Sea food

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Cantw8, Jan 25, 2013.

1. mombrontrent

mombrontrent DIS Veteran

I remember vaguely eating a tuna fish sandwich when I was about 5 and my mom claims I liked lobster and shrimp as a 2 year old. I rememebr thrwoing huge crying fit when I was 7 when my dad tried to make me try a bite of fish:lmao: Other then that I have never tried seafood until last wekend. I hate the smell of it and being vegan the opportunity rarley comes up:rotfl:

Anyways last weekend at Costco they were handing out samples of seaweed salad. My 6 year old vegetarian who likes almost everything and loves to try new foods wanted us to try it as she has been curious for awhile about "seafood". So I try it and immediatley realize how repulsive it is. It is all slimy and tastes incredibly fishy. I have never in my life tasted something this bad. There was no way I was going to get my small bite down without vommiting so I descretly turn away and spit it back out into the container. When I turn around my DD has a look of horror on her face and looks like she is about to cry. I told her it was Ok to spit it out this time so she did and matter of factly stated that she was never eating anything grown in the sea again. The terrible taste wouldn't leave my mouth so I searched in vain for another sample to rid my mouth of the awful fishiness. Of course all they had was meat and cheese samples:lmao: Finalely just near the end of our trip by the checkout I managed to snag a sample of some dark chocolate.:worship:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. nd5056

nd5056 DIS Veteran

You just like to take the life from one extreme to the other, don't you? :scared:

Being a seafood lover I never try the seafood samples from Cosco or any other store, it's either too stinky or has to much junks added into it. The only things i get from there has to be from the ocean, raw and frozen so i can clean it and prep it the right way.

4. J.C.&ALI'SMOM

J.C.&ALI'SMOM <font color=darkblue>I really had to bite my tongu

I like it all! My favorites are crab and oysters. I love shrimp cooked any way! I haven't tried some of the more exotic seafood like jellyfish or sea cucumbers though.

Escargot is not seafood.

5. Janepod

Janepod <font color=royalblue>The new dinning plan is out.

Fair enough! I always throw them in the same category as winkles. I do enjoy both.

6. Sorsha

Sorsha <font color=royalblue>People, don't be like the ch

I don't usually care for "bi-valves" (clams, oysters, mussels) etc. (with a few exceptions)
    I don't eat anything with suckers (octopus, squid, no calamari, etc)
    I don't do eels or anything that might poison me (puffer fish) if prepared incorrectly
    It has to be cooked (no sushi, even tuna steaks gag me when they are uncooked in the middle).
    I don't do "unidentified inner parts" (roe, caviar) or strange bottom-of-the-sea type creatures (sea urchin, sea cucumber, etc)

I do :love: LOVE :love: shrimp, lobster, crab legs (I wish the darn things were a little easier to eat, though), scallops.
    I love shrimp in all forms - fried, grilled, scampi (be still my heart :cloud9: )
    One of the most heavenly things I have ever eaten was a lobster tail, split and stuffed with a stuffing made of different kinds of seafood, breadcrumbs, and cheese, then grilled.
    Crab cakes - YUM.
    "Anything" Oscar - a base of something topped with asparagus, crab meat, and Hollandaise sauce

I like fish, but only "white" fish. It has to be skinless, boneless, and mildly flavored. Salmon is too strong for me. :crazy2: One of my favorite things is a nice piece of cod, topped with a little butter and a lot of lemon, topped with chopped fresh herbs, baked just until it flakes apart. :thumbsup2

Finally, I am not a huge "chowder" fan (see above dislike of bivalves) but when I was in Seattle, I ate at Pike Place Chowder and they had the most DIVINE Seafood Bisque!! All different kids of seafood and fish in a beautiful creamy tomato base. I recently found out that they ship!! To my door in just two days!!! Oh I so didn't need to know that, I have been craving that soup ever since. ;)

7. Stitchfans

Stitchfans Tres Charming

:rotfl2: I am so surprised no one has said, "Fish is our friends.. not food" :rotfl2:
    Most likely messed that quote up but was too lazy to look it up.

In answer to the question. I just about eat all seafood love it. All except sushi so far tried it didn't like it. On Friday nights the American Legion Hall down the street from me always has a fried catfish dinner for $7 a plate. It is awesome. Better then Long John Silvers. :rotfl2: When we have the extra money we treat ourselves to a catfish dinner with the best hush puppies I've ever eaten, french fries and cole slaw or baked beans with bacon. They switch off with the last two items. Yum!! Wish I had the extra money but this month has been really tight.

Next month will be even tighter since I got socked with a $300 electric bill. :crazy2: Still trying to figure that one out. :confused3

8. DeaverTex

DeaverTex Native Texan who's ready to go back to Disney!

Seafood doesn't offend me at all. But I'm of the opinion that, if you hold its head underwater and it doesn't drown, it's not food. And if it doesn't have a definable head, it's not food either.

It just smells wrong, and I don't care how fresh it is. It still smells bad. There's some research that backs me up, too. I'm not going to go on a Google rampage to find it, but as I recall, the compounds present in seafood that give it that "fishy" smell are present even in fresh fish. Some lucky folks can smell it even before it begins to break down, which is when most people can start smelling that distinctive smell of old fish. That may be why I've NEVER found any sort of seafood that didn't smell repulsive, even if I didn't know that it was seafood until someone told me.

You guys can have my share, with my compliments.

9. BlovesC

BlovesC home is where the Yeti is!

NO clams, mussels, or oysters.

Everything else is wonderful. Yes, I'm including octopus and squid.

But my two favorites are considered 'wimpy' seafood; shrimp and tilapia. I could give up any other type of protein and just eat those the rest of my life. :thumbsup2

There's something about seafood that makes it so less intimidating to try new and 'exotic' varieties. I haven't come across a type of seafood I wasn't willing to try, yet at the same time I won't eat pork, lamb, veal, dark meat poultry...list goes on. :laughing:

10. Zandy595

Zandy595 DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>The other day I f

Just an FYI, seafood should not have a smell, if it's fresh.

My favorite is probably lobster, especially the claws. I can't think of any food from the water I don't like.

I would eat seafood everyday if I could. And that's exactly what I do when I go on a cruise. :fish: :snail:

11. chuckabone

chuckabone Mouseketeer

I love all seafood except lobster. Every once in a while I will eat a small one but it has to have a crab stuffing in it. :)

12. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

No offence toward me with seafood! I love most of it except oysters - can do with out those except in a stew.

I'm a Louisiana girl, so crawfish, blue crabs, and shrimp are my favorites. In fact, what I miss most are our crawfish boils - now that is the life! ;) Blue crab and shrimp boils are not too shabby either :goodvibes

13. michael61

michael61 Mouseketeer

Sounds great but if you get it done right you would love it with or without stuffing,
    Getting hungry
    Lol

14. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

I eat almost all seafood, although do not eat muscles, clams, etc. Now I would eat them on the east coast if I was ever there one day. :scratchin

One of these days I want to travel the east coast eating FRESH seafood.

SO that is my favorite FRESH SEAFOOD. Anything that has been caught and prepared immediately. So good....and that even includes lake fish.:thumbsup2

Obviously here in Missouri, if you want fresh, it has to be lake fish or a fancy restaurant.

Getting "fresh" in the grocery store is just not the same.:confused3

15. mhsjax

mhsjax DIS Veteran

A little jealous. I bet your seafood is fantastic, fresh and from cold water. I love most seafood, but I like it in its pure form, as in I don't like any type of crab stuffing, or crab cakes. I would kill for some of your salmon. YUM.

16. U2_rocks!

U2_rocks! <font color=coral>The DISer formerly known as U2_r

Right there with you! :thumbsup2

17. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

No kidding. Tasha is from Alaska. I would vacation there just to eat fresh seafood if I could.:thumbsup2

18. scrapquitler

scrapquitler DIS Veteran

I like it all EXCEPT Tilapia.

19. writerriann

writerriann Mouseketeer

I need to find some recipes to prepare fish. We keep saying we're going to eat more but I don't really know what to do with it. I would love some ideas on how to bake something like mahi. We like stuff grilled or backed. Fresh Market sells a coconut crusted mahi that all you do is heat up and we love it.

20. snapppyd

snapppyd God is Great, Beer is Good and People are Crazy

Love: fried calamari (only the rings), fried cod (fish N'chips) clams in white wine sauce, crab cakes, mussels in white wine, fresh tuna steak on the grill.

hate: lobster, salmon, eel.

21. Princess Dolly

Princess Dolly <font color=green>Unfortunately it encroached the

Until recently I liked pretty much everything except oysters. For some reason now though I have been getting turned off by seafood. I haven't given up yet though. I do need to know if it was wild or farmed raised and the country of origin before it passes my lips.

And seaweed salad from Costco sounds just so wrong. Seaweed salad prepared correctly is awesome.