Scented Candles in the rooms?

TheGoofster

Old Foggie
This might be a dumb question, but is it possible (allowed) to use a scented candle in any of the hotel rooms? My wife loves those things, and I think she would be thrilled to find that it is possible to use them on our vacation.

Someone else may have a disney specific experience but I often travel with candles. They are even in closable tins and marketed as travel candles. Have never had a problem with any hotel.
As long as you don't set the place on fire I can't imagine they'd have a problem with it. :)

We brought a Glade scented candle with us on every trip, it gives the room a nice smell and when using the same kind at home later, it reminds you of your trip, which can be both good and bad ;) Depends on how far out your next planned trip is! For us unfortunatley it's a little less then a year from now!

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised. I really would have thought that it was a simple "NO" you can't. Although I suppose that it is no different than someone smoking in their room. Anyway, this is great, I'm not going to tell my wife about it until we actually get there, and then have some of her favorite scents ready to go. :thumbsup2
Thanks so much for the info!!!

I love candles and the scent of them and the mood of calmness they can create. But gosh, the thought of the fact that people are burning them in hotel rooms kind of scares me...
I'm sure that the vast majority of people are very responsible and would take caution with them, but it would only take one mishap...
It is really something that can't be allowed or not, there is really no way to police that. So I know that all the Dis'ers will be responsible ;) let's just hope that the rest of the folks out there would be as well!

<"But gosh, the thought of the fact that people are burning them in hotel rooms kind of scares me..."<

If you think about it, though, it really is a lot safer than people smoking in their rooms. Whereas when people smoke, if they fall asleep with the cigarette still lit, there is nothing keeping the ashes from falling onto a combustable material. At least candles are usually surrounded by a glass that will extinguish any flame that runs it's course.
Unfortunately there are irresponsable people no matter where you go, but I think that a candle (at least one in a glass holder) is a lot less worrisome than a lit cigarette.

We never leave home without our travel candle. We treat it just like a candle in our house; it's blown out before going to bed or leaving the room at any time.

If you don't want to light a candle, buy an electric candle warmer, a glass votive holder and either your favorite votives or tarts. Just plug it in and your all set. No flame to worry about. We did this on our last trip and it worked out great.

As long as you don't get a scent that makes another guest ill. That could be a problem, especially if you have a room that connects to another room.

Sorry to be the dissenting voice, but as a parent of a child who suffers from allergies and an asthma sufferer, I'd appreciate no candles burnt in hotel rooms. The scent really does linger, just like strong perfume and can cause severe reactions. We have to ask for our room to be cleaned specifically for allergies (bedspreads changed, blankets & pillows changed & an air cleaner run in the room for quite some time) and often still have issues.

I realize the world is out there and we have to live in it, just thought I'd throw another opinion into the ring.

Enjoy your trip no matter what you do. :)

welovedis said:
We have to ask for our room to be cleaned specifically for allergies (bedspreads changed, blankets & pillows changed & an air cleaner run in the room for quite some time) and often still have issues.

I realize the world is out there and we have to live in it, just thought I'd throw another opinion into the ring.

Enjoy your trip no matter what you do. :)

Why would you have to have all the bedding changed - they don't wash the pillows (or even the bedspreads all that much) so they're just exchanging them for other ones that have been exposed to allergens as well. You'd be better off shipping down a box of acceptable bedding from your own home, I'd think, if your child's allergies are that severe. That's what I'd do, anyways!

Schmeck said:
Why would you have to have all the bedding changed - they don't wash the pillows (or even the bedspreads all that much) so they're just exchanging them for other ones that have been exposed to allergens as well. You'd be better off shipping down a box of acceptable bedding from your own home, I'd think, if your child's allergies are that severe. That's what I'd do, anyways!

All the bedding is exchanged for freshy washed/cleaned/or new items that are sealed until they are brought into the room-I've seen it for myself that the items are sealed and cleaned or new (pillows). We do bring our own zippered pillow covers and send down a set of allergy proof mattress/springs encasings that envelope the entire mattress & spring set--they arrive at WDW a couple of days before we do so the Housekeeping/Maintenance dept can put them on our bedding the day we arrive.

They also will clean the drapes, if really necessary, and they do clean the room thoroughly before we are allowed in.

That's great that they can find new pillows for your room - we tend to bring our own (when we drive down) because I've got some minor allergies, and I think my oldest daughter is developing them too.

Have you tried the 'personal size' air purifiers/filters? You wear them around your neck, and they run on batteries. That could help eliminate some reactions as well, I would think. A friend of mine had one that she would wear when she went out, as many odors and allergens triggered a reaction.

I also love candles! Another suggestion though, a plug in diffuser. You drop your favorite aromatherapy oil in and then plug it into the wall. I used that in my delivery room at the hospital since candles weren't permitted. Everyone commented how wonderful room smelled :goodvibes

Important safety tip here.................... Do not blow out or extinguish your candle on the table directly underneath the smoke detector! Hehehehehehehehe. Trust me on this one. Nothing like a loud piercing sound of it going off when the smoke made it up to the detector.

Schmeck said:
That's great that they can find new pillows for your room - we tend to bring our own (when we drive down) because I've got some minor allergies, and I think my oldest daughter is developing them too.

Have you tried the 'personal size' air purifiers/filters? You wear them around your neck, and they run on batteries. That could help eliminate some reactions as well, I would think. A friend of mine had one that she would wear when she went out, as many odors and allergens triggered a reaction.

We have tried one, my son is also autistic and goes thru stages where the device is fine, and other times he cannot stand the noise (soundless to me!) it makes. :)

We fly down so it would be tough to bring our own pillows, but wish we could!

Just got back from GF. Was told no candles in room. I am not sure if this varies by resort or is world wide. :cool1:

We always bring a small jar candle when we travel. Sometimes the room has a 'funny' smell. Plus we just enjoy the scent and the atmosphere the candle creates..We have never been told not to light a candle in a hotel room. We leave the jar out in plain site and it is obvious it is a candle.
Pack that candle she likes and she will be so impressed that you thought of that for her.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter