Scrubs

Pomlover2586

Experiment 626
So I'm starting a veterinary receptionist job- and I get to wear scrubs. I went shopping and was surprised at how uncomfortable so many of them were- particularly no movement in the arms and stiff fabrics. I was able to buy about 5 pants and 6 tops- a whopping $350. I'm shocked at the cost- 27-35$ per item as well as the uncomfortableness and hard time fitting things. I'm fairly petite, so extra fabric in the crotch on the pants, and tight arms on the tops were the main issues.

So my question is does anyone else find scrub shopping difficult? What suggestions do you have for a scrub newbie?

I don't wear scrubs for work, but I bought some pants last year for some volunteer trips that involved hard physical labor. I'm petite and found a pretty good selection online at Amazon. I'm hard to fit and a lot of the options I looked at had free returns. I liked being able to rely on reviews. The ones in the link below worked out for me. They just look and feel like regular cargo pants. Can't speak to tops. If you're unhappy with what you bought, you could think about returning them and looking online. $25-$30 per piece seems about average, but I found some for as low as $18.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C4VTUY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

I've been wearing scrubs for 10+ years and don't find shopping for them to be difficult. Grey's Anatomy (and all of Barco's divisions for that matter) make really soft, moveable scrubs. Cherokee can be hit or miss and their workwear line tends to be stiffer than their others. Healing Hands has soft scrubs, and Uniform Advantage has their own line of Butter Soft scrubs. Shop around to find the best deals. As the poster above me mentioned a lot of uniform stores have discounts and at mine it's 25%-30% off the purchase price. Shop clearance sales online. About 3 months ago I got 4 sets of Grey's Anatomy scrubs for $50 on Allheart!

Find a scrub uniform shop or buy online. Chain store scrubs are like sand paper. They will get softer if you run them through the washer with about 5 gallons of fabric softener LOL, but don't go near an open flame or poof you'll be gone. I've gone shopping with my wife for scrubs, needless to say, it's easier buying a new car and takes less time.

I'd second buying online or from a catalog. I don't have to wear scrubs but I do wear a lab coat each day, and I get all of mine from catalogs. Grey's Anatomy line is actually quite good.

I buy mostly from Lydia's or Uniform Advantage. Sign up for thier e-mails. Google "coupon codes" before submitting an order. My favorite scrub tops are Cherokee Flexibles. LOVE them, so comfortable. Pants, I like the Cherokee pull-on. They have an elastic waist and fit with no excess hanging in the crotch :) I do buy other brands too, but these are my favorite.

Thanks guys! The pants I ended up with are Greys Anatomy and most of the tops are either WonderWink, or Dickies. I'm keeping my eyes open for cheaper deals in the future, but at least I was able to get a starter wardrobe, even if they are expensive.

Another vote for uniform advantage. Reasonable prices and cute styles. Greys anatomy/barco are nice, but pricey wherever you go. I've found that the uniform advantage butter-soft are more than adequate, comfy, and affordable - especially if you look at their clearance.

When my DD started her job at an orthodontist's office, she had to run out and buy scrubs. We have a local uniform store and she got some there. They are very uncomfortable. All her other uniforms have been purchased by the orthodontist practice and I have noted that most of them are Grey's Anatomy. They are also a weird kind of stretchy material and very comfortable. Probably expensive though.

I started by only buying a few pieces here and there to find out what I liked and didn't like. When I thought something was really cute, it may not turn out to be practical or comfortable. When I found a type of pants or top I liked, I stuck with them. What I found more important was the shirts I bought to wear under my tops. I liked to wear very thin long sleeved t-shirts. Target had really nice ones, maybe they still have them.

I'm not one to use liquid fabric softener, but I would always wash my scrubs in fabric softener the first couple of washes to soften them up. Once washed a few times they will be less stiff and feel like you are wearing pajamas.

As a vet tech assistant (currently not working in that field by choice :) ) I would recommend not spending very much. Some receptionists end up being quite active in the practice, assisting with office procedures and such. There are some things that will get on your clothes that you're just not going to want to wash. You're going to want to pitch them(Anal sac expression...:sick::faint:).

As a vet tech assistant (currently not working in that field by choice :) ) I would recommend not spending very much. Some receptionists end up being quite active in the practice, assisting with office procedures and such. There are some things that will get on your clothes that you're just not going to want to wash. You're going to want to pitch them(Anal sac expression...:sick::faint:).

I did the same job for about 2 years, started as the receptionist, and couldn't agree with you more. You mentioned previous that Wal-Mart was a good place to get them. I totally agree, people don't think of it and go right away to uniform places. Super cute, comfortable, and cheap. I still buy them there, usually cheaper than PJs or lounge wear.

Congratulations on the new job OP.

Wash them and wash them and wash them. My favorites started out like yours and now are like a second skin. Fit is important I have mine altered to fit. Ask at your local JoAnn's or a similar sewing store. Sometimes these ladies can find you a good seamstress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter