September Lovebug Swarm

JaOdNaM

Cajun Fireman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug

For those of you unfamiliar with what a lovebug is check out the above link. There's even a picture from a WDW busstop back from September of 2006.
Here in the South they have already begun swarming for a little over a week now. Supposedly they swarm from 4-5weeks.

Has anyone been to WDW recently between late August-September and witnesses the swarming lovebugs? I ask because this is my first trip in September (usually go in October or April) and I'm hoping by the time we arrive, 9/20, they have already died out and left.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again!

:firefight Jon

We were there Sept. 14-21 last year and there were quite a few of these. Nothing like in the picture on Wikipedia though.

Been in Sept/Oct quite a few times and there have been some around - but not very many - nowhere near as many as the picture

I think they are told to keep out of the parks and off Disney property :rotfl:

Shezzy

What the heck are these bugs? I've read the article on Wikipedia but it doesn't really give a lot of really practical info... Does anyone know if these bugs bite or sting? We are planning a trip in the 3rd week of October so hopefully we will miss them all together, but just in case :)

Tia!

What the heck are these bugs? I've read the article on Wikipedia but it doesn't really give a lot of really practical info... Does anyone know if these bugs bite or sting? We are planning a trip in the 3rd week of October so hopefully we will miss them all together, but just in case :)

Tia!

Nope. They're harmless. Just weird. They don't really even land on people, you just see them around.

If you are lucky enough to experience them and they end up all over your car, make sure to wash them off as soon as you can. My daughter didn't and the paint on the hood of her car is a MESS.

She had the car professionally buffed and while it helped it's really not good.

We always go in September, for about a week around the 19th. I've seen them around, enough to notice, but not nearly as badly as in those photos.

They remind me of lighting bugs w/ no light and out during the day. They swarm the roasted nuts & other sweet cooking vendors. They don't bite. They are their mostly in September & by mid October I see very few.

Last Sept I didn't notice them in the parks that much, but they were horrible around the pool and around the bus stop at the resort. They are completely harmless, just nasty looking.

I looked over an Aug '12 trip report that showed a pic of a couple lovebugs flying around. I'm hoping that by the time we get there it'll be the end of their swarming. They are harmless, no biting or stinging, just an annoyance really. I'm hoping for clear skies, great temps, and a lovebug free vacation this year! :beach:

I've been there twice in September and they were not that bad. I feel like they were worse around the bus stops and on property than they were in the parks. Like the others have said, they are harmless but annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter