Second All in One Disneyland TR Thread - Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review 5/30-6/2

Last Installment on the Trip Report

Day 1 – May 30, 2015 – Part 4

8:50pm Paint the Night Parade Part 2​

Back to more pictures from the 8:50pm Paint the Night parade on May 30th, 2015.

The next unit was the Little Mermaid

Ariel, King Triton, Flounder and Sebastian

Jellyfish

Nemo and Marlin

The next unit were from the movie Toy Story. Jessie with dancers.

Slinky Dog along with Woody and Buzz Lightyear.

Woody

Buzz Lightyear

The next unit is the Belle Candlelight.

Belle

Behind Belle float was also Rapunzel and Cinderella

That is it for this post and continue to the next post.

Day 1 – May 30, 2015 – Part 5

8:50pm Paint the Night Parade Part 3​

Back to more pictures from the 8:50pm Paint the Night parade on May 30th, 2015.

The next was the Frozen unit which was not originally part of the original Paint the Night parade from HKDL. With Frozen today, it does make sense to put it in the parade since it is so popular today.

You can’t have a giant ice palace without Anna and Elsa

U can’t forget everyone favorite snowman Olaf

The Mickey & Friends finale unit which has double pinwheel performers.

There was Goofy, Donald and Minnie on top of whirly-balls from SpectroMagic. It was nice to see Disney recycle old units from SpectroMagic and made it part of the Paint the Night parade.

Goofy

Donald

And the grand finale unit is of course Sorcerer Mickey. This is one of my favorite floats of the parade.

When the grand finale float was passing by, we had to get on the street so we can watch the 9:30pm Disneyland Forever fireworks show. The only problem is that DAW ECV was not close to the ramp. So my cousin BF and I lift the ECV off the sidewalk and put it on the street. It was a little heavy to lift an ECV but we were able to get it on the street and got a spot to see the fireworks that night. I was not happy with the spot where we were more on the left hand side than in the middle. But what can you do when you have to move an ECV on the street.

Just have to go with the spot as is but it was nice to see Disneyland Forever that night.

That will be for this post and on the next update will be pictures from Disneyland Forever fireworks that night.

Last edited:
What great pictures of the parade. It looks so lovely and colourful. Are you happy with your pictures? They look fantastic to me.
That was good of you and your cousin's BF to carry the ECV to the middle of Main Street.

What great pictures of the parade. It looks so lovely and colourful. Are you happy with your pictures? They look fantastic to me.
That was good of you and your cousin's BF to carry the ECV to the middle of Main Street.

Thank you PiO. The pictures were decent from this trip. There were some good ones while there were some bad one's as well. I will look forward to trying out the 2.8 later in August. I still have a lot to work on taking better pictures of the parade for future trips. I was not completely satisfy with all of them but using the f/4 lens was nice for that trip.

It was good that my cousin BF was there and helped moved the ECV to the street or we would have not got a spot on the street to watch the 9:30pm Disneyland Forever fireworks.

Those are great parade pics. I am looking forward to seeing it in August!

Thank you @wiscbugs. I can't wait to get to August in a couple of months for the D23 Expo.

Wow Bret! Love your pictures! :yay:

Thank you Denise.

I have also uploaded one of my videos of Paint the Night parade videos from my trip to DL on May 26th to May 28th. Hope you like it. This spot was behind the group that was in front of me. I set up my tripod while I had my DSLR in my hands during the parade.

Love the video of the parade! Love the parade! I don't see anyone in front of your video. Was this the spot you waited 3 hours for?

Your pictures of the hatbox ghost are great and the pictures of the parade came out fantastic! I can't wait to see it for myself in a couple days.

Your pictures of the hatbox ghost are great and the pictures of the parade came out fantastic! I can't wait to see it for myself in a couple days.

Hope that means Fran is feeling better!

I bought a new lens today!! 1.5! Now I'm ready for the dark rides!

We were there on May 28th (8:50pm), but were a few rows back over by the Matterhorn so our viewing was a bit limited. Loving your close-up pics and the video! Thanks for sharing :)

Love the video of the parade! Love the parade! I don't see anyone in front of your video. Was this the spot you waited 3 hours for?

Thank you Denise. There were some people in front of me during the parade where they were sitting on the ground while I was standing up taking pictures while my video camera was on the tripod. The video was from the 2 1/2 hour wait during the May 26th trip. The one that I waited for 4 hours was during the May 30th trip.

Thank you Alison. I took a lot of pictures of the Hatbox Ghost and those were some of my good ones that I took. Hope you will like the new Paint the Night parade along with Disneyland Forever fireworks.

Hope that means Fran is feeling better!

I bought a new lens today!! 1.5! Now I'm ready for the dark rides!

What kind of lens did you buy Denise?

The video is awesome Bret!!!!

Thank you Jenny. I believe i read on your trip report that Gabby will be going to the DLR this week? Hope she has a great time and it won't be to long until you are back at the DLR. It must be good to see Gabby where she will go to school in SoCal and to have an AP.

We were there on May 28th (8:50pm), but were a few rows back over by the Matterhorn so our viewing was a bit limited. Loving your close-up pics and the video! Thanks for sharing :)

Hi @momtohms. Thank you very much. The new nighttime shows at the DLR lived up to it's expectations.

The next updates will be posted shortly tonight.

Day 1 – May 30, 2015 – Part 6

Disneyland Forever Fireworks​

After waiting for 4 hours for a spot on Main Street to watch the 8:50pm Paint the Night parade, it is almost time to watch the 9:30pm Disneyland Forever fireworks. This is one of the three new nighttime shows at the Disneyland Resort during the 60th Diamond Celebration. I am a fan of the fireworks at the Disney parks and looking forward to the newest firework show.

This is the newest firework show at Disneyland since Halloween Screams fireworks back in 2009. So it has been a while since DL did a new firework show since Halloween Screams. The newest addition to the fireworks which hasn’t been attempted was adding video projections on the façade of the buildings on MS, Matterhorn, IASW, and the mist screens at the RoA after Fantasmic!. Video projections on façade have been done at Disneyland in the past which has happen on IASW façade which a show that no longer exhis

I have been looking forward to all three of the new nighttime shows at the DLR during the 60th Diamond Celebration where Paint the Night did not disappoint me one bit. Is it better over the Main Street Electrical Parade. I would say no because the MSEP is a classical nighttime parade and the founder of Paint the Night parade which is up to date technology.

Since we had to move DAW ECV to the street, we were not in a great spot to watch the fireworks which we were on the left hand side on MS. If you are planning on watching the fireworks on MS, get in the middle or you will have to see it from the trees.

I got all my equipment set up that night including taking pictures with my regular lens over the telephoto lens which I was tempted to use during the fireworks but I decided to go with my regular lens for the fireworks.

First here is my video of Disneyland Forever fireworks on May 26, 2015 during my solo trip since the trip on the 30th was at a bad location.

Pictures from 26th.

Here are pictures from my trip on the 30th. As you can tell that the fireworks are coming from the left hand side of the shot.

I did wrote that the buildings on MS interact with the show which was neat and showed great video projections on the façade.
17553236133_882f46e613_b.jpg

17986140460_f26cc2ac51_b.jpg

It also snowed during the Frozen scene of the firework show.
17986154290_a410a36f5e_b.jpg

18170352982_7675f880a8_b.jpg

Lion King scene
17551354594_00c1e8df11_b.jpg

Jungle Book scene
17986257740_497e6ca6e6_b.jpg

As for my review of the new Disneyland Forever fireworks which is a very nice firework show at DL for the 60th Diamond Celebration. Did it blow my mind away like Remember Dreams Come True fireworks. Not really where RDCT was way better in my opinion. There is no question this is a great firework show and the story was great. But there were some scenes that I didn’t like a lot. The one scene that I really like the most was during the “Sea” scene which you see the inflatable coral on the structures of MS for the Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo scenes.

Even though, I spent 2 ½ hours and 4 hours for a stake out spot on MS for Paint the Night, you don’t even need to wait that long to see Disneyland Forever on MS. Here is a good tip for you who don’t want to watch the first Paint the Night parade and watch it at 11:10pm and still get a spot on MS to watch Disneyland Forever fireworks. You have to do is follow the last float of Paint the Night parade and follow until you are at MS where you want to watch the fireworks. Than after DF, you find a spot on the sidewalk on MS and wait about an hour for the 11:10pm second show of Paint the Night parade.

Everyone in my group were amazed by Disneyland Forever fireworks which they did say the same thing where you don’t have to wait in front of SB Castle to see it the best where you can still see it on MS and see the projections.

Someday, I will watch the Disneyland Forever fireworks in front of SB Castle, IASW Plaza, and around the RoA to see the projections. When I go back in August, I plan on watching the fireworks from MS with DAF since she hasn’t seen it yet. She is looking forward to our trip in August during the D23 Expo.

After the fireworks was over, DAW was tired and headed back to our hotel. I was with my cousin and her BF and they will stay when the park closes at midnight. So I stayed with them that night while DAW went back to the hotel. Mostly I would go back to the room after a long stakeout for the nighttime shows but it was nice to hang out with my cousin and her BF that night.

That will be it for this post and continue on to what has happened that night at DL after the nighttime shows.

Last edited:

Day 1 – May 30, 2015 – Part 7

Sleeping Beauty Castle All Decorated with Diamonds at Night
After we have watched the 9:30pm Disneyland Forever fireworks, DAW went back to the hotel while I stayed with my cousin and her BF. I could have went back to the hotel that night and call it since I was tired from that day from the flight to Orange County and spending a few hours in the park. But it was nice to be able to spend it with my cousin and her BF since they were here on Friday the 29th to the 30th which they are driving back to Sacramento on the 31st.

When we were walking up on MS, I wanted to get some pictures of SB Castle at night with the lens that I rented. They had no problem with it as well since they wanted to get some picture of them together in front of the castle. But before we head on over to the castle, one of my cousin friends that was hanging out with her and her BF was still in the park that night and asked us if we wanted to join her that night.

She had one of those readmission FPs since they got stuck on a ride that afternoon and had one extra to use. They told me that they got stuck on BTMRR that afternoon and got one of those pass. So she asked what ride to go on that night and they decided to go on Space Mountain that night.

We head on over to Space Mountain and they used the readmission pass. I decided not to ride since I had my tripod on my backpack. I brought the big one where it was used to carry the blanket and more stuff. So I waited for them and I needed to rest after sitting on the ground for most of the night for the parade.

When they got out of Space Mountain where they only had to wait about 10 minutes through the queue which was fast. So my cousin friend decided it was time for her to leave the park and go back home since she is a local.

We parted ways and the three of us headed on over to SB Castle to get as many pictures of it as well as group pictures.

I used the telezoom lens along with my other lenses from all different sorts of angles of the castle that night.

We also went on over towards the New Fantasyland Faire.

While I was taking pictures while my cousin and her BF are getting pictures from the PhotoPass CM’s, the 11:10pm Paint the Night parade was going on.

I also did some testing of long exposure when the parade was passing by when we were by SB Castle that night. I didn’t go too well but i still have a lot of learning to do especially with long exposure shots.

I got plenty of pictures that night and I was getting tired. They were the same thing and it was time to head on out of the parks and go back to the hotel. Before we did that, I had to get my favorite dessert.

I always have to get a Dole Whip Float from the Tiki Juice Bar at Adventureland during the trip and what better place to finish a night is to have a Dole Whip Float.
18147338996_ee12036239_b.jpg

We were walking on out of DL but before we did that, we stopped at some of the stores in DL that night since my cousin was looking something to buy that night. Since I have the Premium AP and save some money, I helped them out where they were able to purchase some 60th Diamond Celebration merchandise that night.

When we were right by the Emporium, one of the new Enchanted Windows by the Emporium was open on display and it was neat to see it. It was the Peter Pan window and it was exciting and fun to see. I didn’t took any pictures during the day since the glare from the daytime would mess up the picture so what other better way is to get it that night.

After shopping and looking at the new Enchanted Window, we headed on out of the park that night. My cousin and her BF went on over towards DTD since they parked their car in the parking structure while I head on back to BWPPI that night. It was great to see my cousin and her BF at DL that day and spent some time with them which was fun.

We parted ways and I headed on back to BWPPI that night. I got back around midnight which DL closed that night. I was lucky to get back before midnight where I was able to get a lot of great shots that day.

It was fun and exciting that day where we got to the DLR that afternoon and to be able to see the new nighttime shows again in just a few days which is crazy even though I am not a local. But it did felt like I was a local after being there for a few days and going back to Sac and coming back down by flying this time over driving.

Even though we waited for four hours to see Paint the Night parade that night, we had a fun time hanging out with my cousin and her BF that night. It was a long night to wait that long but we did quite a lot. Even though I didn’t go on any rides with them that night, it was fun to hang out with them.

DAW and I were able to go on some rides that afternoon which she was impressed with the Haunted Mansion and the new Hatbox Ghost. She also enjoyed the ride from the Mark Twain which she hasn’t done in a very long time. So it was a blast to do all those things that day and we are looking forward to our next day which we are planning on seeing World of Color – Celebrate.

That is it for this post and stay tune for the next day during the Diamond Celebration.

Last edited:
It's funny, you are like a local! You get there more often than we do! Great pictures. I can't wait that we will get out there on Thursday and hope to see the parade and fireworks.

Love your night time shots and the shots of the castle! Love the details you got with the zoom lens. Did you have 3 lens with you? My new lens is a Canon, 50mm 1.5. I got it hoping it would help with the dark rides. What do you think?

I made a note of your suggestion for getting a spot in the middle of Main St. after the first parade for the fireworks. Thanks for doing so much research for me! :goodvibes

It's funny, you are like a local! You get there more often than we do! Great pictures. I can't wait that we will get out there on Thursday and hope to see the parade and fireworks.

It does feel like that during these last few years. But during these past two trips, it did felt more like I only wanted to be there at night than in the morning/afternoon. It wI was a local, I would mostly just go at night. Hope you have a good time tomorrow and hope you will be able to see the new parade and firework shows.

Love your night time shots and the shots of the castle! Love the details you got with the zoom lens. Did you have 3 lens with you? My new lens is a Canon, 50mm 1.5. I got it hoping it would help with the dark rides. What do you think?

I made a note of your suggestion for getting a spot in the middle of Main St. after the first parade for the fireworks. Thanks for doing so much research for me! :goodvibes

Thank you Denise. It was fun to try out the telephoto lens during this trip and to be able to get up close shots. I brought my Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50, 35mm f/1.8 and the telephoto lens during the trip but I mostly had two or even three lenses with me in my bag and on the body.

I am looking online to see about the lens you got and I couldn't find anything about a Canon 50mm 1.5 or are you talking about the Canon 50mm f/1.4? I don't know much about Canon lenses but I have read that the 50mm f/1.4 are very nice lens to use for dark shots. I know that you will enjoy using the f/1.4 lens. The only problem I have with the 50mm is that it is not that wide for dark ride shots where you will get up close shots. I will look forward of seeing your shots with the 50mm lens if it is the f/1.4.

Wow! Bret! Great pictures!! :yay: Of course your pictures of the parade are fabulous! But, I also appreciate the food pictures! :goodvibes:

I am looking online to see about the lens you got and I couldn't find anything about a Canon 50mm 1.5 or are you talking about the Canon 50mm f/1.4? I don't know much about Canon lenses but I have read that the 50mm f/1.4 are very nice lens to use for dark shots. I know that you will enjoy using the f/1.4 lens. The only problem I have with the 50mm is that it is not that wide for dark ride shots where you will get up close shots. I will look forward of seeing your shots with the 50mm lens if it is the f/1.4.

I was looking at the box that the lens came in last time. Looking at the lens it says Canon Lens EF 50mm 1:1.8. It also says 52mm. On the side it says 50mm and 0.45m/1.5ft. Either way, I'm sure it will be better than what I have for the dark rides.

Last edited:
Great pictures of your last night there.

I had hoped to make it out for the 60th but at this stage, it's not looking likely at all. So, thank you for sharing your shots and videos. That's probably going to be the closest I get to being there.

Wow! Bret! Great pictures!! :yay: Of course your pictures of the parade are fabulous! But, I also appreciate the food pictures! :goodvibes:

I was looking at the box that the lens came in last time. Looking at the lens it says Canon Lens EF 50mm 1:1.8. It also says 52mm. On the side it says 50mm and 0.45m/1.5ft. Either way, I'm sure it will be better than what I have for the dark rides.

Thank you Denise. The pictures turned out okay that night where some of them were satisfying.

My guess that it must be the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Is it this lens? Looking forward to hearing what you think of that lens.
Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8_1266210000000_12142.jpg

Great pictures of your last night there.

I had hoped to make it out for the 60th but at this stage, it's not looking likely at all. So, thank you for sharing your shots and videos. That's probably going to be the closest I get to being there.

It wasn't the last night of this trip which was the first night. The pictures turned out not that bad but there were times where it could be better.

I'm still hoping you will be able to be there during the 60th Diamond Celebration.

The next update will be up shortly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter