Scotland: A Brave Adventure Meets Thread

Discussion in 'Adventures By Disney' started by sayhello, May 29, 2012.

1. calypso726

calypso726 Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time

I thought so too! We are flying on United Airlines.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. SingingMom

SingingMom DIS Veteran

That was supposed to read "start saving those points". (dopey auto correct on the iPad lol)

You should be able to get some sleep on that flight in that comfy seat!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

4. CaliforniaGirl09

CaliforniaGirl09 DIS Veteran

Very jealous of those first class seats! Sadly, we just used out miles for London so we'll be paying cash. Flights are super expensive right now. I'm waiting for a drop.

5. Calfan

Calfan DIS Veteran

After more calls to United than I care to think about, we too have finalzed our air travel arrangements to and from Edinburgh. I managed to use United miles for 3 of our party of 4, so all of the calls (and some angst over getting my husband's reservation ticketed) paid off. Alas, we are not flying first class like calypso726 (jealous!), but I am still satisfied with the arrangements. Another step closer to our fabulous adventure in Scotland...

6. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

FYI, UA flies the 757-200 to EDI, which does not have a first class. It's BusinessFirst, which is actually business class. This is a reconfigured Continental plane. Of course, it is very nice and a huge improvement over a seat in economy, but it's not Global First class. Also, the seat you have pictured appears to be a global first class seat, not a BusinessFirst seat. Here's a good summary of the business service:

http://www.svenblogt.de/airlinereview-united-businessfirst-on-txl-ewr-757/

7. calypso726

FYI, There are a number of ways to get to Edinburgh from the US and United operates a decent number of planes from a decent number of airports across the country to get there. We are not flying direct. The long haul which is 7 hours 50 minutes from IAD connecting into FRA is on a Boeing 777-200 which is a 3 cabin plane and the seats are in Global First operated by UA. We then have a less than 2 hour connection from FRA into EDI.

8. CaliforniaGirl09

With those seats sounds like there is room for me? Pretty please? Can't I tag along :) Sigh. Unfortunately not enough miles for us and I'll be relegated to "steerage" as my DS puts it :)

9. calypso726

Sure! Why not :thumbsup2 Without the travel hacking blogs and forums we would have never had enough miles either. But, then again that was part of the strategic plan to get DH to agree to this trip when we hadn't budgeted for it. We'll probably be in "steerage" for our flight to the DCL Alaska cruise in 2014.

10. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

I misread the post; should not have assumed the nonstop option from EWR would be most people's first choice. I try not to connect in FRA myself; spent too many hours there due to missed connections (late arriving flights, loooong security lines).

11. CaliforniaGirl09

LOL awesome! I think I need to have you do our strategic planning next time, DS (and the rest of us for that matter) would be much happier.

12. Calfan

Calfan DIS Veteran

We are connecting through Frankfurt as well (and then taking Lufthansa to Edinburgh). What day are you arriving? We will be there on Aug. 1.

We had no problem connecting through FRA to Barcelona for our DCL Med cruise. My theory is I would much rather have to deal with a cancellation or missed connection when I am already in Europe (when trains, ferries, etc. can get you to your final destination) than when I am still in the U.S. and the Atlantic Ocean still needs to be crossed.

13. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

"Travel hacking blogs and forums"? What are those???

Sayhello

14. calypso726

The non stop from EWR would have been my first choice but it wasn't available for partner award travel. We're using US Air miles. Fortunately, we are coming in a couple of days early. If life decides to throw us an unexpected adventure :upsidedow we'll have plenty of time to deal with it.

Happy to oblige. I think I might have posted somewhere on this board, but not this thread what my planning entailed. :crazy2:

We will be getting into FRA on Aug. 2nd.

Yup totally agree. I'd rather be there and come up with plan b or c.

You know how there are numerous blogs, forums and message boards dedicated to all things Disney? People read and share to learn how to make the most of their trip. Things like how FP's work, need to make ADR's at the 180 day mark for certain restaurants, best place to see fireworks etc.

Well, there are other forums, blogs, message boards dedicated to all the ways to travel free or near free. On these boards people share what airline or travel credit card bonus is worth signing up for. How to make the spend requirements without really spending as much. Which cards to keep and actually spend money with, utilizing bonus spend categories, which ones to cancel, which ones to sign up for again. Whenever there is an offer to earn bonus miles for something I find out from those forums.

I just started this when we booked the Scotland ABD and between DH and I we have hauled in 770K in miles. I'm helping my parents with the travel hacking now too since we are planning to do the London/Paris ABD in 2014. My mom knew what I was doing for our Scotland trip and asked if would be possible to do it for our trip with them too :goodvibes

15. Calfan

Calfan DIS Veteran

770k miles since booking this trip? Wow! Would you mind sharing what blogs and forums you are following? If you don't want to post them here (or maybe you aren't allowed to?) you can PM me or send me an email at calfan2009@yahoo.com.

16. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel Moderator

Me, too? I'd love it if you could PM me the links to those blogs & forums! I'm hoping to do Greece or Scotland in 2014, and I'd love to fly not-steerage!

Sayhello

17. calypso726

E-mail and PM sent. Good luck! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need help along the way!

18. OhhBother

OhhBother Mouseketeer

I'd be interested in these links too. We just booked our airfare to Scotland through AMEX, but we're going on an Antarctic cruise in 2014, and I'd love to have free airfare for that one.

19. calypso726

PM sent!

20. SingingMom

SingingMom DIS Veteran

Me too! Me too! ;-)

Renee

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

21. calypso726

PM sent :thumbsup2