Sevierville TN questions

We are making a trip here July 31 for about a week! It will be our first time here and making notes of what everyone has mentioned. We have a cabin in Pigeon Forge and can't wait. This is going to be our summer vacation before kids go back to school to hold them over to Dec. for WDW!

We're leaving next week for Pigeon Forge. Rented a cabin (actually the same one we rented 3yrs ago). Can't wait.

I'm actually planning a trip to Atlanta in August and was planning to stop at the English Mountain Trout Farm in Sevierville. You catch your own fish and they cook them for you. Very highly rated on TripAdvisor so we're looking forward to it.

Just was here 2 months ago, you HAVE to go to Cades cove. It's free and they have bears with babies right now.

I also loved the Dixie Stampede, the Aquarium was very cool as well, even though I live in Chicago and have one of the best in the world 2 blocks away. It was worth a visit.

Also, absolutely loved the old mill restaurant. Best in town.

Just was here 2 months ago, you HAVE to go to Cades cove. It's free and they have bears with babies right now.

I also loved the Dixie Stampede, the Aquarium was very cool as well, even though I live in Chicago and have one of the best in the world 2 blocks away. It was worth a visit.

Also, absolutely loved the old mill restaurant. Best in town.

Do you think the bears will still be around in sight? We'll be there next weekend and plan on going to Cades Cove. Can't wait !!! :yay:

I just did the AAA triptik and looked at the difference. GPS/directions have you go 441 because it shaves about 40 miles off the total trip. But if you go 75 to 40 into Pigeon Forge, it actually has your time as about 7 minutes less. I would assume that it can be even a quicker time as you can book it on the interstate versus on more winding mountain roads.

I am always the type that prefers interstate. I think that you can get from point a to point b quicker with free flowing traffic, easy ability to pass slower travelers and straightish roads. I live in Asheville, NC where winding roads are our thing. I am used to them but boy, when you get behind someone who isnt' it can be brutally slow. And if you are not sure of winding mountain roads then it may slow down your trip. So with all of that said, my choice would be 75 to 40 and then turning off on 411 once in Sevierville--that is unless you are heading to the main strip for lodging etc. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks so much for looking that up for us. I did the trip tik too and I think I'm with you on the faster highway thing.

This is accurate advice -- however, I am going to suggest that you not totally eliminate the possibility of taking 441 through the mountains, one way or the other.

If you would like to "enjoy the journey", taking 441 is a great way to do that. If you just want to arrive at your destination as efficiently as possible, then I75 is the way to go.

441 is a beautiful drive through the North Georgia mountains and through a number of small towns. There are many little roadside stands where you can buy honey, jams, jellies, crafts. Depending on the ages and gender of your children --- Cleveland, GA is about 15 miles off of your route. It is the home of Babyland General Hospital and the Cabbage Patch Kids --- little girls particularly love going here. Also, you would be driving through Cherokee, NC, which is a hokey, touristy town -- with a lot of kid appeal.

If you decide not to take this route this time, I do recommend, since you live in Atlanta, that you take a day or weekend trip up that way sometime in the summer or the fall. You can go through Cleveland and on up to Helen, GA, which is a fun place for the family to spend a day or two. From Atlanta, you can be there in less than 2 hours.

We did go over 441 last spring and it was beautiful. We were traveling early in the day so there was not too much traffic, I'm just worried about traveling on the afternoon before July 4th and the traffic on the mtn and strip. As for Cleveland GA, I've been trying to get my family to go, I want to go to the cabbage patch hospital, but can't seem to interest my family...

This s funny...we are staying here over the 4th!! We are on the Wyndham side!

Well, I think the last time I went to pigeon forge area, my family was the only Asian family I saw our entire trip. So if you see an Asian family on the lazy river, it will probably be us. We are staying at the River Lodge bldg.

-Virginia

Thanks so much for looking that up for us. I did the trip tik too and I think I'm with you on the faster highway thing.

We did go over 441 last spring and it was beautiful. We were traveling early in the day so there was not too much traffic, I'm just worried about traveling on the afternoon before July 4th and the traffic on the mtn and strip. As for Cleveland GA, I've been trying to get my family to go, I want to go to the cabbage patch hospital, but can't seem to interest my family...

Well, I think the last time I went to pigeon forge area, my family was the only Asian family I saw our entire trip. So if you see an Asian family on the lazy river, it will probably be us. We are staying at the River Lodge bldg.

-Virginia

We're leaving here (CT) either July 3rd or 4th. And will be in Pigeon Forge on the 5th. Will we hit a LOT of traffic or will we be okay. So we'll be there from the 5th-10th. I'm assuming it's a busy time of year? I'm also wondering what type of wildlife we'd be able to see in Cades Cove? And would you recommend things to see or avoid during the weekend? We're not doing Dollywood or the water park (did that last time) We're mostly looking to do the kitchy side road attractions, driving around checking out the mountains, Ripley's stuff (mini golf, aquarium, etc) Wonderworks.....

Wow, a lot of us going this summer! DH, DD10 and myself are headed down on July 6 for 4 nights. We are staying in Cosby which looks to be 20-30 away from all the action which is fine with us. DH is a fly fisherman and wanted to be close to a trout stream. Looking forward to spending some quality time together and DD is really hoping to see some bears!

We're leaving here (CT) either July 3rd or 4th. And will be in Pigeon Forge on the 5th. Will we hit a LOT of traffic or will we be okay. So we'll be there from the 5th-10th. I'm assuming it's a busy time of year? I'm also wondering what type of wildlife we'd be able to see in Cades Cove? And would you recommend things to see or avoid during the weekend? We're not doing Dollywood or the water park (did that last time) We're mostly looking to do the kitchy side road attractions, driving around checking out the mountains, Ripley's stuff (mini golf, aquarium, etc) Wonderworks.....

Loved the kitschy ripley's stuff, parrot sanctuary/mountain, "the track" with a multi level go cart track, ole gem mine (cheesy panning for rocks, but my DD loved it). We're going to try magiquest, hopefully it'll be like sorcerer's of the MK or the pirate game.

Just a heads up US441 between Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg has been closed for a few months due to a rockslide and part of the road washing away. It may be re-opened by now but may want to check is going that route.

The road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg has been open back up for a while now.

The road between Cherokee and Gatlinburg has been open back up for a while now.

Good to know :) We are headed to a cabin in Fontana Lake this weekend. We'll be driving from 75 through Gatlinburg and Cherokee to get there. Google advises skirting around the west side of the park but it looks like a slower, very winding drive.

Very excited for some mountain seclusion. Debating adding 1.5 days at Dollywood as we leave.

My in-laws live around there so we never eat out when we are there. Might have to try some the resturants you guys keep talking about.

Do you think the bears will still be around in sight? We'll be there next weekend and plan on going to Cades Cove. Can't wait !!! :yay:
We spent a week last month at a rental cabin bordering the park in Wears Valley and had a great time.

As for bears, we did the Cades Cove loop twice and had a grand total of one "near miss" bear sighting. The first trip was in the afternoon and by then the car traffic was pretty bad. Guessing that the wildlife worked a lot like Yellowstone (you see more animals in the mornings), we went back another day mid-morning. That time we came upon a small "bear jam" (traffic jam due to people stopping their cars to get out and look at bears). However, the bear had just moved deeper into the woods out of view... and we opted to not do like one of the idiotic families who decided to go "track" the bear into the woods!

It appears that even in the mornings, traffic and crowds build quickly in the busy times of the year. I found it funny as we walked back to our car after the "near miss" a party of three Harley-Davidson's came to a stop and asked us "Is there some wildlife people are looking at???" All the while, the engines are belching their trademark loud bass "BOO-GAH, BOO-GAH, BOO-GAH..." sounds. I almost said "Well, if there was any wildlife around... I'm sure they're gone now!" But instead, I just said "Not anymore."

The one recommendation I'd make, and one that finally worked in the bear department for us, is to use the "road less traveled" approach. Guessing that we might see more critters if we ditched the Harley's and other traffic we took a side exit out of Cades. The north side-road out of the area is Rich Mountain Road and it runs out to Townsend. It's gravel most of the way, but is well maintained with very few pot holes and no "washboards". It also runs one-way out of the park. It worked. Halfway out, we saw a bear (I thought it was a juvenile at first) pop out of the grass ahead of us and we stopped. With no other cars in sight, we parked the car in the middle of the road. Then two cubs popped out two, and it was clear that the "young" bear was actually the mother. We stayed there for about 5 minutes as the bear and cubs walked around the car and checked us out. We stayed in the car with the windows rolled up too. Eventually, another car approached from behind and the bears opted to go check them out too. So we fired up the car and move on.

We really liked GSMNP. I and my son got up at 4 AM to drive up and watch the sun rise at Newfound Gap (if you want to see the "ball of fire" rise directly, you'll need to go a little further down the road into NC), went horseback riding at Cades Cove, hiked to Laurel Falls, walked up to Clingman's, and took lots of photos along Little River Road. However, I found Pigeon Forge (in general) and Gatlinburg (in particular) to be big "turn-offs". Congestion, traffic jams, and the whole cheap "tourist trap" feel to the place isn't my idea of a fun time. However, I did like eating at the Old Mill Inn and would highly recommend it. Reasonably priced great food... and lots of it!

Since there seem to be a couple of locals here...can anyone tell me how (and if we should try) to avoid the parkway going from Sevierville to the Roaring Fork Auto Trail? And a suggested route to Cade's Cove? I've read that google maps can be incorrect in the area.Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter