Sewing Help Needed

Lizzy2

Disney freak-in-training
Does anybody sew?
I want to make a duvet cover for my DD4 and I was wondering what kind of fabric to use. If I use the quilt making fabrics should that be heavy enough or do I need something more sturdy? Any advice would be appreciated!
The ready made's are to ugly and too expensive!
I got the duvet insert for free from my Mom who didn't use it so I'd like to continue this money saving trend :goodvibes

Hi Lizzy,

I bet if you post on the craft board you would get more of a response.

However, I have seen duvets in many fabrics. I would just make sure the one that you choose is durable and washable. A good cotton, corduroy or lightweight denim would work.

You could also look for flat sheets that are on sale and use those as the fabric to make the duvet.

Good luck.

I like to use cottons it for a duvet(look for a tight weave)-many fabric stores (like Joann's have coupons in mailers 40% off) or ask about upcoming sales(Labor Day). Have you considered using sheets(I can usually get a good price on flat sheets on sale)-I would use 330-350 count if possible. You might go with a darker color sheet. Sailcloth would also make a good very durable duvet(but slighty stiff), or even some of the fabrics in an uplostry(sp) section.

Second option is a lighter denim like siouxi31 mentioned , but be sure to wash it first before sewing(that is actually true for all fabric choices)

What I would suggest you do is get a sample of a duvet you like (a pillow case works well for this). Take the sample to your local fabric stores, and ask for help matching the weight.

Percale sheets are going to be your best bet, especially if the bed is larger than a twin. A twin cover should be 66 to 68 inches wide and 86 to 88 inches long, while a double is sized at 81 to 84 inches wide and 86 to 88 inches long. If you use sheets to make the cover, buy the next size up.

Normal fabric-store yard goods are no wider than 60", which is too narrow for making bedding unless you piece it with side panels. If you live in a larger city you may be able to get bedding-width fabric from a specialty fabric dealer, but the stuff is hard to find at retail, and usually VERY expensive.

I also suggest using sheets. You're essentially making a giant pillowcase. I'm not a fantastic sewer (one who sews, not the wastewater disposal system :) ), but I can sew in a straight line. I've made pillowcases and curtains, and a sleeping bag liner. I've actually used sheets quite frequently for my sewing projects. You might even find some cute sheets at yard sales or thrift stores to save even more money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter