Share Your "We Didn't Bring a Stroller" Stories

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by camdensmom, Nov 24, 2012.

1. NHKristy76

NHKristy76 Senior Mousketeer

After she turned 3, we never used a stroller at WDW or anywhere else for our daughter. This meant that we couldn't push her around the parks into the wee hours of the night but that was okay by us!

I might be a bit biased though... I get annoyed seeing kids who can walk sitting in strollers. :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. katie111

katie111 DIS Veteran

I have 3 kids and have done several trips on my own with the kids without DH. What I never understand about these questions is why its a big deal to push a stroller through the airport. Its no different than pushing it anywhere else. You just have to fold it up for a minute to go through security. Otherwise your kids can be in it or you can put you carry-ons in it & push them around. I think its easier to have a stroller at the airport as the kids are often tired there too. I've taken a double stroller on my own through the airport several times and I found it quite useful.

Personally I would never attempt Disney without a stroller with two 3 year olds. I just took one for my 5 year old & he used it a lot. He doesn't use one at home & he's certainly not a lazy kid but we all walk very fast in our family & it gives him a place to relax. I know there are kids who are 2 and can walk 40 miles in a day without complaining but I just don't have those kids, and I don't think most people do.

4. jlstwinmommy

jlstwinmommy Mouseketeer

Here is my success story:

I took my twins when they were just over 3. We hadn't been using a stroller for a while (and we are big walkers at home - take a family walk 3-4 times a week). We went for 8 days. There was only 1 day where I wondered if we should have rented a stroller and that was after a late night the night before. We ended up toughing it out that day and just had an early bed time. The rest of the week, we did not have a need for a stroller at all. The twins were fine walking the parks. In fact, we commented to each other how liberated we felt not having the stroller to watch after and park at each ride. We also had my older child and my parents with us on that trip, but no one needed to carry a child the entire time.

I know each family is different, but it did work for us.

5. princesspwrhr

princesspwrhr DIS Veteran

You will be fine. None of my kids ever used a stroller at Disney past 2 - by their choice.

My oldest dd used a stroller some of the time on her first trip when she was 2, but usually refused it. (December) Refused it soundly the next year when she was 3 (December) and I didn't bother bringing it when she was 4 (December) or 5 (late May). Not once did she ask for a stroller.

When my oldest was 6 and we went (September) I had a stroller for my 8 month old and I was 7 months pg. The thought of sitting in the stroller never crossed my 6yo's mind and she never complained.

The next year (December) I had a double stroller for the Irish Twins at almost 2 and 1. No worries about the kids, but strollers, especially doubles, at WDW are a pain. My 7yo wouldn't have even considered asking for a stroller.

The following year I took my 8yo on a bday trip just her. (August) Obviously no stroller. For Christmas we went as a family and brought my 7yo niece. We had two single umbrella strollers for the IT's who were almost 3 and just turned 2. It was more effort to keep track of the stroller and attempt to have them sit in it then it was worth. They wanted nothing to do with it and by day 3 we left the strollers at the resort except Epcot day thinking they would want it- WRONG. From my 8 yo I heard no complaints. From my two 2yos, I heard complaints when we wanted them in the strollers. From my 7yo niece I heard constant whining and complaining, she tried to sit in a stroller at every opportunity (she was and is far to big for the stroller, nearly twice the size of my oldest)

Two summers later (July) a work trip had us tagging along with dh. Oldest was almost 10, younger two were 3 & 4. No stroller, no problems.

That's unfortunately the last time the younger girls have been. My oldest has gone for gymnastics competitions between then and our next family trip this coming summer. We live 5 minutes from Busch Gardens Williamsburg and bought annual passes once the shorter girls were tall enough to ride things. They have never ever had a stroller there and never ever complained and that park is hilly, the quick queue costs extra $ so we don't do it and it's generally crowded.

You have plenty of adults, you have options for a stroller if it seems like you need it and most of the time when we did have strollers we found that we parked it in one "land", explored the attractions and moved the stroller (usually sans child) to another land and repeated the process.

6. deanimal

deanimal DIS Veteran

We went when our kids were 2.5 and almost 4 and found we didn't use strollers much inside the parks, but found them very handy going to and from the parks. We brought a lightweight Maclaren stroller as our main stroller and used the basket to dump jackets, lunch bags, water bottles, sunscreen, etc so we didn't need to lug a backpack. We also brought a super cheap umbrella stroller and basically dumped it in a stroller parking area near the entrance. My older daughter always walked all day in the parks, but would crash on the way out, and this way we didn't have to carry two exhausted kids back to the hotel room.

I found that two umbrella strollers weren't that hard to bring through the airport or onto the bus or tram, and if needed we could even wedge the smaller one into the basket of the Maclaren stroller and have the flexibility of one or two strollers as needed.

Another suggestion is to take the kids on an all day trip to the zoo, or a science centre or something as a trial. If they can keep going all day, then you'll probably be fine. If they start to flag after seven or eight hours, then a full day in the theme parks might be too much without a stroller too.

7. Donald Duck888

Donald Duck888 Mouseketeer

Wow I am glad to have stumbled on to this thread as I will be taking my first "daddy daughter trip" this spring and am probably going to forgo the carriage for the first time as my daughter will be 6.

It has been very interesting to read other people experiences with this.

8. ktlm

ktlm DIS Veteran

Having taken DD to WDW at age 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, in my opinion it is a huge mistake not to take a stroller for the 3 year old twins. DD was not a stroller kid at all, refusing to ride in it from 12 months old EXCEPT for at WDW. To give you an idea of DD's energy level, at age 6, we just returned 2 weeks ago and the kid is an absolute commando. Our first full day we were at Epcot from 9:00 a.m., to 9:00 p.m. and our second day at MK from 8:45 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and her little feet and legs kept up the whole time. There is no way, we could have made it at WDW without a stroller at age 3. WDW is too huge. DH would have been carrying a 3 year old a lot, and you have 2 of them to carry. The plastic park strollers are not comfortable, and would not have worked for us. DD would nap in her stroller in the afternoon, and I know she could not have done that in the park strollers. You're taking a short trip, so you probably don't want to take a bunch of breaks, and you want to experience all the Christmas stuff, so I'm assuming you will be in the parks at night to experience the Christmas lights etc. I think that makes a stroller all the more needed. If you rent from the parks, once you turn it in, someone is going to be carrying those three year olds from the stroller place out to whatever transporation you are using which can be a long walk. Plus, you may be spending a long time in the mornings in the stroller line. Sure, you can manage with the park strollers if you absolutely have to and a lot of people do it, but it wouldn't be our choice.