Second All in One Disneyland TR Thread - Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review 5/30-6/2

Last Installment on the Trip Report

Day 3 – June 1st, 2015 – Part 4

Aladdin and Tomorrowland​

After we got the Disneyland 60th Stein at the Jolly Holiday Bakery, DAW wanted to do one more thing until she was satisfy with all the stuff she wanted to do at the DLR. The last thing she wanted to do was go and see Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular. She always enjoy watching the Aladdin show at DCA which we haven’t done yet during the trip. She like the Genie part the most of his funny jokes.

So we head on out of DL and on over to DCA to see the 2:20pm show. It was cutting it close since it was around 1:50pm when we left Tomorrowland and on over to DCA. But we were able to make it in time for the 2:20pm show which we were able to get the Orchestra Row. We spent about 10 minutes in the queue and get decent seats for the show which we were on the left hand side of the Hyperion Theater.

I used the telephoto lens for the shots and I was satisfy with the shots where some were not good while some were good.

Also I noticed during the show that I haven’t seen in previous shows is when Aladdin goes down the Cave of Wonder, he would be walking down from the top but he was walking on the ground which was a surprise. They did use the scene where he jumped really high from the guards but that was kind of surprising to see.

DAW enjoyed the Aladdin show and it was nice to hear the Genie’s and his funny jokes. She wasn’t that satisfy during the last time we watched the show back in March but this time it was way better.

After the show was over, we still had some time to do one more thing until we had to go and leave the DLR and back to the hotel to pickup our stuff and catch our flight back home to Sactown.

I wanted to go back to DL and see the sneak peek of the movie “Tomorrowland” at the Magic Eye Theater. I wasn’t able to see the movie until a few days until I got back from Sacramento after those two DLR trips on a 6 days at the DLR out of 7 days.

So we walked all the way back to DL and see the sneak peek of “Tomorrowland”. I thought the movie was okay when I saw it in person and I was wondering what is it all about and this was not a good storytelling movie.

The queue to enter the Magic Eye Theater had all sorts of pictures, designs, from the 1964 World’s Fair along with production pictures from the movie as well.

Watching the sneak peek from the Magic Eye Theater is nice where they have shown all different sorts of sneak peeks of other movies since the theater was converted to Captain EO a few years ago. They had Big Hero 6 which was there last year.

After seeing the sneak peek, we went to the Starcade building which housed the “Tomorrowland” Exhibit which showed drawings, artwork, pictures, props from the movie.

Disney also showed “The 1952 Box” which has contents of art, photos, memos, books, blueprints, and props that was hidden in the labryrinth beneath the Walt Disney Studios.

After being in the Tomorrowland Exhibit, it was time to leave the DLR and head on back to the hotel. But it wasn’t even time yet, DAW started to get hungry when we left Tomorrowland. It was around 4:30pm when we decided it was time to head on back and have something to eat before we are picked up at the hotel.

When we left the DLR, we head on over to Tony Roma’s for dinner. I do enjoy eating at Tony Roma’s on Harbor Blvd when I stay at one of the hotels on Harbor Blvd.

We spent quite a lot of time in the restaurant since we didn’t have to leave immediately back to the hotel. For diner, I had the Filet Medallions & Ribs Combo that night while DAW just had a salad. I thought she would eat more that night but she was fine with what she ate.

After dinner, we head on back to Best Western Park Place Inn to get our luggage and waited for the SuperShuttle to pick us up from BWPPI to John Wayne Airport in Orange County. We could have spent more time that day, but she wants to be there early just in case if something goes wrong when we get to SNA.

We got to SNA around 7:30pm and we just waited until our 9:25pm flight left from Orange County to Sacramento. It took about an hour and 10 minutes to get back home to Sacramento. We got home around 11pm that night which was late. Cousin C picked us up at the airport and he took us home.

This concludes “Back to the Diamonds at the Happiest Place on Earth” trip report on May 30th to June 1st. This was another great trip which we were able to see the new nighttime shows at DL and DCA. I went before to see the new shows after my Vegas business trip in which I was able to see them before the next one. I was lucky to come back in such a short time. DAW had a fun time as well which we were able to see my cousin and her BF during the trip. It was fun for them to join us for that one night where we waited four hours just to see a parade that night.

Now that this one concludes, I was able to go on a few times since this trip which I went in early July since I was there for “Anime Expo” at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Anime Expo (or AX for short) is the largest Anime show in the U.S. It was nice to go back for a few days and to hang out with Alison @franandaj that day which we were able to go on Star Tours and see the 11:10pm Paint the Night parade.

This trip is over and a new one is right around the corner. Yup, I will be back down south in a few more days which I will be going back down with DAF for the D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center. This is the fourth (2009, 2011, 2013) annual D23 Expo which I have attended all four while DAW has attend 3 of the four. I will try to do a live trip report during the Expo which I will spend part of my time in the morning staking out a spot in order to get inside the Expo.

Please stay tune for live updates from the D23 Expo next week (August 14th – 16th).

WoooHooo! Brett! I enjoyed the last trip report, and am Really looking forward tot he D23 Live updates! So much info should be released, and how exciting you will be hearing it first hand!

I will be watching for your updates!
Have a FUN trip!

--Lori

Lots of great shots from this last trip. The shots from Aladdin came out well! That's what I like using the telezoom for....at live shows and parades.

Have a great time at D23. Look forward to seeing and reading all about it!

Loved the telephoto pictures from Aladdin! I love that show!

How much time would you allow for John Wayne airport? My flight will be leaving at 12:30 on a Friday. What time do you think I should get to the airport? You seem to think 2 hours is a bit much. Is an hour and a half better? An hour? I know it's a small airport. I have flown out of it one time. I'm going to try to take the Grayline Disney shuttle for the first time.

The 60th anniversary stein is very nice! I would be tempted to purchase that if we do get to the celebration. Right now we do not have plans to go. I really enjoyed your pictures from Aladdin! It's one of my favorite shows and I miss it when visiting WDW. Looking forward to your expo report. TK

WoooHooo! Brett! I enjoyed the last trip report, and am Really looking forward tot he D23 Live updates! So much info should be released, and how exciting you will be hearing it first hand!

I will be watching for your updates!
Have a FUN trip!

--Lori

Thank you Lori. Glad you enjoyed my latest trip report. I will try my best to do some live updates from the D23 Expo trip. There will be times when we will be sitting in a queue for a seminar or getting in that morning which I should have some time to write up. If not, I can do some live updates on FB.

Lots of great shots from this last trip. The shots from Aladdin came out well! That's what I like using the telezoom for....at live shows and parades.

Have a great time at D23. Look forward to seeing and reading all about it!

The shots came out well for Aladdin that night which was satisfying. Now I need to know what type of telephoto lens to get. I love the f/4 and I am looking forward to trying out the 2.8 during the trip.

Thank you and I'll try my best to post live updates.

Loved the telephoto pictures from Aladdin! I love that show!

How much time would you allow for John Wayne airport? My flight will be leaving at 12:30 on a Friday. What time do you think I should get to the airport? You seem to think 2 hours is a bit much. Is an hour and a half better? An hour? I know it's a small airport. I have flown out of it one time. I'm going to try to take the Grayline Disney shuttle for the first time.

Thank you Denise.

My aunt wants to get to the John Wayne Airport early because the traffic in SoCal can be bad where you can be stuck. She is just playing it safe which I can understand and for anyone if there is a major accident or something on the way. I would at least get to the airport one hour prior to boarding where that is plenty of time. I would get there at least 11am on Friday with the check baggage, security check point and walking to your gate which won't take that long. SNA is a small airport (not like LAX) but it would be safe to do that. The Disneyland Resort Express bus are nice buses to get from hotel to hotel at Anaheim. They will be making some stops on the way to the DLR and other hotels around the area to pick up guests. But it should be no problem. I have rode it before but I would always plan in advance just to be on the safeside.

The 60th anniversary stein is very nice! I would be tempted to purchase that if we do get to the celebration. Right now we do not have plans to go. I really enjoyed your pictures from Aladdin! It's one of my favorite shows and I miss it when visiting WDW. Looking forward to your expo report. TK

The stein is very nice and glad that I got it during the trip. Hope you are able to go down during the 60th Anniversary next year TK. The pictures at ALaddin turned out well. Thank you.

Now I am planning my pre-trip for August 12 – 17, 2015 during the 4th Annual D23 Expo at the Anaheim Convention Center.

Cast: Me Bret & DAF

This will be my eighth trip to the DLR this year (February 22 – 23, March 8 – 10, May 20, May 26 – 28, May 30 – June 1, July 1, & July 5 – 6). This will be my DA 2nd trip to DL this year (February 22 – 23).

This trip is all about the D23 Expo. For some of you don’t know what it is here is the website for the D23 Expo. This is the big Disney convention that any Disney fan has ever dreamed of. I have been to the first three D23 Expo’s (2009. 2011, & 2013) First Trip Report DLR & D23 Expo 9/9 – 9/13, 2nd Annual D23 Expo August 18 – 22, 2011, & 3rd Annual D23 Expo August 8 – 12, 2013. The 2009 D23 Expo trip was the very first Expo and it was an amazing one. The 2011 was just as great as well. I do miss the four day event which the 2009 had where the 2011 and the 2013 have 3 days. I have participated at all four Expo’s and this will be my DAF third time to the D23 Expo which she attended with me in 2011 & 2013.

Here are some of my pics from the 1st ever D23 Expo back in 2009.

D23 Expo Sign outside the Anaheim Convention Center
5921054056_d4b85c7a44_b.jpg

D23 Expo Sign outside the Anaheim Convention Center
5920492935_98c4958b63_b.jpg

D23 Expo Dream Store Entrance
5920494371_608a8205de_b.jpg

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Pavilion Entrance
5921066584_4148be0ee4_b.jpg

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Posters of the attractions
5920498615_290a16248b_b.jpg

5920513635_70e89222a6_b.jpg

5921079370_5785e7f3f6_b.jpg

Radio Disney Pavilion
5921068414_6ef4617246_b.jpg

2011 D23 Expo
6057891049_74c9a766ac_b.jpg

The Wonderful World of Disney Parks & Resorts presentation
6061370994_ae561bd129_b.jpg

Stage 28 presentation of Buena Vista Street
6065554816_3c0a7a4d05_b.jpg

Stage 23 presentation of Cars Land
6068846946_8eeee611c7_b.jpg

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Carousel of Projects
6061509080_61f4d71f8a_b.jpg

D23 Arena Queue
6065655116_0da47f3756_b.jpg

The Lion King 3D Screening at the D23 Arena
6065667304_ac58ec1dae_b.jpg

Here are some merchandise that I bought during the D23 Expo in 2011
6111434440_74202cc485_b.jpg

2013 D23 Expo
9475089013_a5656f5921_b.jpg

StagePass made its debut last year
9475091343_8658f4e7f3_b.jpg

60 Years Journey into Imagineering
9484515854_2b7a44dbb1_b.jpg

Got to see the movie “Planes” at the D23 Arena
9477191745_840870b306_b.jpg

Richard Sherman & Alan Menken concert
9484959306_3ddfe95b51_b.jpg

9481733835_05a1b99508_b.jpg

Mickey’s of Glendale
9481705655_d0699d8132_b.jpg

We will be driving down from Sacramento to Anaheim like DAF and I always do on our previous trips together. It is nice to fly, but I do bring a lot of bags and camera equipment so it does make sense to drive down in just 7 hours. It is not worth paying the extra money for extra bags and getting a rental car. We will be driving down in DAF Honda Civic. We will stop at Livingston (close to Merced) that is always on our way to Anaheim to see my grandmother. After we stop at my grandmother house, we will head on over to Anaheim. The plan for us is to leave Wednesday morning and head on over to my grandmother house at 7am. Than we will head on over to make a few stops until we get to our hotel in Anaheim where we will be staying for 6 days.

We will be staying at the BW Stovalls. I have stayed at BW Stovalls in the past and it is a very nice hotel that is just across the street from the DLR and the Anaheim Convention Center. I have chosen this hotel is that it was cheaper and in between the hotel. I wanted to stay at any of the hotels that is just across from the ACC, but the price wasn’t right and I got a free night staying at BW Stovalls. I like staying at the BW Stovalls since the beds are way better than the other hotels that I have stayed.

The only time that we might be in the parks are on Wednesday, Thursday and Monday when we leave that day. I might be able to get on over to the parks that day. But with the D23 Expo the top priority, I might not go on any of those days during the Expo but I was able to go to the parks each night during the D23 Expo. I should have just rested up on those night after the Expo and I might not be able to go in the park except for Thursday and Monday. Over the last three D23 Expo’s, I have met a lot of DISers in person for the first time from Alison @franandaj, @HydroGuy, @ImTooExcitedToSleep, @DLR29, @Mary Jo, @Disney Dreams, @Disneyland 1951, etc. I do plan on meeting some DISers during the trip from at the parks and at the D23 Expo.

Our goal for this trip is the D23 Expo. We plan on going early all of those days during the Expo since I am a D23 Gold Member and the Expo will let the members in one hour before the general public at 9am. The times that the D23 Gold and Silver Members are allowed to enter the Anaheim Convention Center for the D23 Expo will start at 9am so I can use that time to get into the D23 Expo Dream Store queue to go shopping for the merchandise. Later, I plan on going to the Mickey’s of Glendale to shop for the Disney Imagineering store. There will be a lot other seminars and places to go during the D23 Expo. But my priority is the shopping at the Dream Store and MoG for myself and others that I will have to purchase.

I plan to get in line for the D23 Expo Dream Store and get the LE D23 merchandise. I plan on buying a lot of items and I will also be taking pictures of everything at the D23 Expo. Not only the Dream Store but the Mickey’s of Glendale Store which is an outlet of WD Imagineering’s employee-only store. There will be some other events to do during the Expo which I will get to shortly.

Right now, we are still talking on which seminars that we want to see at the D23 Expo. There have been a few that I will want to see from “Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland at Stage 23 on Friday, WD Parks and Resorts at Hall D23 on Saturday and Disney in Concert: A Silly Symphony Celebration at Stage 23 on Sunday. This is what I want to see where DAF will want to see some of the other seminars like Pixar and WD Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films, Hosted by John Lasseter at Hall D23 on Friday. I also wanted to see this seminar but my priority is the Imagineering 60 Years of DL at 5pm which DAF might go to the 3pm seminar at Hall D23. This year it almost seems like they don’t have much about the Parks and Resorts like last year with Cars Land, Buena Vista Street and the New Fantasyland.

The good thing about going to the Stage 23 & 28 seminars is the StagePass. StagePass made its debut last year which is a FastPass for rides at the Disney parks where you will avoid long wait times and to be able to get in the seminar with little wait time. This is a big difference where the first two Expo’s (2009 & 2011) where we spent at least 3 hours just to see one seminar. I remember that was the Cars Land seminar back in 2011 where we waited as long as 3 hours just to see a seminar. But now with the StagePass, we can save time with that.
9479971370_a8eda24f7b_b.jpg

Another pass is going to make its debut at the D23 Expo is the StorePass. As you can tell by the name after I discuss about the StagePass for the seminars, the StorePass is just like a FP and StagePass for the shopping experience where you can get one and wait in the queue shorter than waiting in the standby queue. This will make a big difference for me on shopping on Friday since I plan on going to the Dream Store first thing in the morning and later get a StorePass for the Mickey’s of Glendale that afternoon. The StorePass won’t be available till 12pm to 5pm which is good for me since I can use that time to go shopping at the MoG later in the afternoon. The StorePass is good for both the Dream Store, MoG and the Disney Store. The Dream Store and MoG are my first priority where I might go back to the Disney Store on Saturday.

The screenings on Friday that we are interesting to see are Pixar and WD Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films, Hosted by John Lasseter at Hall D23 3pm to 5pm for DAF which I will be wondering around the D23 Expo taking pictures. The Imagineering 60 Years of Disneyland at Stage 23 5pm to 7pm which we plan on getting a StagePass for. I will attend that event and DAF might do the same thing when she gets out of Hall D23. DAF will go to the 3pm seminar while I will be walking around the D23 Expo until it is time to get in the queue for the 5pm seminar.

On Saturday, we will definitely see the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts seminar at Hall D23 at 3pm to 4:30pm which will talk about the sneak peek on projects around the world such as ongoing work at Disney’s Animal Kingdom with Avatar and the developments of Shanghai Disneyland. The one that DAF might go see is the Worlds, Galaxies, and Universes: Live Action at the Walt Disney Studios at Hall D23 at 10:30am to 12:30pm (depends on if she doesn’t want to go shopping that morning).

For Sunday which is the slowest out of all the three days at the D23 Expo, I was thinking of seeing Disney in Concert: A Silly Symphony Celebration at Stage 23 at 11am to 12:15pm. Another one that might be interesting is the Best of Destination D – with Disney Legend Dave Smith and Imagineer Jason Grandt at Stage 28 at 4:30pm to 5:30pm. Just go around the D23 Expo to look at everything until we are done for the Expo.

As for the days that are not the D23 Expo, we plan on going one day early on Wednesday August 12th so DAF could experience the 60th Diamond Celebration at the DLR. I have been there plenty of times during the Diamond Celebration and this will be DAF first time experiencing it. She will want to see Paint the Night, Disneyland Forever and World of Color – Celebrate which we will do the first two days and maybe go on Peter Pan on one of those days.

I will keep planning for the August trip which will be in less than 2 days.

Please feel free to say something about my upcoming trip during the 4th Annual 2015 D23 Expo.

Thank you

Last edited:
A little live update from the D23 Expo. Just about an hour until the D23 Expo starts and the Gold/Silver members are allows to enter the Anaheim Convention Center. I got in the queue at 5:30 this morning where we weren't planning on going at 10pm on Thursday night. I didn't plan on getting there super early like those other people but there were a lot of people this morning.

The front of the Anaheim Convention Center.
20569374125_c5de1107ee_b.jpg

The queue filled up very quickly around 6:30-7am this morning.
20543144206_05073e478d_b.jpg

I am heading first to the Dream Store to buy the D23 Expo merchandise while DAf is in the queue for the Disney Legends Awards at Hall D23.

I will post more updates during the day goes by.

I was able to go to the Dream Store first thin when I was in the D23 Expo. I was able to et all the stuff from the store that I want when I got the chance to see them online. I only had to wait about 10 minutes to et in the Dream Store and now in the queue for the Mickey's of Glendale. The queue for the MoG is quite long but I will wait until I get in.

20573157685_44a0447ac8_b.jpg

Here are some pics from this morning and at the dream Store.
20564200962_abdf3afc76_b.jpg

20385141648_6c593bd6cd_b.jpg

19950550854_178e96c8ce_b.jpg

19950546634_00e8827646_b.jpg

20564179912_f6d5e183fe_b.jpg

20546890736_2375a2d628_b.jpg

Those Tshirts and coffee mugs are so Cute! Thank You Brett!
I wish I was there to shop!!
Have you run into Hydro, yet?

Have a Blast!!

--Lori

Wow! The lines are incredible! People pay to be in D23 and then wait in line to buy D23 stuff. Disney really has it going on! I love the pins! I have a huge collection and still want more!

Thank you so much for posting so many pictures!! I love the pictures of the merchandise and the old posters!! I wish I could go to the convention but will have to live vicariously through you :goodvibes

Brett, on Mousewait, people have videos of Johnny Depp @ the Legends awards... did you see him?

--Lori

I bet you will be tired tonight! Thanks for updating us!

--Lori

I was and I didn't stay till the end of the day. I missed the 5pm Imagineering 60 Disneyland today where I wasn't able to get in. My feet and back are hurting for all that walking and waiting around. Your welcome and glad that you are following Lori.

Wow! The lines are incredible! People pay to be in D23 and then wait in line to buy D23 stuff. Disney really has it going on! I love the pins! I have a huge collection and still want more!

Thank you so much for posting so many pictures!! I love the pictures of the merchandise and the old posters!! I wish I could go to the convention but will have to live vicariously through you :goodvibes

The morning was quite busy where we got there around 5:30am and there were at least over a few hundred people waiting to get in that morning. Some of them were there at 10pm on Thursday night which we weren't we thinking of doing. That is correct that people pay to the D23 events and have to wait just to see those seminars and shopping. You would have love all the collection from all three stores and the vendors at the Expo.

Your welcome. It is exhausting while I was waiting for those stores that morning but I was able to go in the Dream Store and Mickey's of Glendale today. The StorePass is a huge disappointment which it will cut down the wait time to get in the stores. But the passes were already gone at 11am today and there were a lot of disappointing people including me but i was able to go in the two stores that I wanted to go in today. Thank you Denise.

Brett, on Mousewait, people have videos of Johnny Depp @ the Legends awards... did you see him?

--Lori

Johnny Depp was at the Disney Legends Awards and was a surprise Disney Legend. I didn't see that seminar since I was shopping at the Dream Store and MoG. My aunt told me about it which she really enjoyed it. Also during that seminar, Richard Sherman and Ashley Brown were there singing "Kiss Goodnight" the ending song for Disneyland Forever fireworks which i would have enjoyed.

As for today, i just went shopping and see some seminars which i wasn't able to go to the 5pm Imaginnering 60 Disneyland today since the StagePass were all gone. But i was able to go to some vendors and see the Shanghai Disneyland rendering, clothing, etc.
20592954381_144b27e9f1_b.jpg

20398401420_f086cc0104_b.jpg

20398396990_22bd0e8044_b.jpg

19963775104_a13bb108da_b.jpg

John Lasseter shirt collection from the different Pixar movies.
19963764944_b45b4a6a3c_b.jpg

Shanghai Disneyland room
20398361418_51f564be2c_b.jpg

20577364322_c49f0b7cd2_b.jpg

20560110986_0db1c0d998_b.jpg

20577357172_a8d34b26fd_b.jpg

20586330675_1a5df251f9_b.jpg

20592888161_0cd8a65060_b.jpg

20398328458_08e3e82ea2_b.jpg

20398322078_b555cdfe6d_b.jpg

At the vendors, there were two PeopleMover cars from Disneyland
20577324042_e8de84af10_b.jpg

I will post more during the Expo so stay tune for more.

It was fun meeting up with you yesterday and spending a little time checking out the exhibits and other stuff at the Expo!

Love the Lasseter shirts!

Thanks for sharing.

Fran had a field day with those and took pictures of each and everyone one of them to be able to make sure her collection is complete! :rotfl2:

Love it all!!! The pins! The shirts! Shanghai Disneyland! All the art work. I wish I could be there! Thanks again for letting us be there with you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter