Sending down a package

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by psindone, Mar 29, 2010.

1. psindone

psindone A dream is a wish your heart makes........

I know that this question has been asked before but I guess I did not pay attention. I want to send a small package down to Disney before I get there. I did read somewhere that UPS was better than sending it USPS. Something about UPS going directly to the hotel as opposed to USPS going to a central area before it is redirected to the hotel. Has anyone had a problem, and also how far in advance should I send down my package.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. rileyreese

rileyreese Mouseketeer

I was kinda wondering the same thing but I think I am going to go ahead and send my stuff UPS and we will be arriving on April 10 so I plan on sending it out this afternoon!

4. psindone

psindone A dream is a wish your heart makes........

I think your right. UPS is the best way to go. I will be shipping my box about week before we arrive. I hope it's there waiting. I have never shipped before, but it seems alot of people have.

5. tlhbdm

tlhbdm 1354.40 miles away from the mouse

We are shipping a box down via UPS, most economical and you can track it the entire time

6. Wendy*Darling

Wendy*Darling Mouseketeer

I've done this almost every trip I've even pre-printed a label to send stuff back home once and packed tape to seal up the box. Worked perfectly!

I usually do FedEx Ground just because it is cheaper for me but UPS is the same deal. What I do is check online and calculate shipment time and then figure out when I need to ship it. I ship it for the package to arrive 2 days before I do so they don't have to store it for too long.

One tip - I had a CM offer me this tip the first time we did this and it has worked really well for us. Make your box readily identifiable. Either use a product type box or (what I do) let your kids decorate the box. Mine do Disney stickers and draw pictures on it. That way when you are at the desk, you can say "I need to pick up a package. It's the Samsung DVD player box" or "it's the box with all the stickers and a child's drawing of Mickey on the sides." That way they can find it really quickly. We usually get a few comments on our box too, which the kids love!

7. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy <font color=green><br><br><font color=blue>Me and Moderator

A few notes : Bottles of water and cans of soda will probably cost you more to ship than they cost you originally. I recommend for those heavier items, take a hike over to the HESS Station across from DTD (it's a short walk across the street) and grab the heavy items you need there and take the bus from DTD back to your resort. You'll probably save some cash this way.

DO NOT SEND BY USPS ... Won't work, well truthfully, it will work but very very very very slowly.. Must be UPS or FEDEX.

And 32830 is for Lake Buena Vista, FL - take Orlando out of the address.

There ya go!

8. serene56

serene56 DIS Veteran

Curious question:

Is this more economical compared to ordering groceries delivered?

what are the benefits to mailing vs ordering?

9. R and C's momma

R and C's momma Addicted to the DIS

Two things: if you cut coupons and use them on the things you will ship, there is a savings there. Also, shipping more than just non-perishables ... many people send additional items to save on luggage space.

10. Wendy*Darling

I don't usually ship to cut cost but more to cut down on stuff I have to pack! I toss in some granola bars and stuff if there is room. I have a "Disney box" in my closet that has things like mister fans, autograph books, ponchos, lanyards with the trading pins etc. I pull out what we need and fill in with stuff like sunscreen, baby wipes, diapers (thankfully this trip I only have to bring pullups for night time and by next trip HOPEFULLY nothing!), sandwich bags with laundry detergent and stuff like that.

I ship it to arrive 2 days before us...enough ahead that I can verify that it gets there and still pack stuff if need be but not so far ahead that they have to store it at the resort for a long time.

11. Best Aunt

Best Aunt "That's the best-est present ever!"

I wrote my last name on every side of the box, so that they could see it no matter which way it was facing. (I assumed there could have been another box on top of it, so they might not have been able to see the label.) I got that tip here. This person's idea sound like more fun, though.

12. serene56

serene56 DIS Veteran

very interesting. I woulda never thought to ship.

What is the cost about to do your shipping? do you use fed ex or UPS or regular mail>

13. Wendy*Darling

I use FedEx Ground most of the time b/c it is cheaper than UPS for me. Only once has it cost me more than $10. Most of the time it is $7 or $8.

As I said, sometimes I print a return label too. I stick it in the box and throw in a roll of packing tape. Before we go home I check with the front desk to find out if they have a FedEx pickup at the resort. They usually do and just have me leave it at bell services. Once or twice I called FedEx to schedule a pickup. That way the box meets us at home a couple of days later.

It's cheaper than checked bag fees now!