Say Bye-Bye To The iasw Goodbyes

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by WEDWDW, Jan 22, 2013.

1. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Hmm. My comment was no more condescending and rude as your (unwritten) assumption that those of us who forsee problems are simply picking an opinion out of thin air, with no previous experience to base it on.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rebeccaariel

rebeccaariel DIS Veteran

There's a huge difference between foreseeing legitimate problems and outlining those, as many did, and claiming it won't work without any evidence, which is something others did. I was taking issue with the latter, not the former, in my original post. I never personally attacked anyone, whereas you made it personal when you unnecessarily brought my age into the discussion. That was inappropriate and unfair,

4. Polydweller

Polydweller DIS Veteran

It was messed with decades ago. I saw it first at the 1964 World's Fair and it was different then. The closest representation is at Disneyland and the WDW is a copy adapted to the space.

I don't mind them changing rides, the parks were always meant to change and never be finished. I only get concerned when the make a big mistake such as the Imagination Pavillion at Epcot and don't fix that.

5. DeluxePrincess

DeluxePrincess DIS Veteran

Yes, what fun is it if your family can't be Homer, Marge, Lisa, and Bart? :lmao:;)

6. figmentedpixie

figmentedpixie Earning My Ears

Is it sad that I read this and was like "but then we can pretend Mr. Toad's still exists"

7. anniemck

anniemck DIS Veteran

This was my first thought also. I loved that the first time we went to Universal, they called my daughter Maggie, her name is Megan and we always called her Maggie for short, but specifically said Megan when we told the cast member.

8. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

I see people wondering about butchered names but where does it say anything about the ride talking to you?

9. mom2rtk

mom2rtk DIS Veteran

My daughter Katie's first question was "They aren't going to call me Catherine, are they?" because I always register with our legal names. She gets enough of that at school already from teachers.

10. meliss8599

meliss8599 DIS Veteran

Me, too. I honestly teared up when I read that they weren't coming back. I loved seeing languages my parents speak up there and pointing them out to my daughter.

I agree. I'd hate to see them gone for good.

What a cute idea! I thankfully have a beautiful picture of them also.

11. MickeyMinnieMom

MickeyMinnieMom If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

That's what I figured as well. Guess we may see soon... :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

12. stindall

stindall Congress Tart

must have looked over this post, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Why else would they take away all the signs?

13. Sweettears

Sweettears 50 years of Disney and counting

I'm holding back judgment on this. The ending to HM went dark for awhile. Can anyone seriously say that the changes they made there were not an improvement? No RFID but they got the idea right.

14. DeaverTex

DeaverTex Native Texan who's ready to go back to Disney!

I assumed that the ride was going to talk for one reason: That's the first thing that came to mind as I read through the link. I guess I'm not the only one making that assumption, though. Putting your name up on a sign would also work, and it would get around the problem of pronunciation. (I've seen names that you would NEVER say it right from just seeing the name printed.)

If it takes your name from your on-file data -- by getting the link from the RFID chip -- then I don't see that it will call you anything but the exact name that you put down when you bought your ticket. I don't think anyone asks for any nickname. I suppose that could be added, though. Something like, "What would you like Mickey and his friends to call you?"

However, the idea of personalized (meaning by-name?) greeting is supposed to show up elsewhere besides IASW, isn't it? I feel SO sorry for the poor CMs trying to say some of the names I've seen. I remember how badly some of my old teachers would mangle names, and those were mostly basic, traditional, American English names. What about Japanese? Korean? Farsi? :scared:

15. mesaboy2

mesaboy2 DIS Veteran

You make an excellent point--thanks!

16. SmallWorld71

SmallWorld71 DIS Veteran

LOL I had the exact same thought.:rotfl:

Not sure how I feel about this one. IASW has been my favorite ride since the 70's. :scared:
    This is one where I think I will just have to wait and see.

17. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

Yes, without a moment's hesitation I can say that they weren't an improvement.

18. DisNikki

DisNikki Mouseketeer

I'm kind of sad to see at change and honestly a little creeped out that a ride will know my name. :) But my kids will think it's magic!

I guess I better go back and read those RFID threads...it sounds like the switch is closer than I thought! I'd heard February for one resort's guests to switch but thought the rollout might be gradual. If a ride is changing, though, I guess it will be faster. Off to read the threads I've been ignoring.... ;)

19. Crystal824

Crystal824 DIS Veteran

I think it is really cool. I took from the article that you name will appear as in print not that it will be said. Who knows? I have always thought that feature in the ET ride at US where ET says your name is very cool. I like this idea too.

20. JDUCKY

JDUCKY Local Yocal

FWIW, rode IASW today and the goodbye signs are there. No sign (no pun intended!) of any type of work going on at all.

21. MickeyMinnieMom

MickeyMinnieMom If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Just saw this... http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/10714