Sci-Fi or 50s PT??

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by kels*angels, May 4, 2007.

1. kels*angels

kels*angels Earning My Ears

Which restaurant do you personally prefer?? Why??
    Trying to make my decision between the two.
    I have 3 girls, ages...4, 5 and 11. What would they like better?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ModestMouse

ModestMouse Mouseketeer

I like 50s Prime Time. I liked the comfort food (they have good meat loaf) along with the cocktails with that 50s flair. Our kids (DS7 and DS4) were tickled by the retro TV shows that played on the old TVs.

Also, our waitress made fun of my hat hair when I took off my baseball cap, told me to keep my elbows off the table, told me it was a good thing the kids looked like my DW and not me, and told me to eat my vegetables. It was all done in a fun and cute way and my sons LOVED it. (I did too, she was hilarious!--and gave us great service) That might not be for everyone but we can laugh at ourselves. She probably played the mom bit up more because I was laughing along with her.

We look forward to going there again.

4. wdwthreethiels

wdwthreethiels Mouseketeer

50's Prime Time is always a must for us, the atmoshpere and the food are always great
    Sci-fi - we went once and never returned, the menu's are very different, the food was great too.
    I would suggest looking at the menus on allears, may also help you decide.
    As for atmosphere, I would guess that your girls would enjoy the "fun" at 50's Prime Time, there is a bunch of interaction with CM's. We did not expereince any interaction at Sci-fi - probably why we don't go.
    Michelle in NY, 5 days til the World, be at 50's Prime Time first night :woohoo:

5. dkostel

dkostel DIS Veteran

I'd say as an adult, I like 50's more, because I can remember some of the TV shows (from reruns) and some of the decor was still in my fam's 70s kitchen. However, I think the Sci Fi has the best themeing of any restaurant. I haven't seen a kid that wasn't impressed with the indoor drive-in theater.
    Foodwise, 50 is a little better, but SciFi is good enough.
    My 12 yo niece would pick sci fi.

6. boomhauer

boomhauer When the world gets in my face, I say - Have A Nic

The food at both is sub-par. I would eat lunch at Sci Fi, and go to 50's for a milkshake.

7. WETWHISTLE

WETWHISTLE Mouseketeer

I liked the 50's Prime Time Cafe better, but my DF liked Sci Fi Drive-In better. I guess I liked the Sci Fi food better, but I liked the 50's PT experience the best.

We did 1 for lunch, and the other for dinner. We were able to do this since we went to Universal Studios one day. So we could use 2 TS meals in 1 day.

8. kels*angels

Thanks for the helpful responses!
    If i go to one of them for just a milkshake or desert...so I still need to make a ADR??

9. darlak

darlak <font color=darkorchid>By the way, if my children

We've eaten at both and thought the food was pretty good at each...not great, but pretty good. One thing you migh want to consider is that the seating at Sc-Fi is usually in a "car" (you can get a table, but the experience just isn't the same that way). You could possible put all three girls in the front seat if they're small enough, and you and DH in the back seat. However, our kids were bigger the last time we ate there and the 3 in a seat thing was way cramped! Both restaurants have great themes. If you've never eaten at either restaurant, I would say that the most "don't wanna miss it" experience is at 50's Prime Time. Either way, have fun!

10. kels*angels

11. xWishes

xWishes Future Minnie Mouse

For kids I think they would appreciate Sci Fi more because of the huge movie screen and the cars. People usually complain about sci fi but I loooooove the atmosphere so much I don't think about anything else! and i doubt kids will either.

I doubt kids would really appreciate the atmosphere in 50 prime time cuz it's waaaay beyond them (not that I should talk, I just turned 21 haha) but the waiters are funny and fun!

I usually go to sci fi for lunch and 50s prime time for dinner. I'll always do both!
    :goodvibes

12. Ron_G

Ron_G Earning My Ears

We've been to both & places & enjoyed each for seperate reasons.
    Sci-Fi is simply the coolest for atmoshere & that initial "wow" factor.
    50's was alot of fun interacting with the wait staff, the experience changes though if your server doesn't really get into the role.

13. RllngRckBrw

RllngRckBrw DIS Veteran

I have neot yet been to 50s (we have an ADR for late May) but the sci fi was cool as far as atmosphere but had only avg food. I would definitely go there again, so I dont think you would be dissaponted with it if your expectations for the food is not real high.

14. ModestMouse

ModestMouse Mouseketeer

I guess we had a different experience at 50s. Our food was quite good, and we're rather picky about food quality at WDW.

15. ModestMouse

ModestMouse Mouseketeer

16. Cookie Princess

Cookie Princess DIS Veteran

The food is much better at 50's PT, but DS is 11 and loves the atmosphere at Sci-Fi. We usually end up eating at both. You can't beat the PB&J milkshake at the PT!!

17. Tiffer

Tiffer DIS Veteran

My kids LOVE Sci Fi. See pic in siggie below.

I am not a fan. I think the food stinks. The 50's food is not bad. I prefer it anyday. It is great if you get a table that has a tv.

18. Piglets Mommy

Piglets Mommy <font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color

We've been to both and love both. i liked the food a bit better at 50's PTC, but Sci-fi was good too. Make sure that you reserve a car when you make your ADR for Sci-fi, otherwise skip it...just not the same experience. Also if your 4yr old is afraid of the dark skip it. We weren't thinking and our daughter who was 2 at the time screamed the entire time b/c it was too dark. We wound up taking turns in the hallway with her while DS ate.

19. pinkerbell

pinkerbell FREE DDP 06, 07, 08, 09 & 10!!

Is it the darkness that had our 3 and 1 year old screaming! The worst time of our trip because they were just not into it, so maybe that is why my vote would be for 50's, which we really enjoy, and I like to see my food..we also enjoy the interaction with the staff. In sci fi, the "movies" became redundant, too dark, it just didn't have a disney feel for us..

20. milmore104

milmore104 My DH is "Dusty Boots"

Your kids might enjoy Sci-Fi a bit more than 50's. But if you really get into the whole elbows on the table and clean plate club @ 50's they would have a ball there as well. Both are a MUST do for our trips. We have a 6yo DD and she loves them both. But always comments on sitting in the cars. Have a great trip!

21. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found