Several questions; thought I knew, but now confused

southgal

Mouseketeer
I thought I actually understood all of this, but apparently "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" cause now I am really confused. Could/would somebody help me?

I was thinking we'd just do the SSR F&F deal, get the 150 pts (I'm assuming there are closing costs we pay) and then enjoy studio stays. It's just me, dh and a teen. I did not care for the Contemporary and frankly liked POFQ best of all (have done All-Stars, Pop, POFQ several times, and Contemporary). BUT, I don't like ac window units, so that is the only real draw for me to deluxe. I prefer a condo feel, like at the beach. I'm wondering, tho, if the studio just feels like a studio at a hotel, rather than a home away from home. Am I just not getting that? Please comment on Studio...

Our times of travel can usually coincide with off-seasons cause we homeschool. And we would probably like staying in any of the DVC resorts, so does it make better sense to just purchase resale and get several homes, so to speak? We generally visit for 4 or 5 nights at a time, and while this might make us visit more often, twice a year to WDW is generally the max, once is probably sufficient. Lots of other places to go, y'know, like Washington DC and New York, etc. Is there prevailing wisdom on buying several 50 pters versus 150 in one contract?

Lastly, I thought I saw something about getting an add'l 200 pts if go thru Disney - what in the world is this all about?!

Thank you very much for help.

I just got off the phone with a Disney Person and was told if you get a certain use year month you get the points from 2006 & 2007. So for example I am wanting 150 points, If I go with a Sept, Oct etc use year I will get the 150 points from 2006 and then wont get my 150 points for 2007 until my use year comes up. Sounds like a good deal! We are just waiting to draw up the paper work.

I've never stayed in a studio, but we have 150 points and if you look at the points chart, you will see that you have enough points for a 1 bedroom at least once a year. We're going two times this year and one of those times will be at Christmas, and we only have to borrow a few points. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision.:flower3:

I'd go with the 150 points and aim for either SSR or OKW so your points will stretch farther. Going off season for Sun. to Friday in a 1 bedroom at OKW is only 80 points. You can even up that original total from 150 to 160 and be assured of 2 5 night trips at OKW during Adventure season.

Remeber, you CAN buy OKW points directly from Disney too, and that would give you the advantage of buying exactly the number you would be most comfortable with. If 2 trips of 5 nights works for you and you can do it during the week rather than on weekends, that 160 points would be perfect, and you could experience the REAL home away from home of a 1 bedroom villa.

You asked for a comment about studios.

Studios are realy a basic hotel room with a mini fridge and microwave thrown in.

Studios are not even DVC to me. The beauty of DVC and really the only reason I bought in is for that extra space of the 1 bedroom and larger. I wouldn't even book one for just my wife and I. You get used to the 1 bedroom and larger units and you can't go back.

If all I wanted was a satudio I'd stay at a value or a mod.

Good luck.

We love the studio's. Got 19 nights in studio's last year with are 200 BWV points and had points left.

We are a family of three - mom, dad and one 13 yr old son. We seldom stay in studios because we just like the space a one bedroom gets us. Like dumbo71 said, studios are just a like a basic hotel room plus a microwave and larger refrigerator.

I hate to have to schedule my laundry to use the common laundry room that the studios have to use. I like to stick a small load in when we leave for the parks, move it to the dryer when we get back and put it away before we go to bed. We always go home with clean clothes.

I like the comfort of the king sized bed for me and my husband. Our son takes the sleeper sofa.

We don't use the kitchen much, maybe a little breakfast food or popcorn or ice cream, etc. But the full sized refrigerator is great for soda, ice cream, whatever else we have to keep cool.

southgal said:
Lastly, I thought I saw something about getting an add'l 200 pts if go thru Disney - what in the world is this all about?!

Sometimes Disney will give you an extra years' worth of points to use if you buy through them. So that means for your first stay, you have double the number of points to use (or you can bank the current year's points and only use the prior year's points).

I thought I actually understood all of this, but apparently "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" cause now I am really confused. Could/would somebody help me?

I was thinking we'd just do the SSR F&F deal, get the 150 pts (I'm assuming there are closing costs we pay) and then enjoy studio stays. It's just me, dh and a teen. I did not care for the Contemporary and frankly liked POFQ best of all (have done All-Stars, Pop, POFQ several times, and Contemporary). BUT, I don't like ac window units, so that is the only real draw for me to deluxe. I prefer a condo feel, like at the beach. I'm wondering, tho, if the studio just feels like a studio at a hotel, rather than a home away from home. Am I just not getting that? Please comment on Studio...

Our times of travel can usually coincide with off-seasons cause we homeschool. And we would probably like staying in any of the DVC resorts, so does it make better sense to just purchase resale and get several homes, so to speak? We generally visit for 4 or 5 nights at a time, and while this might make us visit more often, twice a year to WDW is generally the max, once is probably sufficient. Lots of other places to go, y'know, like Washington DC and New York, etc. Is there prevailing wisdom on buying several 50 pters versus 150 in one contract?

Thank you very much for help.

I like the studios - honestly when we stayed at HHI the studio and it was part of a 2BR lock off and it was HUGE! A studio is a bit diferent than a hotel room in that the second bed (except at OKW) is a couch so during the day it feels more roomy.

We usually do studios - next week we are doing a 2BR with my parents - we don't cook so the kitchen while nice to have is not a huge deal - what we are excited about is the washer and dryer!

The DVC difference is that you just seem to relax more - I prefer SSR so far but by the end of the year will have tried all but OKW and hope to hit it soon too. Each one has its pro's and con's

Good luck with your decision!

This past summer me and my 11 year old stayed in a BWV studio and it is a hugh improvement over a regular hotel room.

I know lots of people here think otherwise , but there are LOADS of little things that are different with the studio and reg room that add up to a better experience.

I like the bathroom area divided off from the rest of the room. The kitchenette for beverages and snacks ( and leftovers )

Sitting on a couch watching tv and then climbing into bed . I like studios way more than I thought I would.

You may be a 1 bedroom or more type person , but since you asked about studios just telling my thoughts on them!

Oh and for the record I prefer 1 bedrooms but I love studio's way more than a hotel room!

When we purchased I expected to mostly use studios and extend my Marriott vacation club weeks by 5 days. Now we're only booking 1 bedrooms.

My philosophy for use is this:

- For a quick "fly down" visit of 1-4 days, I'd consider a studio. There's not much need to wash clothes more than every few days.
- For an extended visit, I'd get a one bedroom. It seems to harsh to step down from a large 2 bedroom into a studio.
- For bringing a 3rd person over the age of 12, I'd get a one bedroom. It's one thing having kids who would crawl into bed with you anyway sack out on the sofabed, but a teenager and older gets cramped. Just imagine all the fights over the TV. (A studio means 1 TV and shared bedroom/sitting room, while a one bedroom gives you 2 TVs and a separate sitting area.

With 150 pts, you could squeeze two trips out per year in both accommodations. A 5 day 1-bed stay and another shorter 3-4 day studio stay another. Do only one stay one year, bank the remaining points and go a bit longer the next. It's the 6-7 day stays that make more points a necessity. Or the desire to ever bring another family down with you.

Oh keep in mind, even though you homeschool it costs the same number of points to stay in the Spring (sans May and early June) as it does Summer.

Wow! You guys are sooo great -- Disney should give y'all some perks!

Another question, please. Re: banking of points. If use all but 10 points of 1st year, then bank that. Then next year, travel same so 10 points of that year's allotment but had the 10 from prior year, so carryover 20?! then 30?! etc.?! Am I seeing that right? I would guess you can't technically carry-over 2006 into 2008, but if "used 2006" in first stay of 2008, then really just carrying over from current year's allotment. Does this make sense? Am I getting it, or just more confused?

And one more thing! What is the cancellation policy? Dh frequently would not know if days off are approved until a week prior, if not taking full-week vacation. Would we lose points, or just back in the pot?

Oh thanks so much! I'll surely be calling Disney today, but I'd much rather really understand before I talk to a salesperson.

The patio or balcony makes a studio an upgrade from even a deluxe hotel room. Plus DVC resorts themselves are so much nicer than a value or mod. There are washers and dryers available free of charge for those who stay in a studio and wish to do laundry. We have enjoyed many studio stays.

Now, if you think you would be cancelling 30 days or fewer out, I would rethink DVC. When you do that the points become restricted. You can only book another stay with those points 60 days out or less, AND the points must stay in the Use Year that they were going to be used. You cannot bank them into the next year.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I will respond within your original quote.
Wow! You guys are sooo great -- Disney should give y'all some perks!

Another question, please. Re: banking of points. If use all but 10 points of 1st year, then bank that. Then next year, travel same so 10 points of that year's allotment but had the 10 from prior year, so carryover 20?! then 30?! etc.?! Am I seeing that right? I would guess you can't technically carry-over 2006 into 2008, but if "used 2006" in first stay of 2008, then really just carrying over from current year's allotment. Does this make sense? Am I getting it, or just more confused? You have it right. That works as long as you always use at least as many points the next year as you banked from the previous year.

And one more thing! What is the cancellation policy? Dh frequently would not know if days off are approved until a week prior, if not taking full-week vacation. Would we lose points, or just back in the pot?You would want to have a good idea when you make the ressie, and if you had to cancel, you would hope to cancel more than 31 days before the trip. If you cancel less than 31 days before the trip, your points go into a holding account, and then they can only be booked within 60 days of use.

Oh thanks so much! I'll surely be calling Disney today, but I'd much rather really understand before I talk to a salesperson.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter