Second thoughts about POR, thinking of switching to WL!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Alexsandra, Oct 7, 2012.

1. ExpatDisneyLover

ExpatDisneyLover DIS Veteran

I think I would do WL myself! :) Wilderness Lodge is an amazing resort - especially since you have boys. Wilderness Lodge at Christmas time especially just can't be beat!! Very magical!pixiedust:

If that isn't possible I'd keep trying to get an AB room at POR or if the theme at all appeals to your boys - go for AKL.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Alexsandra

Alexsandra Ready for the next adventure

Where did you get your prices? I paid around $2700 for POR royal room river view with free dining incl. and 6 day park tickets for us 4.
    And it is $3700 for WL with same free dining promo and 6 day park tickets.
    With room only promotion comes out to $3100 for WL courtyard view, including 6 day park tickets but no food. I think free dining is a better promotion!?
    Still cheeper to stay at POR.

4. Alexsandra

It is so gorgeous at Christmas time... So tempting!

5. Alexsandra

I asked several times if I could switch but apparently free dining promo is only for Royal Guest Rooms.

6. elaw

elaw DIS Veteran

As you wish :rotfl2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. pepe of ohio

pepe of ohio DIS Veteran

WL without a doubt.... Last trip we made we stepped down from WL to POFQ.... Daughter and family request....

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with moderates, especially POFQ, but they are not my cup of tea.... free dining means nothing to us, we don't buy it or use it... Not ever going to schedule my meals 180 days out and vacation by a schedule!

This last mod trip cured me, I'll stay where I prefer and pay the price (you never know when it could be your last trip) I enjoy the locations and amenities a deluxe offers, especially the WL... Being able to take a boat to the MK is a selling feature, being a compact resort under one roof a bigger plus..... and general location is huge to us, boat to FW, MK and CR for monorail access is what it's all about... No matter the price increase... WL is worth it and look into points through a point reseller like David's for a studio.... A lot cheaper that regular lodge and lot me safer than picking some stranger to rent off of. Just a thought .

8. GrandCalifornian

GrandCalifornian Can't Wait To Go Back

Another way of reducing the WL cost is a Standard View room. This is what we do, and based on the number of rooms available at the resort, free upgrades frequently occur. Even without an upgrade though, I would take a WL Standard view room over a POR room, and that saves you some more $$ for the comparison...

9. Alexsandra

Oh man, you are evil! ;)

10. MMS1125

MMS1125 "You can design and create, and build the most won

it's not the FD promo for WL. You save more with the room discount offer right now and paying OOP for meals for you and DH. With 2 small children only 1 of which you'll get dining credits for it's not worth Free Dining and paying Rack Rate at the WL. At a value or Mod FD is a better promo but for a deluxe in your case a room discount is likely better. I priced it out on Disney's website using the special offers for the WL room and a regular MYW pkg for the POR room

11. dreamcruiser

dreamcruiser Mouseketeer

ITA!! :stir: is what you're doing!! ;)

12. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

We've stayed at POR twice and visited WL on our last trip and loved it. We considered staying at WL for our next trip in December, but cannot justify the extra cost. We actually like how spread out POR is. Because of it's size, there are multiple bus stops so we never found the bus stop near our room to be too crowded. We also love the size and offerings a the POR food court, and I hated the WL food court - much to small and I can see it getting crowded in the mornings. We never had trouble getting a table at POR and I could see it being a problem at WL. We also love the multiple quiet pools at POR, and did not care for the one main pool and the one pool in the Villas area at WL. We also love the boat to DTD. The commute to DTD is usually one people dread due to the long wait for the bus and the long drive over there, but boats were very frequent and a nice ride. In our eyes, the only benefits we'd be spending the extra money on are the themeing, the balcony and the boat to MK.

13. MinnesotaMouseketeers

MinnesotaMouseketeers DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and while I would never tell someone not to stay at POR because we had a great time there; the WL is still my favorite resort of all the WDW resorts that we have stayed at

That being said, if you don't spend much time in the resort I would save the money and stay at POR.

We however have been to the WDW parks many times; and now make the resort a big part of our stay. We go back during the day from the parks for a break, hit their signature restaurants, explore the resort and grounds inside and out, swim, if available take a horse drawn carriage ride (which is great at POR), sit back and relax.

Which ever you choose I'm sure you'll have a magical vacation. You're in WDW.

14. Alexsandra

Ok, I'll check it out! Thanks.

15. Alexsandra

Still haven't made up my mind but I am grateful for all the help and input. There seems to be a consensus that WL is the best resort to be at especially around Christmas (thanks for the pictures Elaw). POR comes close second considering the price difference. I'll look into the room only discount and take a closer look at my budget. If I can find a way to rack up an extra $1000 in a month, I'll switch. If not I'll stick to POR and have a great vacation anyway.
    One thing is for sure, I feel better about POR after reading all the positive reviews. Maybe can fax in resort and ask for AB river view room instead for same price?

My husband also made a good argument stating that since the kids are so young, they won't appreciate the Deluxe resort. And since we had discussed maybe coming back for our anniversary in a year and a half, he said we would use the money we save and pay ourselves a nice adult-only vacation in a deluxe resort (Poly) and get the deluxe DDP (to try the Signature restaurants). Tempting offer, he is a sneaky bugger!

16. Hillary12.8.07

Hillary12.8.07 DIS Veteran

No it's not, we got free dining on just a water view room, the only thing available other than river view or royal when I booked. All the cheaper rooms go first, so availability was probably just for royal guest rooms. But the free dining was offered for all.

17. Alexsandra

Oh good to know, then I'll keep checking! Thanks

18. twoodson

twoodson Earning My Ears

If you're still considering downgrading/changing your room category, I suggest calling the Disney reservation number and asking to be transferred to Guest Services. It has been my experience that Guest Services is able to make reservation changes that the agents are unable to make (add a day to an existing reservation, category changes, etc). No guarantees, but possibly worth a try.

19. kam1011

kam1011 Mouseketeer

I love love love WL and there's nothing better than WL in December!

20. elaw

elaw DIS Veteran

But you will ... trust me :thumbsup2

21. Alexsandra

Elaw, your killing me! Ok, i'll try to find the cash!