Shanghai DL already trashed....

Unbelievable! Well, Disney is in for a rude awakening. It's going to be very interesting to see how much more money that park is going to lose and how much more we are going to have to pay to enjoy the US parks.:rolleyes:

It's been all over twitter world since the weekend.
Absolutely not surprised at all.
This is exactly what I expected to happen.

The major reason why I questioned Disney's decision to build there.
This will be a never ending issue with that park and the costs to maintain it will be off the charts.
Disney needs to cap their spending and for all they spend to clean up, it comes out of expansion.

Interesting.I've visited lots of Chinese temples with very big crowds of Chinese tourists and never seen anything like that. Within the temple grounds anyways. I've seen people and kids relieving themselves on the street and alongside canals but never on anyone's property.

Possibly more respect will be shown within SDL. On the other hand the park is so big with ... parklike ... open spaces, maybe the park as a whole will be treated like they treated the entrance area. In other words almost like a public street or wayside green space.

I read about these concerns years ago on other forums, when they were in the planning phase. Honestly I had no idea it was like that in China until I read some travel blogs. I would certainly hope it is not like that everywhere? The kids squatting and using the bathroom like that is the most appalling. I read somewhere they will even do that on the trains. I must say though it does not look good for Disney!

I'm not surprised by this either. The fact is that a lot of people in China have come from very poor to very rich quickly and haven't yet had the social changes that are done gradually the way other countries have. Driving in China is also quite crazy from the videos I've seen.

Years ago I read how the government had selected a small city near Shanghai and were attempting to train ... err teach ... everyone in the city to stop spitting on the street, defecating, littering, to treat everyone with polite respect, and so on. It was an explicit goal, starting with this town, to make every city in China as clean and respectable as Singapore. I guess it's still a work in progress.

You can break this down into separate problems. There is a rough, crude, farm-based culture from which many city dwellers are only one or two generations removed. The thing with kids doing their business on the street is mostly because diapers are too expensive for the average Chinese family. Adults go on the street because there are few public washrooms and they charge money. The graffiti may be done by plain old disrespectful punks like in any city anywhere (except Singapore) or it may be because of the official disrespect shown to the USA in general (over the South China Sea dispute) and shown to Disney in particular when Iger visited last year.

Finally, the idea of showing off the train station and the entrance to the park but not opening the park itself was a bad one. Instead of attracting paying guests it attracted loafers, riffraff and tire kickers who can afford train fare but not much else.

I read about these concerns years ago on other forums, when they were in the planning phase. Honestly I had no idea it was like that in China until I read some travel blogs. I would certainly hope it is not like that everywhere? The kids squatting and using the bathroom like that is the most appalling. I read somewhere they will even do that on the trains. I must say though it does not look good for Disney!
Heck, I've seen a kid do that in Buffalo, outside of a mall. Couldn't believe it.

Most of the people in the Shanghai area have never been to or know what a theme park is. It is unfortunate to see things like this buts it's the nature of the beast that is working with China. Hong Kong didn't have quite as many problems because that area is westernized from being a British colony at one point.

I hope all the Americans planning a Shanghai trip do some research. There will be a big cultural shock if they don't.
Does the entry way have any CMs? If not that is probably why it was completely trashed. I have to imagine if you had big sections of the MK with no one there to police it or clean it up that it would look very similar after one day of use. The kids going to the bathroom in the bushes probably wouldn't be as bad (although I've seen it at the US parks too) but the trash every where would be terrible. Just think of how many people complain about the parks bathrooms now can you imagine if there were no custodial CMs around?

Last edited:
I seriously wonder how they are going to price tickets for Shanghai.

We are paying $135 for a single day. No more no-expire (which were priced at $75/day for a 10 day at $750ish).

Prices are going up at DW. Cost cutting is happening. Personally, our biggest expense are the tickets, plus food (which we minimize in a dvc unit). Food was mediocre last time we were there and that was ohanas and that little Japanese cafe/restaurant in the poly. BOG dinner was good but small portions. Actually, the sushi at that poly cafe was borderline not good- I wasn't happy.

So my question- are they going to price entry tickets for Shanghai at $50/day? $40? $25???? What about food costs?? Are they going to have a Bog priced at $20pp for dinner?!

Sure, China has volume. But do they truly have the resources to support an MK park?!

Last edited:
Heck, I've seen a kid do that in Buffalo, outside of a mall. Couldn't believe it.

My wife almost literally ran across someone's defecation in a Wal-Mart once... Interestingly, it was in the toilet paper aisle. I guess they just couldn't make it the 30 yards to the store bathroom...

We are paying $135 for a single day. No more no-expire (which were priced at $75/day for a 10 day at $750ish).

Prices are going up at DW. Cost cutting is happening. Personally, our biggest expense are the tickets, plus food (which we minimize in a dvc unit). Food was mediocre last time we were there and that was ohanas and that little Japanese cafe/restaurant in the poly. Big dinner was good but small portions. Actually, the sushi at that poly cafe was borderline not good- I wasn't happy.

So my question- are they going to price entry tickets for Shanghai at $50/day? $40? $25???? What about food costs?? Are they going to have a Bog priced at $20pp for dinner?!

Sure, China has volume. But do they truly have the resources to support an MK park?!

Their upper class could support it if it is somewhere they want to go. Disney is probably going to have to figure out how to best deal with the Chinese market and how to bring in those who can actually spend the money. The rich - poor gap in China actually surpassed the US's about 2 years ago so when you think of the numbers of people they have quite a few millionaires but they also have many more poor people. I have to imagine Disney is going to try and pull those millionaires and whatever upper middle class they can.

Prices are going up at DW. Cost cutting is happening. Personally, our biggest expense are the tickets, plus food (which we minimize in a dvc unit). Food was mediocre last time we were there and that was ohanas and that little Japanese cafe/restaurant in the poly. Big dinner was good but small portions. Actually, the sushi at that poly cafe was borderline not good- I wasn't happy.

Ticket prices have already been out and tickets have sold out for opening day. The tickets are priced for the Shanghai people and what they can afford they are not priced for Americans.

https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/ticket/

So, $59/day.

While we pay ridiculous increases.

I'm really tired of the increases, sometimes twice a year. However, we bought dvc 5 years ago, so we are sort of committed until kids are no longer interested. Hard bc they are still little at 2 and 6.

So, $59/day.

While we pay ridiculous increases.

I'm really tired of the increases, sometimes twice a year. However, we bought dvc 5 years ago, so we are sort of committed until kids are no longer interested. Hard bc they are still little at 2 and 6.
WDW is 45 years old. Shanghai isn't even open yet. You can't start out with $105+ tickets in Shanghai. You have to look at the people they are marketing too. The middle class in Shanghai can't afford to pay our kind of prices right now and Disney really wants those people to come to this park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter