Schwans Food

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by DisneyFan32WI, May 27, 2010.

1. DisneyFan32WI

DisneyFan32WI Grumpy Cat

I have recently been ordering from Schwans, and I just want to say that they have some really, really good food! The yellow truck would stop at just about all the houses in my subdivision, so I was feeling left out. I placed an online order, and that was how it all started! Some of my faves include:

1. Cheddar & herb biscuits
    2. Mozzarella sticks
    3. Strawberry supreme low-fat frozen yogurt
    4. Mixed berry frozen yogurt

What are some of your favorite items? Anything to stay away from?

I love finding new things like this!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. bas71873

bas71873 DIS Veteran

I'm curious. Is it budget friendly? Might be a good summer option when I don't feel like cooking, but need a quick dinner????

4. WeLoveToyStory

WeLoveToyStory Mouseketeer

My hubby works for Schwan's (retail side), but he gets a discount for home delivery. His parents who are getting up there in years have him order stuff for them all the time since it's convenient and easy for them to fix. His mom always tells us to add in a few things of whatever we want. Here's our favs:

*Scalloped potatoes
    *Popcorn shrimp
    *Chocolate chip cookie icecream sandwiches (Yum!)
    *Daughter likes the cheeseburger, although they are nothing great IMO

MIL said the chicken quesadilles and enchiladas (sp?) are really good too.

5. Anjelica

Anjelica Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Hmmm...I do like the garlic/butter bread.

We've been doing Schwans for about 6 or so years now. I don't get all their variations of food (mostly no-meat products as we buy 1/4 of a cow each year, etc.) but I find their frozen veggies to be some of the freshest (for frozen) and best tasting vegetables I have ever had/served.

6. Topper

Topper The One True Duck

Pepper bacon. It'll make your toes curl!

7. Perditamarie

Perditamarie DIS Veteran

Here are some of our faves:

* shrimp scampi
    * cheese breadsticks
    * Heath bar ice cream
    * microwave green beans
    * cream cheese micro pretzels

I also think they are expensive, so we are cutting back!

8. ceecee

ceecee DIS Veteran

Not that budget friendly and if I didn't order every time the guy got an attitude and told me he didn't want to waste his time if I wasn't planning on ordering every time. I told him not to come back!

9. Justsyd2

Justsyd2 I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said th

I've been ordering for the past year but I just recently stopped because I could do better at the local grocery stores through price and calories and additives. I do really like the Cheddar and Herb Biscuits, though! :lmao:

10. Butler_chic07

Butler_chic07 Mouseketeer

My mom used to order a few things from Schwans when I was younger. My brother LOVED their lemon pepper chicken. And he is a pretty picky eater. They do have some really good food. :)

11. vsimeone

vsimeone <font color=deeppink>I am the Queen Thread Killer

We don't order much. I don't think it's a bargain but it's convenient and good! I like:

Key Lime Pie
    Chicken Pot Pies
    Lemon Italian Ice
    and DS LOVES their boneless, chicken wings.

12. cirquelovers

cirquelovers Mouseketeer

I agree with the chese biscuits and we like the mini strawberry paletta bars, so creamy and not many calories! The potato wedges were really good too! We also like some of the specialty ice creams. I really enjoyed the cinnamon this winter and husband has loved the raspberry ribbon with raspberry filled chocolates in it:thumbsup2

It is expensive but we don't get a lot from them and the paletta bars are woth it!

13. 4Pirates&APrincess

4Pirates&APrincess Mouseketeer

It has been years since I have ordered from them. With my family (especially having all boys besides me) it is too expensive. Everyone seems to really like the cheddar buscuits, I make the ones that have the recipe on the back of the bisquick box and my family LOVES them. I have to make a double batch! They are very good and pretty cheap to make. ;)

14. webprinter

webprinter DIS Veteran

Most of the ice cream novelties, five cheese garlic bread, lemon pepper chicken, most of the chicken items, natural casing weiners, frozen pizza,
    French baguette bread, quik tators, french fries, chocolate chip cookies, and my absolute favorite, Turtle Dessert for One.:goodvibes

15. Tiana

Tiana Mouseketeer

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  16. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Gee, this thread reminded me... I ordered something from Schwan's when they were having some type of promotional offer - there was some type of code to get something free, I think, or really, really reduced. That was back in, let me think... August. I'm still waiting...

17. vegasnative

vegasnative DIS Veteran

My mom used to order from them when I was younger and I LOVED their Peppermint ice cream at Christmastime. :thumbsup2 I see their truck in my neighborhood all the time, but it seems like when I checked into it it was expensive. :confused:

18. karliebug

karliebug DIS Veteran

I like the quality of their food but thought they were much too expensive. The ice cream is good but almost six dollars for a container that isn't even a half gallon. I just couldn't justify the cost.

19. Familyof4lovesDW

Familyof4lovesDW DIS Veteran

My parents have ordered from them I would say for over 20 years. DH's parents order from them as well.

These our some of our favorites:
    Chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches (as a PP mentioned these are great, but average a dollar a piece)
    Double fudge brownie yogert (something like that, close second to the choc chip ice cream sandwich)
    Breaded chicken strips (we get these everytime they come)
    Heath/Toffee Ice cream bars (brown popsicles as DD calls them)
    DH got one of the individual lasanga things from his mom, he said it was goo to take for lunch
    Roasted chicken breast halves are good too
    I think the cheddar bisquits are okay, my aunt gets them quite often
    RIP old chicken patties, they were the best. They changed the recipie and they are not as good now.
    They have lots of other good things I probably did not mention.

It is their portion/serving that they list on their food that I find funny. A serving is 2 chicken strips :confused3 Maybe for a kid or a half of roasted chicken. DH was still hungry after he ate a whole one lol.

20. musicmama

musicmama Now an Irish Dancer's mama

Hooked because they're just so darn easy to use.
    Lots of the veggies (carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, veggie mixes), pierogies. Pasta and brown rice packs. Single chicken breasts because they're packaged singly and easy to use. And the pre-cooked, so all you have to do is microwave them, Angus steak burgers that really are good!

Luckily, my guy is OK with my slightly inconstant schedule - he calls if I haven't placed on online order (which I love).

Yes, it's a little pricey, but it saves trips to the grocery store and saves time (which I think is way more valuable).

21. momandkidslovedisney

momandkidslovedisney DIS Veteran

I don't order from them for this very reason... :confused3 A lot of the stuff they sell isn't healthy! And I am not a health nut, I just feel that I can make smarter shoices at the grocery store.