Scared...November free dining crowds

NJMomto2

Mouseketeer

I am worried that although I picked the lowest predicted crowd week with Chrsitmas decorations, that the free dining crowds will be unbearable. Caribbean Beach is 100% full the week of Nov 15th :(

Make me feel better please...are you worried? Any strategies?

I'm worried too. With ADRs almost impossible to get, it certainly seems like a very busy time to be going.

I'm worried too. With ADRs almost impossible to get, it certainly seems like a very busy time to be going.
agreed...what is happening??? I have never ever visited at a time when ADR's were so difficult to find

Free dining simply makes the restaurants and resorts full. It has little impact on the park crowds though. We are normally visiting in October and free dining is usually going on. I don't think we've ever waited longer than 25 minutes for a ride/attraction with the exception of newer popular rides like Toy Story Midway Mania and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

I have the same thoughts. We are going 13th to the 22nd and the dining made and hotel availability made us nervous. Not looking forward to booking FP+ (actually I am but just to see if I can get everything we want). But we got the reservations we wanted and a vacation is WDW is still better than a week at work, crowds or no crowds.

We stayed at Pop last year, November 12-20, 2014, with free dining. We had some of the same concerns. But the crowd-planning sites are VERY aware of free dining and many other factors, and it's already incorporated into the crowd calendars. So don't worry too much.

Still, free dining does have some impacts. Here was our experience in some more detail:

1. We booked FP's at midnight, 60 days + our stay. There was less availability than we expected, especially since all our MK days were party nights, with a 7 pm closing. We couldn't even get Enchanted Tales with Belle on our first MK day, unless we booked for each person separately, which would have given us a 15 minute window (not a big deal - it's a fantastic experience with young kids, but doing it once a trip is great). We got Mine Train for our second MK day, and A&E for the last day of our stay. This scared us, but it ended up working out great with fastpasses.

2. ADRs were booked, even at less popular places, right at 180 days. Every character meal except a few spots at Tusker House stayed booked virtually the entire time. We saw a bunch of openings right at 60 days (even stuff like Crystal Palace at 8:05 am), but people scarfed them up quickly, and then there were a lot of openings a day or two in advance. We had a brunch booked at Ohana, 180 days out, and we actually dropped it and picked up a better ADR time, two days in advance.

3. Pop was "almost completely booked," according to our CM when we checked in, but it honestly didn't seem that crowded, except when we walked past the cafeteria at breakfast. We brought our own breakfasts to rope drop, never ate lunch at the resort, and only did a couple of dinners at off-peak times, so the cafeteria crowds did not affect us at the resort.

4. We had one super-crowded park day, which was a Saturday at HS with morning EMH. Touring Plans and EasyWDW both had it as a "5", and it was least recommended by EasyWDW, but it fit our schedule. Touring Plans reported it as an "8" after the fact. Everything was mobbed, and TSMM was down for most of the day. I mean, even the Frozen play area had a 20-minute wait (to play in the fake snow for 10 minutes). In retrospect, we should not have gone to HS on a Saturday with EMH, and certainly not on a day that was least recommended by EasyWDW.

5. The other days were great, in terms of crowds. Rope drop was still hectic everywhere, and Peter Pan still had a 75-minute wait after lunch, but that is the reality of Disney World these days, every day of the year. (We would never wait in that 75-minute line, we just noticed it.) We had lots of walk-ons in the morning. One morning, we met Ariel as our third thing of the day, and we were only behind one family.

6. Party nights at MK are deceptively good from 5-7 pm. The park seems more crowded than earlier in the day, and it is not fun leaving the park when people are flooding in for the party, but the rides themselves are fairly empty from 5-7 pm. The posted waits were deceiving - Dumbo was posted at 10 minutes, but there were two kids playing in the entire tent, and you could get on the next ride whenever you wanted. Under the Sea was posted at 15 minutes, but it was literally a walk-on.

7. More than once, we waited longer for lunch, even eating at 11 am, than we did for any single ride on that day. We used rope drop, FP, and end-of-night for the rides with longer waits, so we only had two waits of 20 minutes or more the entire trip (weirdly, Astro Orbitor and meeting Mickey and Minnie in AK with a FP..). But in the park QS restaurants, so many people had free dining, and they took forever to order, asking what desserts and drinks qualified, etc. The worst example - it took us 40 minutes between entering Pecos Bill and getting our food, and 30 minutes of that was the line to order.

8. 4th and 5th FPs were largely not worth it, with a few exceptions. This was a combination of lack of availability, due to the early closing hours of many parks, and the generally low crowds, which meant lines were short. On various days, we used 4th/5th/6th FPs for Dumbo, Star Tours, and Seas with Nemo when they were walk-ons, anyway. But we did get additional FPs for Everest, Winnie the Pooh, and Buzz Lightyear that were very useful.

9. There were always big crowds for the buses to and from Pop, but buses came frequently, and we never failed to squeeze onto the first bus that arrived.

We have gone the last 3 years in November. The only day we had unbearable crowds was Veteran's Day in MK. We love going in November. The dining plan does cause ADRs to fill up since it won't cost people any more to use them. But we have never had a problem doing all of the things we wanted to do. We are going for a fourth time this November. This is the first fall trip where we will be staying on property, so it is the first time we will actually have the free dining plan. There are a lot of people who plan trips bc of the free dining and also a lot of international people. Most kids will be in school. The crowds really are very manageable. Have fun!

I am worried that although I picked the lowest predicted crowd week with Chrsitmas decorations, that the free dining crowds will be unbearable. Caribbean Beach is 100% full the week of Nov 15th :(

Make me feel better please...are you worried? Any strategies?

You'll be fine. Definitely a moderate crowd level but certainly more than doable. We've gone during free dining in November - as well as December -many times and it's been great. Go and have fun! :santa:

We went last year in October and stayed at Caribbean Beach - we were informed at check-in the resort was at 100% capacity. But that resort is so big it doesn't feel like it at all, anywhere. I stayed up and did my FP+ as soon as my window opened and I got everything I wanted. We also got every ADR we wanted too, even morning BBB. Have a Plan A, B and C and book as soon as you can. :)

We stayed at Pop last year, November 12-20, 2014, with free dining. We had some of the same concerns. But the crowd-planning sites are VERY aware of free dining and many other factors, and it's already incorporated into the crowd calendars. So don't worry too much.

Still, free dining does have some impacts. Here was our experience in some more detail:

1. We booked FP's at midnight, 60 days + our stay. There was less availability than we expected, especially since all our MK days were party nights, with a 7 pm closing. We couldn't even get Enchanted Tales with Belle on our first MK day, unless we booked for each person separately, which would have given us a 15 minute window (not a big deal - it's a fantastic experience with young kids, but doing it once a trip is great). We got Mine Train for our second MK day, and A&E for the last day of our stay. This scared us, but it ended up working out great with fastpasses.

2. ADRs were booked, even at less popular places, right at 180 days. Every character meal except a few spots at Tusker House stayed booked virtually the entire time. We saw a bunch of openings right at 60 days (even stuff like Crystal Palace at 8:05 am), but people scarfed them up quickly, and then there were a lot of openings a day or two in advance. We had a brunch booked at Ohana, 180 days out, and we actually dropped it and picked up a better ADR time, two days in advance.

3. Pop was "almost completely booked," according to our CM when we checked in, but it honestly didn't seem that crowded, except when we walked past the cafeteria at breakfast. We brought our own breakfasts to rope drop, never ate lunch at the resort, and only did a couple of dinners at off-peak times, so the cafeteria crowds did not affect us at the resort.

4. We had one super-crowded park day, which was a Saturday at HS with morning EMH. Touring Plans and EasyWDW both had it as a "5", and it was least recommended by EasyWDW, but it fit our schedule. Touring Plans reported it as an "8" after the fact. Everything was mobbed, and TSMM was down for most of the day. I mean, even the Frozen play area had a 20-minute wait (to play in the fake snow for 10 minutes). In retrospect, we should not have gone to HS on a Saturday with EMH, and certainly not on a day that was least recommended by EasyWDW.

5. The other days were great, in terms of crowds. Rope drop was still hectic everywhere, and Peter Pan still had a 75-minute wait after lunch, but that is the reality of Disney World these days, every day of the year. (We would never wait in that 75-minute line, we just noticed it.) We had lots of walk-ons in the morning. One morning, we met Ariel as our third thing of the day, and we were only behind one family.

6. Party nights at MK are deceptively good from 5-7 pm. The park seems more crowded than earlier in the day, and it is not fun leaving the park when people are flooding in for the party, but the rides themselves are fairly empty from 5-7 pm. The posted waits were deceiving - Dumbo was posted at 10 minutes, but there were two kids playing in the entire tent, and you could get on the next ride whenever you wanted. Under the Sea was posted at 15 minutes, but it was literally a walk-on.

7. More than once, we waited longer for lunch, even eating at 11 am, than we did for any single ride on that day. We used rope drop, FP, and end-of-night for the rides with longer waits, so we only had two waits of 20 minutes or more the entire trip (weirdly, Astro Orbitor and meeting Mickey and Minnie in AK with a FP..). But in the park QS restaurants, so many people had free dining, and they took forever to order, asking what desserts and drinks qualified, etc. The worst example - it took us 40 minutes between entering Pecos Bill and getting our food, and 30 minutes of that was the line to order.

8. 4th and 5th FPs were largely not worth it, with a few exceptions. This was a combination of lack of availability, due to the early closing hours of many parks, and the generally low crowds, which meant lines were short. On various days, we used 4th/5th/6th FPs for Dumbo, Star Tours, and Seas with Nemo when they were walk-ons, anyway. But we did get additional FPs for Everest, Winnie the Pooh, and Buzz Lightyear that were very useful.

9. There were always big crowds for the buses to and from Pop, but buses came frequently, and we never failed to squeeze onto the first bus that arrived.

Super helpful! Thanks this was a realistic review that gave me hope. I booked ADRs at 180 days out but still couldn't get BOG, CRT, or Akerhaus :(. Did get CP, coral reef, 1900 park fare, and a few others

I'm nervous too! It was busier last year in November than it was when we were there in 2012 and 2007. Fingers crossed....

following this, we are going the last week in October and best i can get is a Tusker House breakfast on a morning EMH day (which kind of defeats the purpose), a CP lunch on our last day, also got a Coral Reef. No BOG at all. Stalking got me an early Boma dinner. Not sure if it's worth the upcharge for TS dining plan or if we should just do QS. But reading that Pecos Bill story makes me wonder if QS would be worse

following this, we are going the last week in October and best i can get is a Tusker House breakfast on a morning EMH day (which kind of defeats the purpose), a CP lunch on our last day, also got a Coral Reef. No BOG at all. Stalking got me an early Boma dinner. Not sure if it's worth the upcharge for TS dining plan or if we should just do QS. But reading that Pecos Bill story makes me wonder if QS would be worse

The Dis family here is making me feel better but I share your nervous feeling still. We all just want a nice, peaceful experience on vacation with our kids while having some fun. With all the rumors of price increases and stopping discounts like free dining, I am surely not canceling as it may be the last time I can afford to go :):charac2::oops:
:disrocks::tinker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter