Seriously DME?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone notice - the OP hasn't been back? Don't you hate when that happens? :umbrella:

lylone - if you opt for DME again and have a similar issue on the return, have somebody get you a resort manager. WDW should pay for your cab fare (not as in, "Well, they should...", but that they have in the past.

In the past few years we haven't had good luck with DME. We used the bag service a few times and got our luggage late. One time it was about 6 hours late. So, we started getting our own bags or doing carryons. Once we went to the DME area after arriving at MCO and it was backed up like crazy. We kept walking and grabbed a taxi. The last trip in November we had no problems when we got to MCO, but then when it was time to catch the bus at the hotel for the ride back.. it was caos! We were there waiting 30 minutes before our scheduled time of 8AM.. and no bus for an hour. Then a bus came and we were told we missed "our" bus and we would have to wait for the next one (I guess it was too full for 2 people). By that time we had about two hours to our flight...so we walked to the taxi area and grabbed a taxi. We were able to then to grab breakfast in the airport before our 11a flight. And we were two adults... imagine if we had small kids!
Moral to the story is.. always have extra cash for a taxi!

I've had a couple of bad experiences with the ride back to the airport too. Now, I pay for a towncar. For me the peace of mind it gives me is well worth the additional cost.

I We were there waiting for our Magical Express bus back to the airport 30 minutes before our scheduled time of 8AM.. and no bus for an hour. Then a bus came and we were told we missed "our" bus and we would have to wait for the next one (I guess it was too full for 2 people). By that time we had about two hours to our flight...so we walked to the taxi area and grabbed a taxi. (snip)
Moral to the story is.. always have extra cash for a taxi!
From this description, DME is at fault and should have reimbursed the taxi ride upon receipt of your letter sent from home. At T+15 (here, 8:15) you should have sought help, although a single person would have to be careful because the bus could arrive while you are inside seeking help. Not sure what phone numbe would have been appropriate to call from the DME bus platform although the "official main" DME number is (toll free) 866-599-0951.

Going to Disney, reimbursement is not appropriate for missed restaurant reservations (ADRs) etc. for being late on account of heavy crowds at the airport or heavy traffic. You need to make allowance for delayed flights. In the case of the lines backed up to the elevators there could have been a major accident holding up the buses en-route. Also there is a limit to how often DME buses can come to the welcoming area because they can't queue up on the roadway just before.

Last edited:
Anyone notice - the OP hasn't been back? Don't you hate when that happens? :umbrella:
She's a moderator with almost 50,000 posts, no doubt she will be back. Hopefully she is enjoying some time off from her moderating and enjoying the World.

Sorry to hear about this DME experience, what a way to start a trip :(! Hope the last few days have been magical!

She's a moderator with almost 50,000 posts, no doubt she will be back. Hopefully she is enjoying some time off from her moderating and enjoying the World.

Sorry to hear about this DME experience, what a way to start a trip :(! Hope the last few days have been magical!

You would think by 37,000+ posts one would know that ::yes:::headache::sad2:

From this description, DME is at fault and should have reimbursed the taxi ride upon receipt of your letter sent from home. At T+15 (here, 8:15) you should have sought help, although a single person would have to be careful because the bus could arrive while you are inside seeking help. Not sure what phone numbe would have been appropriate to call from the DME bus platform although the "official main" DME number is (toll free) 866-599-0951.

Going to Disney, reimbursement is not appropriate for missed restaurant reservations (ADRs) etc. for being late on account of heavy crowds at the airport or heavy traffic. You need to make allowance for delayed flights. In the case of the lines backed up to the elevators there could have been a major accident holding up the buses en-route. Also there is a limit to how often DME buses can come to the welcoming area because they can't queue up on the roadway just before.

Sought help? from who? the person who told us we missed our bus and had to wait? We weren't the only ones involved in the ciaos and it wasn't worth getting involved in the argument that had already started.

DME is a free service... you get what you pay for some times.

Sought help from Bell Services or a Front Desk CM.

That doesn't happen often, but WDW does have procedures. DME is now in its eleventh year.

Not excusing DME at all - but shouldn't your (formerly one-off) experience with the carry on full of shoes serve as an ongoing reminder to everyone who knows you that three hours doesn't always mean three hours?
Oh, you just shush now!!!!!

Obviously DME didn't know who they were dealing with Diane. ;)

Seriously, keep telling folks about the need to have one day's worth of clothes, etc in your carryon anytime you travel anywhere. The surprising thing in this case (at least to me) was that it was DME rather than the airline that caused the delay.
Yeah, no kidding!!!! I was not a happy camper.

DME was the most unmagical part of our vacation last Sept. Our plane arrived on time 11:00 on a Saturday. We had made arrangments and jumped through all the hoops I had even requested more luggage tags. ( As a birthday present to me. We flew 1st class and had 3 bags free. Which we needed with costumes for MNSSHP.) We even got dressed up like I did in the 60's and 70's when flying. Back to the not magical. The line was backed up past the elevators. We couldn't even see the lady checking in for almost an hour. Then we waited over 2 1/2 hours after we checked in at their little podium to get a bus. Excuse me why did we have to include the exact flight number and arrival time if they obviously don't schedule more buses. I heard the company which sub contracted the DME was canned and another company won the bid. HURAH
Fingers crossed the new bag company can get things fixed!!! Mears is still driving the buses.
There are times when the line backs up. We got there at the same time a huge number of Pop Warner families did one Saturday morning. Oh dear God!!!! But, it only took 25 mins to get to the bus line. So much easier now with MBs.

lylone - if you opt for DME again and have a similar issue on the return, have somebody get you a resort manager. WDW should pay for your cab fare (not as in, "Well, they should...", but that they have in the past.
And again, shush. I do have a life you know!!!

Diane's probably too busy enjoying the parks.

Yeah Jeff...nothing says enjoyment quite like 95 degrees in that humidity, while trying to get rid of a cold. Man......I'm back to Dec trips!!!!

You would think by 37,000+ posts one would know that ::yes:::headache::sad2:
She was just busting me...she's just a mean person.......:rolleyes1:moped::flower3:

Sought help? From whom? The person who told us we missed our bus and had to wait? We weren't the only ones involved in the chaos ...

DME is a free service... you get what you pay for some times.
The person who told you dada dada clearly did not have all the correct information let alone as much information as you had. Still, at T+40 (when the bus left without you) you would have to let somebody else inform said person rather than doing the arguing yourself as you correctly shied away from.

I can see that DME has found it better to resolve reasonably isolated problems such as this one on an individual basis rather than modify the booking instructions and/or procedures to better avoid these problems but introduce more complexity for all participants. Unfortunately I suppose it is too late (months have passed?) for you to pursue this case further.

I think another example of covering isolated problems individually wais discontinuing the pracitce of asking all Disney bound DME guests for a baggage item count upon arrival at the welcoming area. The few seconds spent per guest add up. The downside is extremely small, making good on just a couple more of the already rare instances where the guest's taking DME made a dfference in how an airline resolved a baggage claim. Specifically that filing a baggage claim was not done within 4 hours of the guest's landing in Orlando and the airline denied the claim for that reason.

Last edited:
Be aware that if you change your hotel or flights you should always call the number for DME and change these details. And ask them to read it back to you to be sure it changed.

I would find any line back to the elevators intolerable after flying. Why was it taking so long when most people only need scan their magic bands now? But after waiting an hour I would be asking a castmember to confirm a bus time or I would head to the taxi stand and complain clearly how bad that is later with a call to DME and an email to guest services.

Please reread the thread. It's not about taking hours to get people to their respective resorts. It's about one person's luggage going to the wrong resort, and why that happened

I thought you knew better than to take an early summer trip to FL. :rotfl2:

One would have thought I would have remembered!!!! Never said I was a particularly bright woman!!!!

Be aware that if you change your hotel or flights you should always call the number for DME and change these details. And ask them to read it back to you to be sure it changed.

I would find any line back to the elevators intolerable after flying. Why was it taking so long when most people only need scan their magic bands now? But after waiting an hour I would be asking a castmember to confirm a bus time or I would head to the taxi stand and complain clearly how bad that is later with a call to DME and an email to guest services.
First we were told not to make any corrections on the yellow tags! I got this info from several CMs. Then, we were told that if we wanted, we could carefully cross out the old resort name and write in the new one...being careful not to go into the bar code area. That if the resort reservation number does not change, the bar code has everything they need! So, I believed those things I had been told. I was told I did not need to call DME and let them know of any changes...to my resort or to my flights. And I was told this by a DME CM on the phone.
So, when I get to MCO, and they look at what my MB scan has brought up and tell me to go to the Pop line, I question them. They tell me it says Pop. I show them my new paperwork..same number!!! I'm told to just make sure the bus line CMs know I should go to POR. Ok. And the same thing happens there. BUT....after looking for a bit, they found the correct info, saying they weren't sure why it wasn't showing correctly right up front. Asked if we had any bags tagged for Pop. Told her yes, and she went to the counter area to make sure that there wasn't going to be an issue. Came back and told us that we were all set.....the correct resort info was showing, so the bag would get there. However, I believe that they aren't scanning the bags anymore, they are just looking at the resort that is written there! Which makes it a bit hard to track if they aren't scanning them anymore!!! So, yes, cross out the old resort info and carefully write in the new.
It woudl be terrific if we were told when policy changes!!! But that is not the Disney way!!

And those long lines? Just one time....when I arrived at the same time the Pop Warner families did...man, that was a very long line!!! My friend got in line, I sat down against a piller!!! No seats available anywhere. It only took about 20 mins for my friend to get through the line though...that was hugely surprising!!

We were going to try DME for the first time this trip (have always used a town car service). But after reading this thread I am now second guessing that decision. We are arriving on Saturday of Labor Day weekend. DH is not patient and if it takes hours to get to the resort he will not be happy. Wondering if we should just go back to the town car.

How much is a town car service, if you don't mind me asking? How does that work? Is it scheduled ahead of time, I assume? I am a total newb to WDW and I'm starting to ponder on whether or not I want to use ME or not when we eventually visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter