• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooters on escalator?

That looks more like a power chair than a scooter, which makes even less sense. Typically power chair users are more full time users, and so have more experience. You'd think she would know better. It has a smaller footprint than an scooter, but not that small.

It does look like a power chair. I can't imagine anyone trying to go up an escalator in either one!

In the past DW and I have taken her manual WC on put a power chair...really???:confused3

That's asking for trouble.

It looks like a Hoveround.
http://www.hoveround.com/power-chair-accessories

From things I have heard, there is very little instruction given with those -similar to the very quick run thru when renting ECVs in the parks. Power wheelchairs are harder to use thn an ECV, so need more education.

No matter how little education or experience, I can't imagine anyone would think taking a ECV or wheelchair on an escalator would be a good idea (even a manual wheelchair could be pretty dangerous).

That is crazy. There is no way to get a scooter or power wheelchair on an escalator safely. If there is no available elevator then find someone to show you where one is located.

I saw that on my local news. What upset me was the news anchor said, snottily, "and then the woman got out of the scooter and walked down." It is always upsetting that most people think you have to not have any use of your legs to be able to use an EVC!

Yep a Hoverround.

Personally I've gone up escalators on my own or down them with a little help. It's not that tough with a manual wheelchair. But you need the nice big back wheels that a manual chair has or else you're just asking for trouble.

I do usually use the elevators but every now and then you see a cool escalator and you feel like being a rebel. :rotfl2:

That is crazy. There is no way to get a scooter or power wheelchair on an escalator safely. If there is no available elevator then find someone to show you where one is located.
I'm guessing everybody listened to the audio as well? "Now, transit workers said there was an elevator nearby..."?

At any given time, up to ten percent of the elevators to/from the subway platforms in Boston are Out of Service. This was one of them.

I'm guessing everybody listened to the audio as well? "Now, transit workers said there was an elevator nearby..."?

At any given time, up to ten percent of the elevators to/from the subway platforms in Boston are Out of Service. This was one of them.

Then you are guessing wrong. I don't listen to audio that isn't captioned and much of what is on the internet is not captioned. Plus the captioning pn my tv is out. We are going to replace it next week.

Personally I've gone up escalators on my own or down them with a little help. It's not that tough with a manual wheelchair. But you need the nice big back wheels that a manual chair has or else you're just asking for trouble.

I do usually use the elevators but every now and then you see a cool escalator and you feel like being a rebel. :rotfl2:

Absolutely :thumbsup2

Things like this make me wish there was more regulation on using these difficult pieces of machinery. Someone inexperienced or just unable to use these can hurt themselves just as much as someone who might have trouble driving a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter