Seating at restaurants

Meldev

DIS Veteran
We visited with free dining last fall we are a family of six our youngest being 2 at the time then 6,8,10...do you think that factors into where they place you in the restaurant ?
It seemed every place we had a tableservice we were kind of put in the back almost by the kitchen and really our kids behave well at dinner but I was wondering if they see so many kids on the reservation try to hide you away?
Or did we just have bad luck?
(though being in the 'back' at akershus was actually good luck as we had the best character interaction!)

No. I do not believe your party demographic plays a part in what table you get. Your party size does, but not the demographics.

1) SEATERS take their commands from the ASSIGNERS.
2) ASSIGNERS walk around and note empty & available tables on their hand-held computers.
3) When needed, the ASSIGNER also pulls tables together for larger group sizes.
4) When ready, the ASSIGNER transmits the info via computer to the podium.
5) The SEATER prints out the ticket and takes you to the table.
6) Where you sit is a function of
. . . available tables
. . . order in which your ressie pops up on the ASSIGNER's handheld
. . . which SERVER is next for guests (the ASSIGNER must try to balance out all SERVERS, in order to level their tip opportunity)

NOTE: The SEATER (podium person) can send a text message with the ADR to the ASSIGNER and request a table location. This is not done very often, but if you are VERY NICE to the SEATER it can get you a better table spot. The SERVER can still place you anywhere, but at least you have a chance to not be placed in Siberia or near the kitchen.

We are also a family of six (me, husband, 12, 7, 3, and 2 on last trip). Sometimes we have had what I'd consider a great seat, sometimes not so much. I think Disney is probably the last place on earth that's likely to "hide away" parties with young children since that would be a lot of guests. Hoping you have better luck next time, and it never hurts to ask for a different table if you happen to see an open one you prefer. :-)

Oh it wasn't detrimental to our trip - midway through DH and I were laughing about it!
First ADR we were in room with no one else at Tusker House (a little isolating but also kind of nice for us!), near entry at Ohana, by kitchen at BOG, kitchen again at akershus (again that worked nicely!) -
Just wondering how it worked... Good to know they weren't funneling us away for a reason haha!

The only place I have felt like kids might have been placed in a specific place was in Chefs de France. It seems that the only kids in the restaurant were all congregated in the same section on 2 separate visits, and we have been seated in roughly the same place every time (the side by the fountain). It was probably just coincidence though.

The only place I have felt like kids might have been placed in a specific place was in Chefs de France. It seems that the only kids in the restaurant were all congregated in the same section on 2 separate visits, and we have been seated in roughly the same place every time (the side by the fountain). It was probably just coincidence though.

We have noted this too over 4-5 visits! And, it is the only Disney restaurant that has made us feel like there is a kid's ghetto. They tried to put my 8-year-old and I at a terrible table in that section last trip and I asked to sit elsewhere. They moved us nearer the windows and it was divine. :)

We are a party of two and we sometimes feel we are smashed against a wall while others with a bigger party get out in the open. Wait, that might not be at Disney World, no it has been at Disney World!

Oh it wasn't detrimental to our trip - midway through DH and I were laughing about it!
First ADR we were in room with no one else at Tusker House . . .

1) This might have been the small room on the far Right side of the eatery.
2) The alcove-room is commonly called "The Closet".
3) It is typically used for disabled kids or those with problems (example: Autism) that might disturb others.
4) The SEATER or ASSIGNER might have perceived an issue - - - OR, it was the last place left available.

1) This might have been the small room on the far Right side of the eatery.
2) The alcove-room is commonly called "The Closet".
3) It is typically used for disabled kids or those with problems (example: Autism) that might disturb others.
4) The SEATER or ASSIGNER might have perceived an issue - - - OR, it was the last place left available.
The place was packed and we waited quite a while. By the end of our breakfast two other tables were seated there.
No problems to perceive, that was our first stop of the trip - kids were happy and well behaved. (Two year old had one meltdown closer to 5 days into trip and not at any meals fortunately)
Our res was noted for two types of food allergies though!

Last edited:
The place was packed and we waited quite a while. By the end of our breakfast two other tables were seated there.
No problems to perceive, that was our first stop of the trip - kids were happy and well behaved. (Two year old had one meltdown closer to 5 days into trip and not at any meals fortunately)
Our res was noted for two types of food allergies though!

Tuskar house is very careful with families with allergies this easily could have been the reason for seating you there also like you said the place was packed.

We only took our whole family to WDW together and that was about 8 years ago. The only place we were given a "bad" seat location was at Akurshus. Right by the door where the princesses come out. Made getting to the buffet close to impossible.

I think overall it is just where the tables fit in the restaurant. For example there are tables for 2 by the window in Sanaa.

To the OP, I just think it was luck of the draw. Last June when we were in Disney I kept joking to my wife, could our seating locations get any worse than they were? If there was a nearby restroom, a main doorway, a server station, side room or window as far away as possible, it was where we were seated. We were on the DxDP, made all our ADR's at 180+10 days out, and had a 13 year old and a 16 year old traveling with us. It didn't ruin our trip but finally on our last night when we had dinner at the California Grill and we asked to be seated somewhere closer to a window. I'm hoping this June with just my wife and I we manage to get some better seating.

. . . I'm hoping this June with just my wife and I we manage to get some better seating.

1) Most TS eateries are in the process of adding headsets for the SEATERS and ASSIGNERS.
2) This way, the SEATER can easily/instantly communicate with the ASSIGNER.
3) Should make getting your more-favored table easier. *

* Last Friday at Olivia's (at Old Key West), we went 'round-and-'round with a SEATER. We were assigned a table near the kitchen. TheRustyScupper does not sit near a kitchen or SERVER'S station. They did not want to allow us to take a same-size table in a different location. We had to actually get a manager to override the ASSIGNER's selection. Maybe if the SEATER had communicated with the ASSIGNER, this could have been avoided.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter