Second All in One Disneyland TR Thread - Guardians of the Galaxy Mission: Breakout Review 5/30-6/2

[post=52114562]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 1 –July 26th, 2014 – Part 6

The World is a Carousel of Color

It is almost time for the 9:45pm World of Color show at Disney California Adventure. Even though I do enjoy watching WoC at DCA every time I get the opportunity to come to the DLR, it almost feels like it is almost time to do an update to the show (not a new completely show like World of Color: Winter Dreams but add some new segments to the original show). The last updated of WoC was the Brave segment a couple of years ago and it hasn’t been updated since then. But first, the DLR should try to improve Winter Dreams which was a let down from last year during the holiday season. But I did enjoy it but it wasn’t as huge like the original WoC show.

It didn’t took too long until the 9:45pm WoC show started. I don’t like the new time of WoC which starts at 9:45pm from 9pm & 10:30pm in the past. I can understand why the DLR is cutting down WoC from two shows to one show a night where this is not the off season but it is during the summertime. The show does costs a lot to run and high maintenance with the fountains.

“Every child is blessed with a vivid Imagination” Walt Disney

Little Mermaid scene

Finding Nemo Scene

Wall-E scene

UP scene

Aladdin scene

Rest in Peace Robin Williams

Applause

Brave scene

Pocahontas scene

Pyro scene

Dumbo

After the show was over, I broke down my tripod and video camera that was on the tripod and we started to head on out of the park. Mostly on average, I head on back to the room to call it for the night but DB and V wanted to go on some more rides that night. DCA was closed that night since it was past 10pm so we head on over to DL that night.

We walked on out with all the other crowds to head on over to DL while this is the great thing about DL and DCA where it is and easy walk on over instead of taking a bus or transportation to the next park like WDW.

This is it for this post and stay tune for DL that night.

[post=52114582]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52114569]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 1 –July 26th, 2014 – Part 7

Pirates taking Pictures in NOS

After we watched the 9:45pm World of Color show at Disney California Adventure, we head on over to Disneyland that night to do any last second rides. This is why I do enjoy going to the DLR over WDW where it is a short walk than by taking transportations over to the next park or destination. We didn’t have time to see the second show of F! since it started at 10:30pm and we got in around 10:25pm. But we did plan on seeing F! the next day during the trip which you will read and see later on during the trip report.

When we got to MS, I knew that going up on MS was going to be busy with all the guests leaving that night at the park. So the Disneyland Railroad was still going on that night and it is always fun to ride the DLRR every time at the parks.

There were a lot of people walking down on MS that night.

While we were waiting for the next train to approach the station, I saw a cat roaming along the tracks and I had to get a picture of the cat. I have seen cats roam around the DLR during the daytime but not at night which is a first for me.

The Ward Kimball Engine #5 with Holiday 2 car set approached the station and we boarded the train and on our way to New Orleans Square Station.

When we got to NOS station, we decided to get off and go on Pirates of the Caribbean. Since the second show of F! was going on when we approached the NOS station, it was not going to be a long wait to ride PotC.

We only had to wait less than 5 minutes to get on the ride. While I was taking pictures with the Tokina lens, I also tried something new on my D7100 SLR. When I take pictures of the dark rides, I mostly use ISO 6400 but my camera can go all the way up to 25,600 ISO. But when I tested it out before the trip, it was so blurry on the bottom that it wasn’t a good idea. So I tried to set it up at 12,800 and it first looked good. But when I took it on PotC, I can tell that the bottom had a bluish color on the bottom which isn’t a good thing. Some of the pictures from PotC were cropped where it didn’t look that well. It was a letdown to set the ISO at 12,800 but it was a good test to try it out on PotC where it is very dark.

I was also hopeful that with a higher ISO, I would be able to get more color instead of the red color during the town scene. Just like all my other pictures, I got more of the color red in the picture like when riding the ride.

It would be perfect to eat at BB at this time of the night past 10:30pm.

After we got off PotC, V wanted to check out the stores in NOS while they were still open. Most of them were already closed that night. It was past 11pm that night when we were still in the park.

While they were checking out some stores in NOS while they were open, I went along and took some long exposure pictures while I had the tripod on the back of my backpack.

Of course, I had to get some pictures of NOS. It was so weird to see NOS like this with the changes to Club 33. I was also one of those other people that dislikes the new exterior of the buildings at NOS.

While I was taking some pictures in NOS alley, I also saw some other people that had a tripod and were taking pictures that night just like me. I asked them about the pictures and they do this all the time when they are at the parks. They are actually MiceChat employees that were there that night for Dateline Disneyland. That was neat that they were there at night taking pictures of NOS and a couple of days later, they posted them on the website.

DB and V were patient with me when I was taking pictures that night. Than it was time to call it for the night since it was around 11:30pm. We had a long day at the parks and it was time to call it for the night.

I had my camera on the tripod to get any pictures that was interesting to take. I could have spent even more time in the parks but I was wiped out from that day and didn’t get a long nap like I usually do. But after all, we did drive in the middle of the night and went in the park in the morning, afternoon and night.

PotC

Walking down MS and I should have set the exposure longer where you can see people in the pictures along with the shadows of the people.

We exited DL around 11:40pm and had a 20 minute walk all the way back to Best Western Pavilions.

It was past midnight when we got back to the room and my legs were very sore after all that walking from the DLR to BW Pavilions. There was no question that we had a great day from the driving to Anaheim, going to the parks with V friend Jen and to be able do all the different activities that day. The only downside was all the walking from the hotel to the DLR where it felt even longer than normal for me. I have stayed at BW Stovall’s which is about 12 minute walk to the DLR while the one at BW Pavilions felt like 15 to 20 minutes and it took a toll. I have learned from this trip never to stay at BW Pavilions in the near future with the walk and I don’t like taking the ART bus which can take quite some time.

Tomorrow is a new day at the parks. This time it will be the three of us to enjoy the DLR. Stay tune for the next update.

Bret,
I just love your long exposure shots. Stunning. The Zephyr shots are really cool.

Teresa

I am enjoying your trip report and love your amazing photos. The Zephyr, wow!
I was wondering what is your favorite spot to see WOC? I have never seen it and can't stand too long in one place, so if I could go closer to start maybe that would be helpful.
Can't wait for more of your report!

Your photos are stunning. I'm especially impressed with the World of Color water screen shots and the dark sky in Carsland. It really makes that neon pop!

I need to see the changes to NOS in person. I'm not seeing dramatic change. I'm sure it's because I'm seeing it in 2D.

Bret --

Imagine my surprise at seeing a picture of the Paradise Pier Hotel in your last series of photos! You never take any pictures of the PPH, so that was new! I recognize that intersection so well, as that's where I always cross Disneyland Drive to get from the GCH to the PPH.

The Golden Zephyr photos are absolutely amazing!

How interesting that you ran into Mice Chat people in NOS! Did you tell them you were doing a TR on The DIS?

I can't believe how empty it was along the Rivers of America! Not a person in sight!

I honestly don't think I have ever seen the Lucky Fortune Cookery sign at night. I've walked through the Pacific Wharf area of DCA at night, either on my to Cars Land or Paradise Pier or something, but I've never paid attention to the LFC sign. The dragon looks cool in neon. Are the rice bowls good there? I always forget about that restaurant, to be honest, but I might enjoy a chicken rice bowl.

Gorgeous pictures, Bret. Interesting to see the changes to NOS.

Thank you PiO. The pictures are getting better but my dark ride photos took a step back during this trip in which I increased the ISO to 12,800 where it showed a bluish blur on the bottom. NOS and the buildings changed a lot with the Club 33 expansion. You will see that it is different from your previous visits.

Bret,
I just love your long exposure shots. Stunning. The Zephyr shots are really cool.

Teresa

Thank you TK.

I am enjoying your trip report and love your amazing photos. The Zephyr, wow!
I was wondering what is your favorite spot to see WOC? I have never seen it and can't stand too long in one place, so if I could go closer to start maybe that would be helpful.
Can't wait for more of your report!

Thank you LongTimeFan and thanks for following along.

My favorite spot is in the blue section and the spot is right next to the green fire hydrant. This is the perfect spot if you don't want to get there early for a spot in the viewing area and you also won't get wet where the closer you are to the pier the greater chance you will get wet. You can show up less than 30 minutes and still be able to get the spot (unless other people know about it).

Here is the link by Disneyland_1951 that talks about the green fire hydrant spot (which used to be the yellow fire hydrant).
Yellow Fire Hydrant Spot in the Blue Section

Your photos are stunning. I'm especially impressed with the World of Color water screen shots and the dark sky in Carsland. It really makes that neon pop!

I need to see the changes to NOS in person. I'm not seeing dramatic change. I'm sure it's because I'm seeing it in 2D.

Thank you Jenny. I really need to go up close to get pictures of the fountains during WoC. I have never done that and I should consider it one day. It is so fun to be in CL when the neon lights turn on when the music is playing.

The changes to the buildings, stores, etc. made a big difference in NOS where it is not the same. The biggest change was that you could not enter the Court of Angels anymore since it is now part of Club 33. I wasn't able to get all the pictures that night but I did get pictures the next day so you can see the difference.

Bret --

Imagine my surprise at seeing a picture of the Paradise Pier Hotel in your last series of photos! You never take any pictures of the PPH, so that was new! I recognize that intersection so well, as that's where I always cross Disneyland Drive to get from the GCH to the PPH.

The Golden Zephyr photos are absolutely amazing!

How interesting that you ran into Mice Chat people in NOS! Did you tell them you were doing a TR on The DIS?

I can't believe how empty it was along the Rivers of America! Not a person in sight!

I honestly don't think I have ever seen the Lucky Fortune Cookery sign at night. I've walked through the Pacific Wharf area of DCA at night, either on my to Cars Land or Paradise Pier or something, but I've never paid attention to the LFC sign. The dragon looks cool in neon. Are the rice bowls good there? I always forget about that restaurant, to be honest, but I might enjoy a chicken rice bowl.

I do get pictures of PPH but I don't post them since I have done a lot of them. I was thinking about doing long exposure shots of the hotels but we were tired that night. I have take pictures of the PPH but they don't turn out that well especially at night. The times when I take pictures of the PPH or GCH entrance is when I stay at the Katella Ave hotels.

The Golden Zephyr pictures turned out really well. Thanks to the DISers of taking great pictures on the Disneyland Picture of the Day thread that help me get these ideas.

What a coincidence that I ran into the MiceChat people when I was in NOS that night. I didn't tell them about the trip report that I was doing and it was a good thing that I asked them about the picture taking that night and told me that they are MiceChat photographers for the website.

There were some people right by the RoA that night but they were in the shots since I did a long exposure shot. You can barely see the guests in the picture. It would have been nice to not have them in it but it turned out really well.

LFT sign is really nice and colorful at night. The rice bowls are very nice. Nothing too special but it is nice to have a different cuisine instead of America, Mexican, etc. at the parks. This is a good place to have lunch where I mostly eat at this place when I watch WoC those nights.

[post=52114582]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 1

Solo Time in NOS

After a nice day at the DLR on Saturday, it is now Sunday and our second day during the trip. This is another day where we will get a whole day at the parks like the other one. But this time we will be all rested up even though we left the parks close to midnight on Saturday.

We were still a little tired from Saturday at the Disney parks that we slept in a little longer. DB and V were so tired that they told me that they will go to the park later that day. I didn’t leave the hotel around 8:30am which is a little late for me when I go to the parks. But that Saturday night drained a lot from me where I wanted to sleep a little longer but I always wanted to get as much done in the morning time when it is nice and quiet at the DLR.

I left Best Western Pavilions hotel while DB and V stayed in the room and slept longer. It was around 9am when I got to the park which was a little late that morning.

I head on into DL that morning to get some pictures and also ride the updated Alice in Wonderland ride in FL. This is one of the rides that I must do during the trip since it was down for most of 2014 with the enhancements. I was not able to ride it on Saturday since the wait time was way too high and maybe the wait time would not be that bad.

When in MS, the new Guest Flow Corridors is still under construction.

The park didn’t look that busy that morning where I got there an hour late when it opened at 8am.

I never go around Pixie Hollow that much and it was nice to see it.

I finally made it over to Fantasyland and see the updated Alice in Wonderland ride. It was nice to see it again without the walls. It does look completely different from a few years ago with the ugly tarps on the leaf pads.

Unfortunately, the line to ride AiW was at 50 minutes and there was no way I would wait that long to go on that ride that morning. So I just skipped it and maybe later that day I would be able to ride it with DB and V.

While I was in DL that morning, I went on over to Frontierland to see the new interactive game called “Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!” It is a experience that started in early July which guests can watch the story unfold and be able to create the story themselves. It wasn’t running that morning since it was early where it would start in the afternoon. So I just went around and took pictures of the different activities in Frontierland.

They even have a place where you can get a drink and play the experience as well.

While I was in Frontierland, I head on over to New Orleans Square to look at the rest of NOS where I didn’t take pictures the other night.

When I was in NOS, it was quiet that morning but it was a good opportunity to get some pictures while it was not that busy. I have said it on this trip report that I am not a huge fan of the updated NOS for Club 33 expansion. There were buildings, doors, etc. were all different when the tarps came down during the trip. I wasn’t able to see the whole new NOS during the other trips because of the construction. It was so weird to see it like this and I can tell that some parts of NOS was changed dramatically.

It is so weird not to be able to go in the Court of Angels where that is one of the newest additions for Club 33. There was a statue on the patio and it is now gone.

Here is a picture from the November 2013 trip report during the holiday season as you can tell from the changes to NOS.

The new entrance to Club 33

The new buzzer

After going around NOS, DB texted me and they were now in the park. They told me to meet up with them in Tomorrowland so I head on over to meet up with them.

That will be it for this post and stay tune for the next update at the park.

[post=52140041]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52140028]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 2

The Scary Mansion and Above the Skies on the Monorail

After spending some solo time in the park that morning, DB and V finally woke up and now are in the park waiting for me. They told me to go to Tomorrowland to meet up with them so we can go on some rides that morning. It was going to be difficult to go on the big rides since it is past 10am and the guests are now in the park. So we just played it by ears of what to do that day.

When I got on over to Tomorrowland, they were right next to the entrance of Space Mountain and they were waiting for me to ride Space Mountain. But the wait time was at 50 minutes and I wasn’t willing to wait that long. So we just got the FP’s for Space Mountain that day and the return time was really late till 2pm to 3pm which was late. But we were able to get FP’s for Space Mountain that day.

After getting the FP’s for Space Mountain, we head on over to watch “Guardians of the Galaxy” Exclusive Sneak Peek while Captain EO was closed for this preview. I was able to watch it and now it was DB and V turn to see it while we were in Tomorrowland.

We weren’t allowed to videotape or take pictures in the theater but I was able to get one picture while we were waiting for the show to start.

DB and V were impressed with the clip of Guardians of the Galaxy and were planning on seeing it when it comes out. They were able to see the movie just like me. But I was able to watch the movie when I was in San Antonio during my trip to Texas. The movie was not that bad for Marvel even though I am not a huge Marvel fan but it was fun to watch.

After watching Guardians of the Galaxy, we started to go on over to our next activity that day. V wanted to ride the Haunted Mansion which is one of her favorite rides.

More pictures on the way over to NOS from my favorite view of the Matterhorn with the heart shape which used to be the former Skyway tunnel.

Passing by Sleeping Beauty Castle and I had to get a couple of shots while we were there.

Including right by Snow White Fountain

So we head straight on over to the HM and the wait time was only five minutes in which we only had to wait less than 2 minutes to enter the mansion. I elected to go with the 35mm f/1.8 lens during the ride so it will be easy to get the dark ride photos.

The stretching portraits

For the pictures on the ride, I used the 35mm f/1.8 lens and I also set the ISO at 12,800 to be able to set the shutter speed very high. But it actually backfire on me again just like PotC where they didn’t turn out that well. But I was able to get some on the ride. The bottom of the pictures were also bluish and blurry where I won’t even think about using ISO 12,800 again unless I am able to get the picture that I want with the high ISO.

Some of the pictures with the ISO 12,800 turned out okay.

Can’t forget about the hitchhiking ghosts.

V always enjoy riding the HM where she like the original over the Haunted Mansion Holiday during the Halloween/Christmas season. I do enjoy both of them but I would choose the HMH over the HM.

After we finished riding HM, it was time for lunch and they asked me what restaurant to eat during that afternoon. There was one restaurant that I wanted to try after reading PiO (PrincessInOz) and Alison (franandaj) trip report back in September 2013 when I was with them for a short time that they ate at a restaurant in DTD which turned out to be a good experience. Alison have told me that I got to try this restaurant it was a perfect opportunity to eat there with DB and V. For the people that have read PiO and Alison trip report (which you already know PiO and Alison) you can tell where they ate during the trip.

So we head on out of the park but instead of walking out of the park through MS, I had to ride my favorite ride at DL which is the Monorail. So we walked all the way on over to Tomorrowland to ride the Monorail to head on over to DTD.

Before entering the Monorail queue, the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage was still closed for it’s refurbishment.

While walking through the queue, the blue tarp was still on the queue to prevent the guests from looking at the FNSV lagoon. But I had to get a picture of what the Lagoon is right now while it is drained. It didn’t seem like much has changed during the July trip which I got to see it during the June trip. But much has changed to the FNSV overtime.

We just missed riding Monorail Mark VII Blue to DTD so we had to wait for the next one to arrive.

After 10 minutes, Monorail Mark VII Orange approached the station.

We rode the Monorail all the way on over to DTD and passing by DCA.

We exited the Monorail and now in DTD. We are now off to eat at this specific restaurant that PiO and Alison recommended. I do enjoy walking by the Lego store in DTD and looking at the Disney characters that are made out of Lego.

That will be it for this post and stay tune where we ate that afternoon at DTD.

[post=52166876]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

I don't know where they are headed to eat ;) WOW NOS looks really different....less New Orleans French Quarter... All for the Club 33 expansion?

I think I know where you're heading to eat. :thumbsup2

I said too much and I had a hunch you knew immediately.

I don't know where they are headed to eat ;) WOW NOS looks really different....less New Orleans French Quarter... All for the Club 33 expansion?

You will find out shortly. NOS does look different. Were you able to walk around in NOS last month during your trip and get to see it up close and in person? It was all for the Club 33 expansion.

The next posts will be up shortly.

[post=52140041]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 3

UVA Lunch and back to DL on the Monorail

We were now in DTD heading on over to lunch that afternoon. I have been wanting to try this specific restaurant since last year when two DISers have ate there last year for dinner but this time, I will have lunch instead. DB and V had no problem eating at this restaurant and have looked the menu on my phone.

The restaurant that we ate that afternoon at DTD was UVA Bar and Café. I knew that you know the answer from my last post PiO and Alison. I wanted to try this restaurant for a while now and finally able to eat there. There was a certain dish that Alison recommended to me to eat at the UVA Bar and Café.

We didn’t eat outside that day since it was warm that afternoon since DB and V wanted to eat inside. So we were able to get a table inside the restaurant. It didn’t offer too many tables which is about 8 tables all together.

The menu during our visit.

We started off with the Calamari.

Not too long our entrees came out and it was time to have lunch.

V had the UVA Burger

DB had the French Dip

And of course, I had to get the Lamb Burger that I wanted to try and it was so good that I really enjoyed the burger. The sea salt fries were amazing.

I still talk about the lamb burger when I got back home from Anaheim. My DB and V enjoyed eating at the UVA Bar and Café that if we ever go back to the DLR, we will have to eat here again and maybe this time at night.

When I had to use the restroom which is on the upper floor which is also another part of the restaurant which is also a bar.

After we finished lunch, it was time to head on back to the park and do some other attractions. So we head on back to the DTD Monorail Station to ride the Monorail back to Tomorrowland.

We got to ride Monorail Mark VII Blue which was at the station and on our way back to DL.

DL didn’t seem that busy that afternoon where there wasn’t anyone at the turnstiles.

Now we were back in TL and seeing the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage Lagoon all dried up during the refurbishment. It has been a while since the lagoon has been drained and work is being done in the lagoon.

We got back to the TL Monorail Station and exited the Monorail. After we got off, we still had time to wait until our FP’s for Space Mountain is ready. I remember around that time that one of the shows of Mickey and the Magical Map was about to happen in a short time and it was a good opportunity to watch the show until the FP’s are ready to be used later that day. So we head straight on over to the Fantasyland Theater to watch MatMM.

It took about 5 minutes to walk from TL all the way to the FL Theater and we just got there in time or not.

That will be it for this post and stay tune for the next one.

[post=52166880]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

[post=52166876]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 4

Magical & Space

We were now heading on over to the Fantasyland Theater to watch Mickey and the Magical Map. When we got to the FL Theater, we just made it in time and even though we were in the back but our spot was nice. I have seen this show a lot since the show debut during the summertime of 2013. I have at least watch this show once per trip and even the show hasn’t change much but there were some new additions to the show which made it better.

DB and V have never seen MatMM so they were excited to see the show that day.

During the last trip, I had the telephoto lens which helped me zoom in on the performers but this time, I just used my Tamron lens all the way to 50mm to get the whole entire stage.

Yen Sid

King Louie

The ladies

Sebastian

Stitch made his appearance.

Nice tail.

Princess Tiana

After the show was over, we started to head on back over to Tomorrowland to use our FP’s for Space Mountain. It is nice to ride Space Mountain once in a while. I don’t ride it too often like I have done in the past since DAF and DAW can’t ride intense rides like Space Mountain, Matterhorn, etc.

We just got to Tomorrowland just in time to use our FP’s for Space Mountain which was about to expire at 3pm. So we just made it in time to ride Space Mountain. The wait time was not that bad at 40 minutes at that time where it can be even longer to wait.

I have no problem with riding Space Mountain but the only thing I have problems when riding roller coasters is when I bring my bags on the ride. It will be hard for the bag to fall off the ride but thing is that there is barely any leg room when putting the bag between my bags when going on the ride. I have had bad experience with my bag on Matterhorn Mountain on the new bobsleds where you barely have any room for your own body even with a bag. I still hate those new bobsled cars where I like the old ones.

We rode Space and it is so fun to ride it. I enjoy listening to the music every time I ride it. But I also enjoy riding Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy which is available during the Halloween season. I will have the opportunities to ride SMGG in September or October. You want to ride it PiO?

Our picture on the ride.

After we got off the ride, it was time to head on back to Best Western Pavilions to rest up so we can come back later at the parks to see a nighttime show. I always do this every time of a Disney trip which I got to get a nice rest in the afternoon and be ready for the nighttime shows.

So we head on out of the park and back to BW Pavilions.

While we were walking down on MS, the rope were up and people were waiting for the 4pm Mickey’s Soundsational Parade. DB and V weren’t interested in the parade so we just skipped it that afternoon and head on back to the room.

We had a good morning and afternoon at DL and we will be back for the nighttime. Stay tune for the nighttime at DL and see what show that night.

[post=52205301]Continue to the Next Updated Post[/post]​

WOW your burger did look yummy! Perhaps DH and I will try and eat there in December.

It is strange seeing the Nemo lagoon drained of water. Great shots from the monorail.

I really enjoy MATMM. Nice show and a relaxing way to spend an hour.

Love your ride photo on SM. I really liked the SMGG overlay when I was able to experience it. Not your friendly ghosts but that kind of made it even better :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
TK

Bret - I still dream about that lamb burger. I don't know if I'm going to be able to fit a visit to the Uva Bar for that burger in the October trip....but I hope!!

And I absolutely wanna ride Space Mountain with the holiday overlay as well as HM. We can ditch DS if he doesn't want to get on HM. :rolleyes1

I vary between preferring the telezoom and the standard lens for MatMM. I think it is a stage that deserves the wider view but it is nice to see close-up details.

WOW your burger did look yummy! Perhaps DH and I will try and eat there in December.

It is strange seeing the Nemo lagoon drained of water. Great shots from the monorail.

I really enjoy MATMM. Nice show and a relaxing way to spend an hour.

Love your ride photo on SM. I really liked the SMGG overlay when I was able to experience it. Not your friendly ghosts but that kind of made it even better :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
TK

You will like the UVA Bar and Cafe. It was nice that PiO and franandaj recommended it to me on their trip reports.

I can't believe it has been 8 months since the lagoon has been drained and i read on MiceChat that it is all filled up but it won't reopen until late September which we won't be able to ride it for the upcoming trip in a couple of weeks.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed watching MatMM during your trip and like it. It is a nice show and a good relaxation place during the hot summer.

It has been a long time since I rode Space Mountain and I'm hoping to ride it during the October trip since DAW can't ride roller coasters.

Bret - I still dream about that lamb burger. I don't know if I'm going to be able to fit a visit to the Uva Bar for that burger in the October trip....but I hope!!

And I absolutely wanna ride Space Mountain with the holiday overlay as well as HM. We can ditch DS if he doesn't want to get on HM. :rolleyes1

I vary between preferring the telezoom and the standard lens for MatMM. I think it is a stage that deserves the wider view but it is nice to see close-up details.

If you want, we can plan on eating at the UVA Bar during the October trip at nighttime on Wednesday like you and Alison did last year.

It is nice to ride SMGG during the Halloween season in which I didn't ride it last year when you were there. Maybe this time we will be able to ride it and we got to ride HMH.

It is nice to use the telephoto lens when you are far away from the stage while using a standard or wide angle lens when up close like during the trip last year. It was nice to watch the show up close last year and I haven't been staking out a spot for that show since any location is great unless you want to see the performers up close.

The next post will be up shortly.

[post=52166880]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 5

Staking a Spot and Fantasmic!

We all went back to the room that afternoon to get all rested up so we can go back to Disneyland that night to watch Fantasmic! at 9pm. I have watched F! during the 9pm shows a lot including on my June trip with DAW where we will stake out a spot right by the Rivers of America in order to get a good viewing location.

The thing is that DB and V were still tired that day that I would stake out the spot by the RoA so at least one person will have to be there. So like always, I always stake out a spot and spent a couple of hours to guarantee that spot. They stayed in the room until it was time that night.

I left BW Pavilions around 6:30pm and back on over to the DLR. After walking a few times back and forward from BW Pavilions to the DLR, I know that I will not stay at this hotel in the near future with all the long walking and it also takes a while for the ART buses to pick up the passengers to the DLR.

I got in the park around 7pm which was a little longer than I have thought since there were people waiting to go through the security check-point and turnstiles.

When I got in MS, the 6:30pm Mickey’s Soundsational Parade should be over on Main Street. But to my surprise, the end of the parade was still in Main Street Town Square and there must have been something wrong with the floats if it is still going on in MS where it is past 7pm.

So I had to walk on the walkways since the parade was going on the main street so it was going to be a long walk on over to the New Orleans Square.

After getting through the busy Main Street during the parade, I was now in New Orleans Square and right by the viewing area. It was around 7:15pm when I got on over to the viewing area and it was not that full that night where the railing spots were taken and my favorite spot which is the back area of the rope off area is not all that filled.

But before I got my spot, I went on over to Royal Street Veranda to get the Steak Gumbo which I mostly get when I am at DL and waiting for F!.

It wasn’t that busy at 7:30pm that night where the front was mostly occupied while the back was open. The middle viewing areas are always open while the front and back are the ones that get filled up quickly.

I set up my blanket to mark my area for F! since I still have to wait for DB and V to come later that night. I told them to show up at least 15 minutes until the show started since there are people that try to force their way in at the last second. I have learned over time from all these past trips to bring a blanket so I can mark my spot for the shows.

The Steak Gumbo was for dinner that night.

I just waited that night while it was time for the 9pm Fantasmic! show. I am so used to staking out a spot over the years that I have done it for myself and for other party members. I always keep myself occupy with my tablet or phone when I am at the DLR.

When it was about time for F! to start, they showed up about 10 minutes until it started which was cutting it close. They got in the park late that night and it took them a while to walk on over to the viewing area by the RoA. At least they made it in time instead of coming during the show.

For the 9pm F! show, I used my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for the show which I mostly use all the time. But during the June trip, I used the 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6G lens which got up close pictures. I like to use the Tamron where I can get wider shots while the telephoto lens are good for up close pictures of the characters. I am also considering renting a telephoto lens for my upcoming trip in a couple of weeks but in the end, it will be the regular lenses that I used.

Mickey Mouse

Kaa the snake from the Jungle Book

King Louie and his followers

Pinocchio and the two female marionettes

The Peter Pan scene with the Columbia as the Pirate ship.

Belle and the Beast Princess float scene

Snow White and her Prince

Murphy finally arrived. As why I call it Murphy it is called Murphy by fans after the Murphy law when the dragon went through delays back in 2009 when it debut where it had some problems and it didn’t run during F!. I remember those days in 2009 when Murphy wasn’t running and just seeing Maleficent way high up. It is nice to see it work consistently after every show.

Mark Twain scene with all the different characters.

After F! was over and playing it’s exit music, we were still in the viewing area to wait for Magical: Disney’s New Nighttime Spectacular of Magical Celebrations. DB and V haven’t seen F! in a long time and the last time they have seen F! when Maleficient didn’t have her full body and on a pole. Time has gone by for them since they have seen F! in person and enjoyed watching the show.

That’s it for this post and continue on to the next post.

[post=52205309]Continue to the Next Updated Post[/post]​

[post=52205301]Last Installment on the Trip Report[/post]

Day 2 –July 27th, 2014 – Part 6

Magical Fireworks by the RoA

After the 9pm Fantasmic! show ended. In just a couple of minutes. The 9:25pm show of Magical: Disney’s New Nighttime Spectacular of Magical Celebrations started. I was behind at the beginning of Magical since I was taking apart my video camera that was on the tripod and put my DSLR on so I can get the firework trails. I also had to put on the 0.9 Neutral Density filter in order to be dark enough since the fireworks can be very bright at night without the neutral density filter.

Very interesting that I was at this same spot during the June trip and took pictures from this spot as well. I compared the pictures from both trips and the June trip which was brighter while the July trip turned out to be darker.

Here are pictures from Magical that Monday night.

pimg]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5574/14935615649_06f918d325_b.jpg[/img]

After Magical fireworks was over, mostly this is the time that I head on back to the room and call it for the night but since DB and V were with me that day, we decided to stay in the park a little longer that night and go on a few more rides. I had no problem with that and stayed with them a little longer.

Stay tune what we have done that night after the fireworks.

[post=52218192]Continue to the Next Post[/post]​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts