second thoughts aboit shades of green

tcp0421

DIS Veteran
This Friday will be our first time staying at sog. Usually stay at a Disney hotel. Please give me your thoughts. Loved it,hated it. Do you loose the "Disney "?

We stayed there in 2007 and really liked it. The rooms are very big and it was a quick walk to the Poly if we wanted to grab the monorail. The one thing we didn't like (and this may have changed from then) is that they only offered transportation to the different parks once an hour. So, if it was very crowded and there was only one bus, you had to wait for the next one in an hour! So, check into that and see how that works today. But overall, it was a great rice and big rooms and we ate there too and we liked it.

We stayed there last April and didn't care for it much. It can be a less expensive alternative, but we prefer to use the Military discount at the Disney Resorts.

For us, you do lose the Disney feel, other than one pool shaped like Mickey, there is a statue in the lobby, but that is it.

You don't want to get me started on the buses, which run about once per hour per park, if you drive you still pay to park at the parks, and you pay to park at SoG. We walked over to the Poly and used their transportation, but that did add time. I was using an ECV due to an ankle injury and needless to say the experience was horrible.

We didn't eat there, because the reviews were terrible from the SoG thread.

We won't stay there again, unless there are no other options or the room is so inexpensive that it makes a huge diference.

brucefan said:
We stayed there in 2007 and really liked it. The rooms are very big and it was a quick walk to the Poly if we wanted to grab the monorail. The one thing we didn't like (and this may have changed from then) is that they only offered transportation to the different parks once an hour. So, if it was very crowded and there was only one bus, you had to wait for the next one in an hour! So, check into that and see how that works today. But overall, it was a great rice and big rooms and we ate there too and we liked it.

Yes it is on the web site that the buses do run every hour to the Parks. If I'm not mistaking I think o
I saw that there is a bus that comes every twenty minutes and goes to transportation center. Either way we have a car so we will just play it by ear.

PrincessSuzanne said:
We stayed there last April and didn't care for it much. It can be a less expensive alternative, but we prefer to use the Military discount at the Disney Resorts.

For us, you do lose the Disney feel, other than one pool shaped like Mickey, there is a statue in the lobby, but that is it.

You don't want to get me started on the buses, which run about once per hour per park, if you drive you still pay to park at the parks, and you pay to park at SoG. We walked over to the Poly and used their transportation, but that did add time. I was using an ECV due to an ankle injury and needless to say the experience was horrible.

We won't stay there again, unless there are no other options or the room is so inexpensive that it makes a huge diference.

Oh no!!! I didn't want to hear that. We are passholders so we get free parking for the Parks. The food.....we purchased the breakfast and dinner at the SOG. It is a package. I hope the food is better now. We just never stayed there and we thought this time we would just to see how it is. Just thought their meal plan was a lot less expensive then Disney's so we will give it a try. I hope it goes well. Thanks for the advice.

PrincessSuzanne said:

What thread is their for sog?

What thread is their for sog?

Here is a link to the current SoG thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2912833

I haven't seen any indication of any improvement in the food. We didn't eat there because of that, but we have favorite places we prefer to eat at the parks. It was such a pain to get back and forth over to SoG, I didn't want to throw eating in that mix.

Just because SoG isn't for us, doesn't mean you won't have a great time and that youwon't love it, we just didn't. We also aren't in the offsite bunch either. I would rather pay more and stay in a Disney resort.

tcp0421 said:
This Friday will be our first time staying at sog. Usually stay at a Disney hotel. Please give me your thoughts. Loved it,hated it. Do you loose the "Disney "?

Since SOG is for those connected to the military, please thank your connection for their service!

Jimbeaux28 said:
Since SOG is for those connected to the military, please thank your connection for their service!

Actually it's military and Dept of Defense employees.

Jimbeaux28 said:

My husband is in the army. It is his life he absolutely loves it. Thank you for thinking of our military

PrincessSuzanne said:
Here is a link to the current SoG thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2912833

I haven't seen any indication of any improvement in the food. We didn't eat there because of that, but we have favorite places we prefer to eat at the parks. It was such a pain to get back and forth over to SoG, I didn't want to throw eating in that mix.

Just because SoG isn't for us, doesn't mean you won't have a great time and that youwon't love it, we just didn't. We also aren't in the offsite bunch either. I would rather pay more and stay in a Disney resort.

For my family, we got better offers/discounts staying at the resorts. I am very disappointed in what they call Military discounts. You would think it would be a lot cheaper to use SOG, but it's not same goes for the discounts on the tickets..

We are back. OK my opinion on SOG.....very nice hotel. Yes you do loose the Disney feel. A quick walk from the poly?? It seemed to be an eternity .....with sore feet, and necks hurting from lugging around things. Not really the thing I wanted to do after being in the Parks all day. We had problems with the front desk people a few times. When booking the room we paid for the meal plan. Which included breakfast and dinner. We payed for 3 days. And I even made sure while making reservations it was three breakfast and two dinners. They only wanted to give us 1 each. Technically the person on the phone wasn't supposed to give us the meal plan unless we were there for 4 nights. I mentioned a few times that we had already paid $100 something more. After going to front desk three times got that figured out. Oh by the way as far as our room. I don't think we could have been further away from everything. Our room number was 131. Last room on first floor next to the Mickey pool. The food we had the meal vouchers (which we got the buffet ). The food was OK. I have had much better food. Except the Collard greens. They were out of this world. Other then them and the waffels for breakfast nothing was worth mentioning. Being said other then a little bit cheaper than "Disney " hotels I wasn't sold. My body feels like I ran a Marathon.

For my family, we got better offers/discounts staying at the resorts. I am very disappointed in what they call Military discounts. You would think it would be a lot cheaper to use SOG, but it's not same goes for the discounts on the tickets..

It's not, and my husband is an E4. SoG does have specials throughout the year, but they don't always fall within our travel dates. The Disney resorts fit our travel needs much better. I love the 30/35/40% room discounts and the 4 Day AFS tickets work well for us, we don't usually go for more than 3 to 4 days at a time.

I was kind of surprised that at the aafees store things were so expensive. Like the milk and soda different things like that.

We absolutely loved our stay at SOG and plan to stay there on our next trip. The rooms were very spacious, the queen beds were comfy, liked having 2 sinks in the bathroom. The 50s ice cream parlor was adorable and great ice cream at a fraction of the price of disney ice cream treats.

I did not find the bus schedule to be a problem. We quickly learned the schedule and liked that is was on time with military precision everytime, unlike wondering what time the disney buses will show. People were friendly and the kids were polite on the buses , unlike some of our disney bus experiences.

The first bus of morning was busy, but we always made it on, sometimes having to stand.

The food was not great at SOG but not an issue for us since we enjoyed trying the disney restaurants. We walked to the Poly and had breakfast at Kona a few morning, another morning at Ohana, hopped the monorail a few mornings for other breakfast options.

We found the resort to be very peaceful and restful after a hectic day at the parks. Best of all, we met lots of great families who are serving or have served!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!