Science Majors in the DCP?

DisneySam30

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

I have just recently discovered that the college program even existed and I would love to be apart of it. The only problem is that I am a biology major and I don't think that I could take the time off to do the program without falling behind by a few years. Also, doing the program after I graduate isn't an option either because I will need to go to grad school right after graduating my undergrad. I was wondering if anyone who was pursuing a science degree have done the program and can share their experience.

I'm a ~science (using the term loosely bc reasons)~ major and I don't know why it would drop you a few years. Unless you extend, you would only be losing one semester of school, which depending on what your school offers, could be made up in the summer.

Hi, just popping in here and let me just say I have never been a CP and was not in the sciences in college, but I'm guessing I have a couple decades more "life experience" (lol) than many of the people in this forum. Just wanted to say...and I'm not at all trying to be condescending, but really, although it may seem like it due to your age and what everyone else is doing, you don't HAVE to go to grad school right away, even if you're going to med school or to get a PhD in a science field. You have your whole life ahead of you. Taking a semester or year off to work may be a great thing for you, I worked full time right after college and started grad school part time (while I continued to work full time) a year and a half after I graduated. Fast forward 20+ years and even though my life may not be what my 22-yr old self pictured, it's a good life and I've used my graduate degree in my career.

Just my two cents. Wish they had the CP when I was in college...or maybe they did and I just didn't know it existed.

My son got his degree in Horticulture. He did the Professional Intern program and was hired full time after he completed that. One of his friends has her degree in Mechanical Engineering and did the CP first, then PI. She is currently working for a contractor in hopes of getting full time with Disney (at their suggestion).

My DD is a math/STEM major. She did the DCP her junior year fall semester. She chose not to take online classes and just enjoyed the experience. Her university was easy to work with and they held her scholarships and classified absence as an internship. She is graduating one semester late this December but has no regrets at all. She is actually applying for the spring program before beginning heR teaching career.

Hi! I have a science related major! In the previous two times I have applied I thought that might be why I didn't make it to a phone interview, but I just applied for Spring Advantage 2017 and got a phone interview. My major is kinesiology. I hope this helps you!

It depends on your college. If you are at a smaller school that only offers course on a 2 or 4 year rotation then yes you could be putting yourself in a rough situation. If that is not the case and the classes you need to graduate are offered every semester then really you are only putting yourself 1 semster behind. I know many who took online classes for things like math, English, history, or whatever base curriculum classes their college required.

I agree with the PP as well who said their is actually no reason you couldn't do it after your undergrad and take a year off before grad school. My college no matter what your degree actually suggested everyone (that includes premed, law students, theater, dance, etc) take at least a semester off from school after graduation and either get an internship or just a job in our field. The reason was due to burn out. If you never take a moment to pause you can get burned out pretty quickly especially if you are going into a field like medicine or law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter