Security of belongings at the Pool

Amommy21

DIS Veteran
Just thinking that the pool at the Beach Club is so big it won't be so easy to watch our belongings. Do they have lockers?

Anyone have any stories or comments about belongings while swimming the resorts?

I just love that Seinfeld where he talks about how we all stuff our keys and wallet way in the bottom of our shoe at the beach... and then even tie it up, as if that's going to keep it safe!

We have never had anything taken at WDW, of course it makes sense to take as little as you need and nothing expensive or important.:thumbsup2

Just becuase it never happened to us, doenst need it cannot happen at all!

AKK

My sister (foolishly) left her iPad unattended at the AKL pool, and it was stolen. :( I'm sure it's not a common occurrence, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. If I had stuff I didn't want stolen and couldn't keep an eye on, I'd put it in a locker or leave it locked up in the room.

We haven't had anything stolen. I always bring my iPhone down to the pool, and DH always brings cash. We just put them in our beach bag under all the towels and coverups. If someone was digging that far deep into our bag I sure hope someone would notice. But I'm sure it does happen from time to time. :sad2:

we had our swim goggles, sunscreen and hats taken at OKW in May. The hats were clearly identifiable as I had made them and when we questioned the individuals who had them on, they said, Oh, we thought these look just like ours. Really folks. Come up with a better line than that if you're going to pilfer stuff at the pool

As I tell people when asked at the hotel here, bad guys take vacations too. Use the lockers where available and always have someone watching your stuff. Never assume the bad guys aren't around.

I use something like the alligator wallet.

It does float around your neck in the pool....but it keeps your room key and some cash safe:cool1:
I, the mom, uses it - I do not go down slides or swim under water or spash around. DH can have the fun with DD & DS.

At our pool chair - I bring a canvas bag to place or sunglasses and cover ups.
No one seems to touch it. ;) My guess it would look like someone poking into another persons handbag.

I also hang out in the pool near our pool chair. Maybe it is just me. I go into the pool just to get wet, so I do watch our chairs a bit.

We haven't had anything stolen. I always bring my iPhone down to the pool, and DH always brings cash. We just put them in our beach bag under all the towels and coverups. If someone was digging that far deep into our bag I sure hope someone would notice. But I'm sure it does happen from time to time. :sad2:

They don't dig around for it there. They just pick up the bag and look through it where noone sees them.

There was just an email read recently on the DisUnplugged podcast from someone who had their bag stolen at one of the waterparks. Several other people were hit that day too.

If we think we will all be in the pool, what we generally do is take just one room key down to the pool, and its usually one of our kids keys that doesn't have charging privilidges.

If we want to eat or get a drink at the pool bar, dh or ds will run up to the room and get dh's wallet.

Now that are kids are older, its unusual for all four of us to be in the pool and away from the chairs at once. But if we do end up all being in, somebody has to get the valuables up to the room.

I also tend to only go in to cool off and I keep an eye on our stuff.

At the water parks only the towels and my paperback are left at the chairs. The rest is put in the locker.

If I was a thief looking to steal wallets, cell phones, iPads, and other such valueables, I'd spend a lot of time at WDW resort pools. Free to get in, people have their guards down and it would be very easy to walk off with all sorts of things. Sad but true.:sad2:

Someone may notice but how would they know it is not the persons bag:confused3

Denise in MI

DON"T bring anything to the pool that you would be devastated to lose.Bad guys look for unattended stuff, do not care that you are on vacation and don't take the time to go thru the bag to look.They just take the bag and dump it in the trash after they go through it.My Best friend learned this the hard way ( camera,money and IPAD stolen from the pool area ).Leave it home,in the safe or LOCK IT UP

Don't leave anything unattended that you care about losing. Even at WDW.

And if a thief knows what they are doing they are not going to stand there going through your bag. They're just going to take the entire bag, walk off with it, go through it, and get rid of whatever they don't want.

Well, we bring 1 room key, beach towels and mugs.

never had anything taken at the resort pool.
but there are numerous stories on here about electronics disappearing.
cell phones, iPods ... etc

When at the water parks we use a Ziploc bag to keep the room keys in.

You can bury them in the sand or in the swimsuit pocket.

$25

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/vacation-vault-p-832.html

vacation_vault_5.jpg

chair_200_268.jpg

jade1 = thank you !

I like the green color - so since we do not travel till next year, I will wait till more are in stock - so nice of you to post the website. :goodvibes

jade1 = thank you !

I like the green color - so since we do not travel till next year, I will wait till more are in stock - so nice of you to post the website. :goodvibes

Your welcome-have not used one yet either, but will be getting one for our next visit. We now have 5 iphones so too risky.

There was a report on the news just yesterday about someone doing this at hotels in Daytona Beach. They showed security footage of the guy, wearing swim shorts, a tee shirt, and a ball cap, wandering around the pool area, and grabbing a bag and taking off. If someone is casing the pool area, they would keep an eye out for people using electronics and then hit when the person puts them in the bag to head into the pool. They haven't caught this guy yet. There have also been reports of problems on some of the southern Florida beaches. People bury their stuff under their towels and then go in the water, and when they come back, only the towel is left. You just can't trust people if you can't watch them. Don't take anything you can't afford to lose!

Personally, I wouldn't take any electronics to a pool area. I'd be concerned about water or sand damage. I'll take a beach towel, sunscreen, and a good old fashioned paperback book and some cheap sunglasses - and a room key w/o charge priviledges - that's pretty much it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter