Say Good Bye to Maelstrom....A 'Frozen' Ride is Definite

mmmm wonder if the whole pavilion would be ice themed or just the ride part? Considering how slow Disney builds anything I could see at least a yr or more under construction. By then the hype over ice just might be a little dulled by then. Oh by then they also might want to rename world showcase make believe world showcase. One less ride for me to enjoy and ride.

I guess if the government of Norway actually gave a crap about their pavilion they would have stepped up and given Disney the money they wanted for updating it. Instead they've let it go (insert song here). If Maelstrom turns into a carnival ride filled with talking snowmen, don't blame Disney, blame Norway.

This rumor is not the first the pass this way. Nor shall it be the last.

watching_avengers_i_understood_a_gif_reference-88347.gif

Sorry, had to there. :thumbsup2

I'm not a fan of Frozen. At all. Saw it once and just...no. Not my thing at all. LOVED Hans only because I love Santino Fontana (I'm a theater nerd and Santino does theater). I prefer Brave, Tangled and the like to it, that may just be me though. :confused3 But that's the beauty of life. Not everyone has to like the same thing.

Norway DOES need a fixed up ride but still a Norway ride. A Frozen ride anywhere else would be better than Norway. Maybe DHS? That needs another ride, maybe use one of the old sound stages? A Frozen ride just doesn't fit in with the ideals of Epcot. DHS (which needs more attractions, I think? It always seems a little sparse while looking at the map) or even MK would be a better choice. Maelstrom's one of my favorite rides in Epcot (call me lame, but I'm a nerd and proud of it) and I'd be truly heartbroken if they got rid of it :sad:

I guess if the government of Norway actually gave a crap about their pavilion they would have stepped up and given Disney the money they wanted for updating it. Instead they've let it go (insert song here). If Maelstrom turns into a carnival ride filled with talking snowmen, don't blame Disney, blame Norway.
Wow, this logic makes me dizzy with all of the spin. Nations now have to pay money to keep their pavilions from being taken over and if they don't give in they are somehow to blame for Disney's decisions? Look out France and Germany! :rolleyes:

Sorry if this sounds too personal, but that is ridiculous. Whether or not someone else is providing funding, the decision of what to do with the attraction is Disney's. I understand that the nations providing funding were given some creative input on what "their" pavilion should be. But at the end of the day, Disney is not giving them carte blanche.

And why do they need external corporate funding in the first place? I thought this multi-billion dollar corporation was enjoying record attendance figures and profits. Oh, that's right. They put all of that money into MM/MB/FP+.

Could Maelstrom be updated? Sure. But, to be honest, there are other places in EPCOT that need attention much more desperately. Do a little triage and stop the hemorrhaging at Future World before putting a band aid on WS.

I love Maelstrom as it is, but I can see how adding Frozen characters could enhance it if done right. But whatever Disney decides to do with the ride, the blame (or credit as the case may be) lies at their own feet. They shouldn't need external funding to maintain their park. And, assuming that Norway DID continue to fund it, don't you think Disney would be striking a deal with them to incorporate Frozen anyway?

I did my FP+ this morning (for Oct 21-31)and Maelstrom was missing from the list, although it's not on the official closure/refurb schedule. Anyone with Maelstrom FPs had them cancelled from early October?

Personally, I'd just prefer a refurb. If they rebuild something new, Frozen themed, it'll probably take 3-4 years based on past performance :rolleyes2

I remember years ago being UPROARIOUSLY ANGRYFACE when Disney announced that The Living Seas pavilion was to receive a complete overhaul and become "The Seas with Nemo and Friends." I posted long upset posts on these boards, the whole nine yards.

Today, I still go and enjoy it. And while there's a tiny part if me that misses the hydrolators... Honestly, it hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the pavilion, the park, or WDW as a whole.

If the Maelstrom becomes Frozen, that's fine. I don't love the idea, but I also know that in the long run, it's not going to change anything for me. I'll still go and enjoy, and throw my money into my happy place. :)

It's also worth suggesting that if a Frozen ride was ALREADY now operating in place of Maelstrom, it would be so overrun with guests that it would be THE impossible-to-get FP+ in all of Epcot, if not all of WDW.

There's no way to gauge the exact extent of the long-term popularity of Frozen, or exactly how "loyal" the kids (and others) who simply L-O-V-E everything (EVERYTHING) about it, but with the inevitable pending sequels(s) and the way that we humans relate to our childhood favorites well into adulthood…
I think Disney will have a few more years finding Frozen fans to lure to the parks.

I've been reading a lot of sites and blogs and there are claims that Norway has tried to create a new movie but Disney has rejected that. Also, Norway has tried to get companies involved but they've had a tough time. I don't buy into all of this but I suspect that we don't know the whole truth from any perspective and likely never will.

I've been reading a lot of sites and blogs and there are claims that Norway has tried to create a new movie but Disney has rejected that. Also, Norway has tried to get companies involved but they've had a tough time. I don't buy into all of this but
I suspect that we don't know the whole truth from any perspective and likely never will.

Yup.

The mysteries of why Disney does what Disney does.

Like why Disney stopped operating the Wonders of Life pavilion after they lost the corporate sponsor… but continue(d) to operate other WDW attractions long after their corporate sponsor(s) have dropped out.

I didn't like the Three Caballeros update to the ride in Mexico. We skip it on most trips. While I really loved the movie, Frozen, I doubt that adding it to Maelstrom will be an improvement. I enjoy riding it every trip but I have a feeling that adding some characters will change that for me...so sad. Not to mention that once they add Anna and Elsa, it will be a mad dash for most and the lines will become unreasonably long. World Showcase is our break from the craziness of the other parks...it is our leisurely strolling day. I would prefer less characters and more authentic culture. I love going from country to country...eating, drinking and soaking up the atmosphere.

I have nothing against a Frozen ride. But I would much prefer to see a NEW ride added, instead of just once again giving a current ride a facelift. Disney could always use MORE rides, not just replacements.

I did my FP+ this morning (for Oct 21-31)and Maelstrom was missing from the list, although it's not on the official closure/refurb schedule. Anyone with Maelstrom FPs had them cancelled from early October?

I was also unable to book Maelstrom for my Oct. 19-24 trip. That plus the crush of rumors all but verifies it for me. It's going to happen. I just wonder how long it will take them, and if it will be an entire pavilion overhaul or just the ride.

I will miss Maelstrom and it's throwback cheesiness. Sad that my trip is too late to experience it the "old" way one last time.

I was pretty disappointed that the movie wasn't operating the last time I went last October. I am going to miss all the skiing, scary jump cuts, and Norwegian festival scenes from that.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I don't think a Frozen ride will take over...

Yes, I know that the Mexico ride has Donald BUT, at least the ride is still a celebration of Mexico and Mexican culture.

A Frozen ride would completely eliminate the pavilion celebrating the country and for that reason alone I don't think Frozen is replacing Maelstrom.

Would Norway, the sponsor of the pavilion, allow it? Maybe. But I sure as heck hope not.

I also don't believe a word anyone says until the company announces it... sorry, but I remember when people were CONVINCED Cars Land was being announced LIKE TOMORROW!!! and of course, that hasn't happened (yet).

Unless you're Bob Iger or an Imagineer working on the project directly, you just don't know.

Oh no worries everyone... Disney will probably just give the boats a paint job, put a hat on the troll, and change the sign to Frozstrom.

Blame Norway? That was a serious suggestion??

It's DISNEY'S PARK. Disney...the company turning record profits...needs s sponsor to build a friggin' ride?? I call shenanigans. It's DISNEY'S PARK, and they can well afford to build and maintain their own darn park without extorting....err...charity from foreign countries or any corporate entities.

Disney needs to add capacity...not facelift current attractions. The parks are bursting at the seams with guests. Give them someplace to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter