Selling water at garage sale?

mforbach

Mouseketeer
Is it worth it to sell bottled water at your garage sale? We are having one this Saturday and it is going to be hot. Any other ideas for making a little extra money at the sale? Thanks.

Water is a great idea. We made rice krispie treats, and those sold really well. I would recommend keeping them in a cooler if it is a hot day, ours kept melting :sunny:

water, soda, brownies...heck, I've even bought hotdogs at yard sales before. I should add that most of the time, I found these where entire neighborhoods were having yard sales. If it's something that you might eat/drink yourselves if they don't sell, then by all means go for it, you won't be losing anything by it.

We sell sodas and waters for .50 and do really well. DD usually has the drink stand. We tried selling chips, cookies, etc. and they did not do well here.

Ive tried selling water and coke before.. Didnt sell many, but did sell enough to pay for the actual drinks, so we drank what was left over and since it was already paid for, the drinks we had were basically free.. :goodvibes

I read on some garage sale tip website that to encourage "lingering", you should give out free lemonade and cookies.

herc.

My DD had a lemonade stand last weekend and just to encourage more sales I gave her 24 cans of Mt. Dew to sell also (that's what I had in the house) and she made $15 in 3 1/2 hours. She sold out of the pop and an entire pitcher of lemonade. She sold both of them for .50 each.

A woman grilled hotdogs in a big neighborhood sale last year near me and had condiments and buns set up to make your own. Each dog was $1.00 and she sold cokes and little debbie cakes as well. She made over $200 in about 4 hours!!! That's profit after cost too! :teeth:

Both bottled water and lemonade are good ideas. Mom buys treats for the kids to keep them occupied so she can concentrate on the bargains and spend more money. Works for me! Our sale was on a hot day also and we sold alot of drinks. I made just over $700 and we didn't have any baby items or much in the way of furniture to speak of.

Personally, I never buy food or drinks at yard sales -- especially not homemade foods. However, as long as they're drinks you'd drink anyway (in case they don't sell), you have nothing to lose.

If you purchased bottled water, no problem selling it at your yard sale.

You can also have a pitcher with water and ice, and paper cups.

(copied from another post)
Food, and also items for sale in poly bags or transparent wrapping, needs to be shaded from the sun. Otherwise waterlogging from trapped moisture occurs making food soggy or colors bleed on some merchandise items.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

At the garage sale we just had I offered free water and cookies. I just set it on the porch under one of those picnic style basket protector things to keep bugs away.

Many people commented on how nice that was. Not sure if it helped my business, but it was a good conversation starter and we had a chance to meet/catch up with a lot of our neighbors over a cold drink and a warm cookie.

GOOD LUCK!
Mel

I have seen everything sold at yard sales around here. My favorite is Smitties soft Pretzels made that day. YUMMY.

For my neighborhood yard sales (we can only do them 2 times a year) my girls sold soda and fruit snacks and made a nice profit. I didn't want them to be touching any open food (if we would have make snacks) so I opted for the easy prepackaged foods. It worked great and gave them something to do and earn some money for Disney too! I def. will do water next year sales but I didn't even think of it since I don't normally drink bottled.

I am having my HUGE yard sale tomorrow. Last year I did sell bottled water & soda. I may do it again tomorrow if I have time to run out tonight and get more soda & water.

I do buy only soda that we would drink - that way, what doesn't sell, we use eventually.

Kristi

So glad I saw this thread, will be getting some waters and soda for may garage sale tomorrow. It looks like most folks are selling them for $0.50. Is $1 too high. It is a convenience item, not garage sale fodder. I think I will start at $1 and if it's not selling drop the price. Would love input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!