School trip - WDW

Aust

DIS Veteran
My 13 year old bought home a note today for a school trip to space camp in Alabama, plus 2 days in WDW - I think I'm more excited than her! She's been to DL 2 times but never to WDW. I know 2 days there is hardly time to see anything but they'll have fun. And she gets home on 13th September, then we are off to DL on the 19th (I only told the kids about DL today). All very exciting, puts more pressure on the savings budget, but it will be great for her.

How awesome, Aust. That's a great trip for your DD. Pity you can't go as chaperone!! :)

How is your school involved in space camp? I wish my daughters school would do it.

It's the first time the school has taken students to space camp (at the US Space and Rocket Centre) - the gifted and talented teacher found out about it somehow and thoug it would be a great opportunity for the kids, so off they are going this year.

Have since found out WDW is just one day, at Epcot. We haven't been to WDW but of course being a Disboards addict I know about Fastpass plus and all that stuff - am thinking I need to ask the teachers if they have some kind of tour thing organised for the kids (do they even do that at WDW??) or if they are going to set them loose for the day, if so my daughter wants a touring plan so any advice on one day in Epcot is appreciated!

I would love to go along but between my husband being away at the same time, work and our DL trip it's not going to happen! So many parents have volunteered to go along, I think they'll end up with too many adults. My sister wishes she could volunteer, space camp was her childhood dream (and WDW is one of her adult dreams)

@Aust What sort of things does your daughter like to see?

World Showcase only opens at 11 am; so if the kids get to Epcot at opening, they can go check out Future World first.
For Future World:
  • You will need to decide your Tier 1 FP+. Usually, it's a toss up between Test Track and Soarin'. I love both rides; although I will pick TT over Soarin' any day. If she has been on Soarin' in California Adventure, its the identical ride to the one at DLR.
  • For the Tier 2 FP+, it'll be a choice between Mission:Space, Turtle Talk with Crush and Spaceship Earth. You could always pick the Character Spot; if you wanted to Meet and Greet the characters.

Assuming that she has picked TT for the FP+, she might want to head towards Soarin' at rope drop. If she's picked Soarin', then I would head towards TT. TT does have a single rider queue. The only thing is that with the single rider queue, she won't be able to design her own car. It's kinda cool for kids to be able to do that so she may want to experience the full version; rather than the lesser version that the single rider queue will give her.

From Soarin', she could get on Living with the Land, if it appeals to her. I suspect that LwtL may not be something that she would want to do. In which case, I would head towards The Seas with Nemo and Friends. If she's picked Turtle Talk with Crush, you might want to pick an early time for this one and get the Nemo ride and TTwC out of the way.

There is an attraction in Innoventions called Sum of All Thrills. I quite like this attraction; and you might want to google it to see whether it is something that your DD might like. If it is, I would try and do it early in the morning.

It then comes down to whether she wants to do SpaceShip Earth or not. If she's picked this as a FP+, then head back towards the entrance and do it. Whether this ride is worth a FP or not is debatable. It's one of those iconic rides that people want to do because you go inside the golf ball. I have seen it both with large queues and also as walk-on. It depends on the time of year and the time of day. As it's right by the entrance, most people would get in line when they walk in. You might find that it is walk-on later in the day.

If she's then picked TT as her Tier 1 FP+, I would be looking at booking in a time that allows her to walk from The Seas to this part of Future World. It does take longer to walk Epcot than you think because it is a HUGE park.
From TT, you could head towards Spaceship Earth.

There are a couple more attractions at Future World. These are Ellen's Energy Adventure, Journey Into Imagination with Figment and Captain Eo. I leave it to your DD to decide if these are attractions she might want to see.

World Showcase opens at 11 am. And there are 11 pavilions here to hit. She just has to decide whether she wants to head towards Canada and walk round or head towards Mexico and walk round. At each pavilion, there will be at least one "attraction", shops and dining options. A lot of the time, the "attractions" involve sitting down to watch a pretty old movie. The shopping can be quite decent as the merchandise represents the country of origin. My son likes the Mutsokushi departmental store at Japan. They all look spectacular, and will have food options from the various countries. She may want to take a look at the meet and greet schedule and work out if she wants to get a picture with the various characters. For example, Mary Poppins and Alice can be found at England; Jasmine and Aladdin at Morocco, Mulan at China. My foodie sweet treat favourites are the Boulangerie and the Gelataria place at France; Kuche Karamel at Germany.

Quick service Food wise, I like Sunshine Seasons (in the Land building where Soarin' is), Yorkshire Fish at Chips at England, Tangerine Cafe at Morocco. I also like the food at Mexico.

Illuminations is a pretty decent night time show that happens right in the middle of the World Showcase lagoon. If she has the opportunity, it is worth staying to see it.

Hope she has a great trip and that the school lets them run loose!

@Aust What sort of things does your daughter like to see?

World Showcase only opens at 11 am; so if the kids get to Epcot at opening, they can go check out Future World first.
For Future World:
  • You will need to decide your Tier 1 FP+. Usually, it's a toss up between Test Track and Soarin'. I love both rides; although I will pick TT over Soarin' any day. If she has been on Soarin' in California Adventure, its the identical ride to the one at DLR.
PIO, thank you, you've just made my day! We cancelled our Soarin' FP+ as the warnings suggested that Crazy Cat Boy would get motion sick and did TT instead (this is an awesome ride BTW) and as it doesn't have a single rider and the line was super long I didn't get to ride at Epcot and I was bummed that I'd missed out on something special. But, I've done the one in California, so now I can relax about it! LOL

Thanks for the detailed response! Do you need your ticket to book FP+ before arrival? I know there are kiosks there and if you're staying on site you can do it ahead of time, but how do you do it ahead of time when staying off site?

Thanks for the detailed response! Do you need your ticket to book FP+ before arrival? I know there are kiosks there and if you're staying on site you can do it ahead of time, but how do you do it ahead of time when staying off site?
I think it's 30 days for off-site. You will need to have an account on My Disney Experience, and a ticket linked to the account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter