Save a Table with a Water Bottle??!! Are you serious?

All right, you guys are makin me nervous. I have sailed 3 RCCL ships, and a Princess. I never recall a problem on the RCCL ships at the buffet area with exception of our last on Liberty of the Seas at embarkation. Our last cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess, and every morning I struggled to find a place to eat. Twice, the only table I could find was a 6 top. I begrudgingly took a seat, but kept my eyes peeled for families looking to share. Magic is a smaller ship, with I'm assuming less passengers. But these posts are making it sound like I'm going to run into crowds each day. As a rule, it's just me for breakfast, everyone else likes to sleep in, so I always get my food, and then my table. Please advise!

I would not worry about it. We went during Christmas which was a full ship. The only time we had a problem was the first day for lunch. We had to go all the way down to the goofy pool before we found a table. We had breakfast every morning at Topsiders and it was a group of nine of us - no problem finding tables. We may not have always had tables next to each other, but tables were always found.

Well, we must dine at the worst times I suppose. We enjoyed eating breakfast at whatever restaurant was open and never had a problem getting a table (sometimes sharing, but that was finetoo - always great to meet new friends :goodvibes ). Lunch at Topsiders however was a frequent problem - very few tables available and we would have to circle around quite a bit and sometimes took our trays ourside of the area just to sit down. :confused3

Great point. :thumbsup2 How do you tell the difference?
Sometimes, you won't know. Then, the issue becomes how you will handle it when the person returns to their seat and you are in it. In my opinion, a classy person will explain the mistake and vacate the seat.

This actually reminds me of a lunchtime visit that I made to a pizza buffet a while back. I got my food and found my table, but I couldn't find any cheese shakers. I finally spotted one on a table that was full of dirty dishes. Thinking that the people had left, I took the cheese shaker. A few minutes later, they returned with yet another plate o' pizza. I went over, explained my error, and gave them their cheese shaker back.

I guess I don't see the big deal about saving a table in that manner- obviously I am in the minority. How is that different than any other item? If there was somthing on the table I would have taken another table. What if they had other plates there and the server cleared them while they were in line again-this is a possibility, so I would not have taken a chance. Saving a table is saving-whether one of you sits there, or whether someone's personal item is there.

Last cruise I had been sitting in a lounge chair most of the day. I left my towel and book there while I went to get a drink-I came back and some family had taken over my chair-the father was sitting on my book. when I pointed out it was my chair, he gave me the book back because now his whole family was there. Just because I did not have anyone else with me did not change the fact that i had been using the chair. Not to be rude, but because you had a child with you does not make a difference in my opinion. My mother is handicapped and if someone has the row in front of where the wheelchairs go in the theater I do not feel entitled to those spaces. I guess everyone has a different perception and I may get flamed for disagreeing with the majority here.

We have often wandered around looking for a table. They do not have enough seating there when it is a busy cruise.

I agree that there are times when there is not enough seating in Topsiders and around the pool area. It's actually more of a problem around the kid pools because the servers promptly clean the tables at Topsiders.

Thoughts--if you're not using the pool (or watching kids), deck 10 is usually deserted. If you're lucky enough to have a balcony, that's another lovely place to take your tray....

I am amazed there has been so much response over somone saving a table with a water bottle and a navigator. I don't see the problem. Some people need to chill a little. Paxil works wonders for me!!!

Linda

I agree that there are times when there is not enough seating in Topsiders and around the pool area. It's actually more of a problem around the kid pools because the servers promptly clean the tables at Topsiders.

Thoughts--if you're not using the pool (or watching kids), deck 10 is usually deserted. If you're lucky enough to have a balcony, that's another lovely place to take your tray....

Deck 10 is my favorite place to be! :banana:

I agree that I think the polite way *which is exactly what we do* is have someone from the family stay and wait for the others to come back. We are a family of 4 and usually my husband and my son go while my daughter and I wait or just the opposite.

It's actually against the rules to save chairs with a towel on DCL. If you see one with a towel on it, you should feel free to take it.

I totally plan on doing just that if need be!!

Kat

Rude! Someone should stay at the table and someone should go to the buffet and then switch.

It wouldn't hardly be the end of the discussion. Opinions are a funny thing. I don't consider setting personal items down on a table and expecting them to still be there when I return a few minutes later with a tray of food to be rude, at all. However, I do think that it would be rude for someone to move my belongings and then be snarky when I return to the table with my food.

Just FYI from Websters:
snarky
1 : crotchety , snappish 2 : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner

Please re-read my post for clarification.

Just FYI from Websters:
snarky
1 : crotchety , snappish 2 : sarcastic, impertinent, or irreverent in tone or manner

Please re-read my post for clarification.
I reread your post and still feel that my reply was appropriate, including this bit that you snipped:
Also, I believe that when people are left with taking the position that they don't care that they have upset others as long as they got their way, as in your example, they are aware that they did something that was less than appropriate.

I don't even mind people leaving personal belongings on a table to save it. I do think it should be something that obviously belongs to someone and not something that could be mistaken for trash left behind.
To me, a half finished water and Navigator doesn't make it clear whether the owner is coming or going. Now a bag or jacket, that's obvious that someone would return for it and is using it to save the table.
I would respect that but still dh and I take turns going to the buffet, each of us taking 1 child. No big deal.

These posts are making me laugh. Good for the guy with the water bottle...he had the foresight to save his seat and then go get his food so he wasn't wandering aimlessly with his tray full of food. I would learn from him, and do the same next time. Same for the people in the theater - if I want the prime spot, I better get my butt down there early so I can have a good spot. I think a lot of these angry posts stem from people who just didn't think far enough ahead and they got burned, and they're jealous someone beat them to the punch!

And trust me, if I save my lounge chair with a book or towel or bag, and am gone to check on my kids or to get a drink, and I find some new person shows up and just moves my stuff...well, someone's going overboard.

We are also a family who leaves an adult with the two little kids while the other adult and older kids go get food, then we switch. You mind your business and I'll mind mine, and we will all be happy! :dance3:

This whole discussion is a little disheartening to me. I guess I just had this preconceived notion that this cruise is going to be fantastic. Sounds like it is SO crowded that you can't even get a table or a lounge chair? Gee, sounds like this cruise is going to be about as fun as Disneyland on a busy day...Boo!!

This whole discussion is a little disheartening to me. I guess I just had this preconceived notion that this cruise is going to be fantastic. Sounds like it is SO crowded that you can't even get a table or a lounge chair? Gee, sounds like this cruise is going to be about as fun as Disneyland on a busy day...Boo!!

Sometimes, people go off on tangents that really dont need to be brought up. The dinner tables, on the other hand, are not THAT bad. If I see something on a table, ask a CM! Be polite, its a water bottle.

Moving someone's personal belongings is stupid you could get punched in the mouth for doing something like that. I once read on cruise critic were someone did just that on another cruise line and a big fist fight broke out. Who wants that on a cruise, talk about ruining your vacation just because you are mad about a stupid chair. I go on a cruise to have fun, it seems some people have this attitude that they are going to start something because they think they are in the right. You may be right but it does not give you the right to touch other peoples things. Most times it will do nothing but ruin your cruise. That's sad. :sad1:

Sometimes, people go off on tangents that really dont need to be brought up. The dinner tables, on the other hand, are not THAT bad. If I see something on a table, ask a CM! Be polite, its a water bottle.

Very well said.

Moving someone's personal belongings is stupid you could get punched in the mouth for doing something like that. I once read on cruise critic were someone did just that on another cruise line and a big fist fight broke out. Who wants that on a cruise, talk about ruining your vacation just because you are mad about a stupid chair. I go on a cruise to have fun, it seems some people have this attitude that they are going to start something because they think they are in the right. You may be right but it does not give you the right to touch other peoples things. Most times it will do nothing but ruin your cruise. That's sad. :sad1:

So who was in the wrong the person who moved someone's belongings or the person who starts a fist fight because someone moved their belongings?

Personally IMO it's rude to "reserve" a chair/table/etc with a personal item and not come back within a certain time frame. It is also rude to remove someone belongings if they are obviously personal in nature.

A navigator and a 1/2 full water bottle? IMO I'd move that after a few minutes with no one showing up. Someone's shirt, towel, and perhaps a book left poolside? Definately a no move scenario IMO.

So who was in the wrong the person who moved someone's belongings or the person who starts a fist fight because someone moved their belongings?

Personally IMO it's rude to "reserve" a chair/table/etc with a personal item and not come back within a certain time frame. It is also rude to remove someone belongings if they are obviously personal in nature.

A navigator and a 1/2 full water bottle? IMO I'd move that after a few minutes with no one showing up. Someone's shirt, towel, and perhaps a book left poolside? Definately a no move scenario IMO.

If you ask me they were both stupid for acting like children. touching someones things is wrong, putting your hands on someone is wrong. I'm just letting you know what could happen and what has happen in the past. We live in a scary world today, better be careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter