shades of green

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by MOMOFMNM, May 4, 2005.

1. MOMOFMNM

MOMOFMNM DIS Veteran

this is my first post here!! I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on the Shades Of Green Resort at WDW? I am definitely buying attraction tickets here as we have mil id's and could sat here for 594 for 6 nights in Oct but my kids are begging me to stay off site at Nickelodeon Family Suites which does look SUPER cool and fun but would cost about 400 more but thier activities and pool areas and suites look awesome!! I also wanted to let anyone else with gov or military id's to email me for a link to a TON of discounts in the area like cheap car rentals and free visits to Sea World and Busch Gardens!! jennifer@bigbrains.com is my email... any info on the SOG resort would be helpful!!!

:earsgirl: ::MinnieMo :wizard:
    OCTOBER 2005 my daughters first trip to MAGIC!!
    and they say magic isn't real....they've never been to DISNEY!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. GJM

GJM DIS Veteran

We have stayed at SOG a couple of times and we love it. We did stay at the Holiday Inn Family Suites, which is know Nickelodeon Family Suites. We were lucky and paid $73 per night with a Entertainment Card about 2 years ago. My DS loved this hotel and he wants to go back since it is Nickelodeon now. He liked having his own separate area and loved the pool, he would probably love it even more now. We are probably going back in Aug. or Sept. just me and my DS and will stay at SOG I really love this hotel we can walk over to the Poly. and take the monorail and use the hotel transportation which was good.

4. DawnCt1

DawnCt1 <font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he

You mentioned that you have your MIL'S id. Will she be with you at the time should you decide to stay at SoG. You need to be with someone who is eligible to stay at SoG in order to stay there. They need to be guests at the same time you are. Also, you may have difficulty buying tickets without her, a hotel id or your own id. I love SoG. It's convenient, quiet, no tax, I love the rooms and this is coming from someone who is definately a hotel snob and always opted for the overflow rates first.

5. jckdisneybound

jckdisneybound Pride Runs Deep

I think she is saying Military not Mother In Law :)

We are staying there in 3 days I shall post when I return.

6. DawnCt1

DawnCt1 <font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he

OMG you are right! :blush:

7. baileybelle

baileybelle Dis Veteran

Hey jckdisneybound...Where in Southern Maine are you from? We'll be staying at SOG in October. Can't wait to here your report. Have a great time!! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

8. lookingforward

lookingforward DIS Veteran

I absolutely love the SOG and think that it is the best bargain you can find in Orlando. I know kids love themed hotels like the Nick suites BUT you just can't beat the convienence of the SOG. If it were my family I would stay the first or last night at the Nick hotel so they could experience it but then I would transfer to he SOG for all that being onsite offers! (locale, early and late entry, transportation, NO TAX, etc.)

9. baileybelle

baileybelle Dis Veteran

10. Princess Mommy

Princess Mommy Mouseketeer

We are seriously considering this resort for our Dec trip aswell!
    I have heard such great things about this resort & it's newly refurbished rooms and grounds.
    Well, we already have the rooms booked~ but I have this theming issue... :rolleyes1 But our wallet (& DH) just might win out!

11. JiminyC&me

JiminyC&me Earning My Ears

We seem to always stay at the SOG when we go to DW. (But Labor Day I'm putting my foot down and we'll be at the WL) Actually, I love SOG!!! Since the renovations it has a more "resort" feeling about it.
    After checking in we usually go to Evergreens Sports Bar and Grille, grab something to eat and drink and then hit the parks. The Garden Gallery has great food. You can choose to order off the menu or do the buffet. Mangino's wasn't open when we were there last but I'm looking forward to trying it Memorial Day weekend. SOG seems quiet in comparison to the other resorts. Have you checked out their website? http://www.shadesofgreen.org They've changed it, so it's much more informative than before.
    I would also like to try the Nick Hotel but the convenience of parking my car and not have to drive it until I'm ready to leave (which comes entirely too soon for me) gets me every time.
    You will not be disappointed with SOG.

12. MOMOFMNM

MOMOFMNM DIS Veteran

I don't know, I am so confused now!! I have spent days online and done so many numbers....I also have a quote for PO Riverside for about 1800 including 5 day MYW passes...so I am just pondering things. I know no matter where we stay Nick or SOG or PO these are probably great economical yet moderate accomodations so I am not worried about that, I just want to get everything from the experience. I have never stayed onsite so that is kind of tempting but that Nick Hotel looks sooooo awesome and we will have to rent a car anyway to go to Sea World (another thing my kids MUST DO!!) GEEZE I WISH we could take a month even then we wouldn't see it all!! I am leaning towards SOG or Nick and not the PO package they quoted me simply because I think I will only need 3 or 4 day passes if we are doing Sea World which is free with military id!!! Gotta do the freebie!! Beisides, I can get tax free at SOG tickets and room but I LOOOVE the theme of Nick Hotel...

13. weregoingtodw

weregoingtodw <font color=deeppink>Save the cookies for the TF<b

We're leaving Saturday & staying at SoG again. If there is anything specific you'd like to know, pictures of anything, etc., let me know & I'll be happy to take them!

14. MELSMICE

MELSMICE Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be

Shades of Green - no question. Great resort & you get all the Disney amenities, including the Extra Magic Hours. This alone, IMO, is worth staying there.

15. llij

llij <font color=blue>I love my house<br><font color=re

We've stayed at SOG many times and just love it! The grounds are beautiful and the room is very spacious. I also liked being in the Magic Kingdom area and found it to be very convenient. I can't wait to stay there again. :teeth:

16. MrIncreadable

MrIncreadable Earning My Ears<br><font color="blue">I'm not read

The same goes for me as Weregoingtowdw said, We are also going to SoG on 5/6. If there is any specific questions let me know. I would be glad to either ask or find out for you.

As far as any other Gov sites for travel there are:
    Getravel.com
    Sato Travel
    or the MWR you facility has. I actually found better prices on my own going with various discounts and codes. Good luck in your hunt.

BTW, Weregoingtowdw, is there any room advice I should know about SOG. We went in 2003 and stayed at CBR. This will be our first trip to SOG. We have two familys, Mine (5 total) and Sil (4 total). I have called about room assignements but they say that you cannot specify a room area? I guess I should call again to verify.

If your not afraid of kids look for us. I have two boys 8, 6 and one girl 3.
    Just can't wait. :banana: :banana:

17. baileybelle

baileybelle Dis Veteran

Weregoingtodisney... As stated in a previous post, we'll be at SOG in October. Would like to hear your opinions on the SOG restaurant menus, prices and food quality and the resort as a whole. Have a magical trip!!! Come on October!! :earsboy: :earsgirl:

18. weregoingtodw

I think you'll really enjoy it! As for room assignments, we requested them (they're not guaranteed) when we reserved, and I'll call later today to confirm them. That's my last 'to do' - I've already confirmed the airline, car rental & my PSs! :banana:

As for kiddos, not scared at all! We'll have my DD (9), my nephews (6 and 3) and my niece (1).

Room advice - wow... so many variables. Will you be swimming a lot? If so, ask for the older section. Are you renting a car or using Disney transportation? The parking garage is adjacent to the new section. If convenience is important, ask for rooms close to the elevators. If you'd rather quiet, ask for an end room.

I think you'll enjoy yourselves regardless of where your rooms are. It's a gorgeous resort, and you can't beat the price!

19. MrIncreadable

MrIncreadable Earning My Ears<br><font color="blue">I'm not read

Thanks for the Info, I think we will be swimming and yes we did rent a car. It actually came out about 150.00 cheaper than and towncar or bus. Thanks again, Maybe we wil see you there. :wave:

20. weregoingtodw

Will update when I get back... my impressions from last year:

Garden Gallery breakfast buffet was great. I didn't have the evening buffet, but my ILs did and said it was okay for the money but not Disney quality (a lot less $$ though!).

Evergreen's is great sports bar type food. Their chicken sandwich was excellent. Try the onion rings - YUM!

Mangino's didn't open until the day after we left last year. I have no plans to try it this year - just not a huge Italian fan, so can't comment on it.

If you haven't seen them already, allearsnet lists the SoG menu descriptions and prices.

Impression of the resort as a whole? When we were there last year, they were still suffering growing pains from the reopening. I'm confident that they've worked out the kinks & we'll have a great experience this year, based on reviews I've read since then. I could easily see people paying $200+/night for these rooms if they could to be able to stay here. The location can't be beat, and overall, we found it very quiet and serene, which is unbelievable considering its close proximity to the MK.

I think you'll love it!

21. MOMOFMNM

MOMOFMNM DIS Veteran

Well I have made my decision!! We are staying at SOG!! The rooms are sooo much bigger and we have a family of 5 so space is needed...I did have a pang of upsetness about a missing "theme" and no calls from Mickey but I am taking my girls and their dad is in Iraq right now for 18 months and I think them going to SOG will give them a chance to meet other military kids and be in an military type setting that their dad would be proud of and works so hard for them to be able to get priviledges like this...and the price from SOG to POR will pay for days of meals!!! Around 400 I am saving (going end Oct not value season) another factor in deciding...I am so looking forward to this!! My mom and dad took me to WDW several times and I can't wait to see my kids faces!! HOOORAY!!! Thanks to everyone who helped. I also went to the library and read 4 books today on WDW