening ?
Maria

Thanks for the update ansadler !

The only sections that have elevators are the Lakes and Cascades. The plus to getting the 3rd floor is you get the vaulted ceiling and skylight in the living room.

And I have never waited more than 30 min for food. Has this been happening consistantly when you order ?

Looking forward to hearing more.........oh......do they still make you stop at the guard station and show ID upon reentering the resort in the evening ?
Maria

Hey Maria. Only food experience was Fountains Food Court. 35 minute wait for food for family of 5. I asked a delivery guy that was passing by my building if that was typical. He said no, apologized, and then met me over and then found me back at the food court and gave me tickets for three free meals. Very nice!!

They aren't checking my resort card but are just checking my parking pass hanging on the rear view. Not sure what they do for people without a car. Will try to find out.

About to post room pics!

Angela

This is from Fountains I, Building 5 overlooking food court and pool. (3rd floor)

Living room:
IMG_0202.JPG

Master bedroom:

IMG_0200.JPG

More master bedroom:
IMG_0199.JPG

Master bath:

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

extra sink area in master.....so nice...so spacious..
IMG_0196.JPG

screened in porch overlooking fountains pool and food court:
IMG_0201.JPG

We enjoyed the Fountains pool this afternoon. Two great hot tubs, great poolside bar. Not too crowded, very family-friendly. Looking forward to movie by the pool tonight, games and s'mores.

Angela

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the resort itself? I would really like to see the layout of all the buildings and pools etc. before I make any request. I can't find one anywhere.....:confused3:confused3:confused3

the resort is divided into two sides....here's the maps :

The FALLS and PALMS sections are along the left edge of this first map. Couldn't fit the whole thing on my scanner bed :

scan0001Cascades.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Hey Maria. Only food experience was Fountains Food Court. 35 minute wait for food for family of 5. I asked a delivery guy that was passing by my building if that was typical. He said no, apologized, and then met me over and then found me back at the food court and gave me tickets for three free meals. Very nice!!

That was great u got the free meal tickets. I don't consider 30 min that bad for a resort the size of Vistana---I just think it's great they even offer room service. But when you're hungry, it probably feels extra long.

Continue to enjoy your trip.

Maria

Tonight we went to the fountains recreation center for a poolside movie and s'mores. Here are some pics of that area.

Entrance to Fountains Rec. Center. (has business center, food court, cafe/bar, lockers/restrooms, workout room)
IMG_0204.JPG

Inside the food court:
IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

Volleyball net area of pool:
IMG_0207.JPG

Other side of pool (waterfall turned off to get ready for poolside movie) Big screen:
IMG_0208.JPG

One of two hot tubs:
IMG_0210.JPG

Playground:
IMG_0211.JPG

Pool facing Recreation center:
IMG_0212.JPG

We had a great time by the pool. Staff were very engaging, reading stories to the kids, selling s'more kits by a firepit and also had popcorn for sale.

Headed to Epcot tomorrow, so time for some sleep. Hope the pics are helpful. I'll hopefully have time to tour the rest of the property and take more pics before we leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter