Seats on Airtran

cwasil

Earning My Ears
I haven't flown in quite awhile...so this is all a little unnerving.

My wife, (4) kids and I fly out Saturday, May 18 at 5am to go to Orlando and I have no idea what seats we'll be in. Airtran doesn't give you the option of picking your seats unless you pay for it. I'm sure you all see where I'm going with this...do I need to be concerned that the airline will scatter us throughout the plane? My feeling is I just spent $1500 to fly the stupid airline and now they want me to pay more to sit in "assigned" seats...I call BS. Am I overreacting or is this a real concern?

Thank you.

You should be able to pick seats when you check in your your flight at 24 hours or less before your flight. You'll be picking from whatever is left after those who paid to pick their seats have chosen. So those seats could be scattered all over the plane.

You can try to get moved together (if you are scattered) at the gate, but no guarantee they'll be able to accommodate you. You can ask someone to switch with you if all else fails but if they paid for the opportunity to pick their seat, they could decline your request. It kind of just depends on how those factors line up for you. Could be that it all works out, but it may not.

Great...I booked through Southwest thinking it was awesome that I didn't have to pay for baggage fees even though I was flying Airtran. Now, in doing some reading, I'm not even able to get assigned seats since I booked through Southwest. Guess I'd better set my alarm clock 24 hours before flight time to get the earliest possible checkin in hopes of getting 6 seats together.

This is a common thing on many discount airlines. If you truly want to sit together, paying the $6 per seat to sit together is the only way to go.

As stated earlier, you will get your seats when you check in for the flight. Best option is to be online directly at the 24 hour mark. I have found that when I check in, Airtran assigns the seats at that time with the option to change them if you want to move. There are no guarantees they will be together as you don't know how many people paid for advance seating.

Honestly, anyone who pays for their seat ahead of time didn't call BS and paid for that assignment, so someone who calls BS and refuses to pay will just have to hope they are lucky or deal with whatever is left. It is the nature of the game. Asking someone who paid for their seat to move because someone else chose not to pay just isn't right.

Great...I booked through Southwest thinking it was awesome that I didn't have to pay for baggage fees even though I was flying Airtran. Now, in doing some reading, I'm not even able to get assigned seats since I booked through Southwest. Guess I'd better set my alarm clock 24 hours before flight time to get the earliest possible checkin in hopes of getting 6 seats together.

Totally different situation since you booked via SW. They don't have assigned seats, but they give a boarding number when you check in. Since you are on Airtran, you will get an assigned seat, but at the 24 hour mark when you check in online.......

No need to call BS since you didn't even have the option to pay anyways.... :)

I'd pay the $6 if I was really worried about it.

ETA
Never Mind, I just saw you booked it through SWA.

It's clearly stated on SW's website BEFORE you book that assigned seating is not available on AirTran flights until check in.

The chances of getting 6 seats together (3 seats behind 3 others or 3 seats across the aisle from 3 others) is going to be next to impossible, unless the flight is lightly booked.

Jim

Most times row 10 is open because they need to save that row for the handicapped if anyone books it for their needs. So try and book right away at the 24 hr. mark. Airtran tends to overbook their flights, so it is rare that your flight will not be full. Good luck, we used to love Airtran and they keep raising their rates from seats to luggage. You are allowed a personal item and a carry on and to most people it means a back pack and the largest carry on luggage allowed. My last two flights the attendants were taking the bags, tagging them and storing them under the plane for free.

I wish AirTran would do SouthWest free luggage policy.

I wish AirTran would do SouthWest free luggage policy.

For our fall trip we booked AirTran through SW website using SW points and got free baggage. The only problem is we can't get seat assignments until the day of the flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter