Scrappers: how do you build up your supplies?

Madi100 said:
If I could start all over, I would be one of those people that only has the basics - tape runner, scissors, 12" trimmer, personnal trimmer. Then I would sort my pictures and go and buy paper for each set of pictures. Right now I have so much stuff that I can't find something. I forget I have it, and when I'm looking for something it takes so long to go through things.
Yes, yes, I totally agree!! Sometimes I feel like I have too much stuff and it just overwhelms me. It kills me to think how much money I've wasted on stuff that I can't find/haven't used. My advice would be to build your stash slowly and thoughtfully with mostly items that can be used on several projects (such as tools).

DiznEeyore said:
Yes, yes, I totally agree!! Sometimes I feel like I have too much stuff and it just overwhelms me. It kills me to think how much money I've wasted on stuff that I can't find/haven't used. My advice would be to build your stash slowly and thoughtfully with mostly items that can be used on several projects (such as tools).

Not trying to hijack the thread but when you said you have stuff you never use....... I have a suggestion. Some of my scrapping friends have a scrap night once a month - we rotate houses and scrap for 4- 5 hours. Set out some of your supplies that you never use or are not going to use and offer to share with others. Someone else may just need that item you are not going to use. Also, when one of us buys a package of something (pick anything scrap related), we share and then the next person shares theirs and so on. That way, you have just what you need, none to have to store somewhere, and everyone goes home happy! :thumbsup2

Grumpy's Gal said:
Not trying to hijack the thread but when you said you have stuff you never use....... I have a suggestion. Some of my scrapping friends have a scrap night once a month - we rotate houses and scrap for 4- 5 hours. Set out some of your supplies that you never use or are not going to use and offer to share with others. Someone else may just need that item you are not going to use. Also, when one of us buys a package of something (pick anything scrap related), we share and then the next person shares theirs and so on. That way, you have just what you need, none to have to store somewhere, and everyone goes home happy! :thumbsup2

I did this. I've been scrapping for about eight years. I just seriously started up again, and I have a ton of stuff that I just think is outdated and old. I put it out and a bunch of my friends took it all. I was thrilled to share. I couldn't believe that they wanted it, but I've seen them use it, and it looks nice.

However, MOST of the stuff I have now I really like. I just have a lot of stuff that I really like, and I can't find.

Grumpy's Gal said:
A very good idea! Unfortunately, I have no friends who scrap. :confused3 I've sold some things on eBay and donated other things, but still have things I probably won't ever use.

DiznEeyore said:
A very good idea! Unfortunately, I have no friends who scrap. :confused3 I've sold some things on eBay and donated other things, but still have things I probably won't ever use.

I guess you just need to send all of your extras to me :) Just kidding. I love scrapping with my friends. Do you have a local scrapbook store that has workshops or do you prefer scrapping by yourself? I think that's part of the fun is getting together with friends.

Madi100 said:
I guess you just need to send all of your extras to me :) Just kidding. I love scrapping with my friends. Do you have a local scrapbook store that has workshops or do you prefer scrapping by yourself? I think that's part of the fun is getting together with friends.
LOL!! I used to work at an LSS and did the crops there, but again, I don't have any friends who scrap like I do, and I'm not the type that will just go to a crop alone. And, truthfully, I find I get a lot more done by myself. Plus, I have a wonderful scrappin' room and can't see packing stuff up to go to a crop when I have everything I need at home. :)

My suggestion would be buy the basics that you need: a good basic album, a 12x12 paper trimmer (if you use 12x12 albums), otherwise a personal trimmer, a good adhesive, a corner rounder if you like the corners rounded, and some solid colors of card stock. I also love the sales at Hobby Lobby and Michael's, like the others on the board. Also, the usually offer a 40% off coupon on one item. Then you can stock up on extras like fibers, an eyelet punch, eyelets, brads, stickers, etc. When one of the stores offers 40% - 50% off of paper or stickers, I purchase things that match the photos that I have taken or plan to take. I also have a son, so I buy boy-themed items, primary colors, etc. Things that I know I will use eventually. For organization I use the paper keepers for 12x12 paper (one for solids and one for printed) and the Creative Memories carts. Have fun scrapbooking!

~LA :sunny:

These are all such great ideas. I am hoping to get back into scrapping when my youngest DD starts preschool.

Another place for unneeded scrap supplies is your local March of Dimes - I discovered they help parents of babies who die or are stillborn to create memory albums about their children. It helps them heal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter