Seasickness and Allegra?

I took meclizine for a gew days befor the cruise. I rode several roller coasters and rides at WDW that would normally have given me problems. I did well with meclizine. Using it for the cruise was great. I take meds for high BP and had no difficulties.

micmse2003, I grew up in Hoffman :) I miss Woodfield. I remember when it was just a wooded field. :lmao:

All I know is the first cruise I was on Allegra and so was my husband for the entire 7 days and we both got sick. (the waves were 16 feet from the outer bands of a hurricane. My DH has major health problems and was told to take
Meclizine. We both took them on the 10 days with no problems and NO side effects, And No motion sickness.

I am taking Allegra and was wondering if you took both the Allegra and the Meclizine? I'm curious if its safe.

I am taking Allegra and was wondering if you took both the Allegra and the Meclizine? I'm curious if its safe.

I took both at the same time. Like I stated earlier the Allegra did not help with motion sickness. :rolleyes1 The meclizine is wonderful. We are hoping to go on PC eastbound and we will take our meclizine before the trip til we get off the boat. Once you get sick, it takes longer to get better.

I took meclizine for a gew days befor the cruise. I rode several roller coasters and rides at WDW that would normally have given me problems. I did well with meclizine. Using it for the cruise was great. I take meds for high BP and had no difficulties.

micmse2003, I grew up in Hoffman :) I miss Woodfield. I remember when it was just a wooded field. :lmao:

I have lived here for 35 years when it was farms except for Woodfield. If I have to be stuck living in Illinois, I glad I am in Schaumburg. We plan on retiring to Florida in 5 years. We will be able to get the Florida resident reates. YEAH:woohoo: I want to live in Orland area.

I took both at the same time. Like I stated earlier the Allegra did not help with motion sickness. :rolleyes1 The meclizine is wonderful. We are hoping to go on PC eastbound and we will take our meclizine before the trip til we get off the boat. Once you get sick, it takes longer to get better.

We are planning on the westbound. We could have talked about all thew old stomping grounds, like Hippo's, The Buggywhip and the Schaumrose Inn. I have great stories about St. Hubert's Father W and the Buggywhip.

OTC Meclizine comes in 12.5mg and 25mg. I bought the lower strength and tested it out at home first. I can take up to 25mg and have little or no drowsiness where as my sister can take 1/2 of a 12.5mg tablet and be out for hours! Everyone metabolizes medications differently so it's best to experiment prior to the cruise. Metabolism of meds is very true in children. Quite often medications that cause drowsiness in adults will cause extreme hyperness/excitability in children. Learned that the hard way when I gave DS benadryl before a long flight :sad:

I tried the patches last year and thought the side effects were more annoying than the nausea. The two side effects I experienced with the scopalamine patches were 1.) EXTREMELY blurred vision (I wore latex gloves when I applied the patch so as not to get residue on my fingers and potentially in my eyes) and 2.) EXTREMELY dry mouth.

As other posters have said the key is PREVENTION!! If you wait until you are green to take something it is toooooo late!!! I took a 25mg meclizine right as we boarded the ship so that it would be working when we sailed 4-6 hours later.

If you are worried about medication side effects or medications interactions, you can also try the sea bands.

I take Claritin for allergies and it does nothing for my motion sickness. For that, I take Bonine once a day. I take it before bed so if does make me drowsy, I sleep through it. I've also noticed that with the Bonine I can read a little in the car, which I've never been able to do before.

Whatever you plan to take, you should probably try it out in advance. If you are going to have side effects it would be nice to have them at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter