Sarilas' O-fficial Pre-Trip Report (a.k.a. Vacation, Take TWO!) - Jan. 30-Feb. 8, '09

Yes yes yes, to dining plan. We're 90% sure we're even going to go so far as to do the DELUXE dining plan. We know it's a lot of food and what not, but with two kids aged 3 and 1, we're going to need cool, calm places to stuff them to their gills before setting them loose on the parks again. (And nobody said we had to eat ALL of it!) So we're figuring that if we have TS ADR's at least two times a day (most will be three), we'll be forced to maintain a sense of calmness and structure... We hope. We'll use a couple of ADR's for Cindy's Table and maybe California Grill... that'll open up some leisurely breakfast times we hope.

But damn I wish I knew when the EMH were!

Also, is there any way to find the hours from last January? I don't think they change too much from year to year, and that might help a little.

I wondered about that; I figured there was some method to their EMH madness but I didn't know if it was worth researching this year's hours to go by...

What dates are you going in January? When is your 180 day call date? July 1st (which I guess is tomorrow) or a couple of days after that, they should post their January hours and EMHs.

In the meantime this is what I would do...decide how many days you want to spend in each park and make a list of where you want to eat each day in the parks. For example:

Magic Kingdom: Breakfast, Cinderella's Castle; lunch, Crystal Palace; dinner, Liberty Tree Tavern.

Then, when hours are released, you can just plug in everything to the appropriate day.

Does that make sense?

Okay. Let me preface this with you know what's best for your family, and if they need a nice place to recharge the batteries, then by all means...the only thing I worry about is that the deluxe plan is sooooooo much food. I wouldn't worry about missing things because you have to make it to a particular ADR because January is generally a slow time of year, very easy to walk on to things...at least it was the last time I was there in January.:goodvibes

I know for me, even with free dining, I had a really hard time scheduling us this year. With a larger family, you may want more structure, but our style of touring when we're not with my mom, nana, and father in law, is fly by the seat of our pants. Part of me wishes I didn't have those ADRs to contend with, but I'm glad I get to enjoy some restaurants I wouldn't normally plan.

What dates are you going in January? When is your 180 day call date? July 1st (which I guess is tomorrow) or a couple of days after that, they should post their January hours and EMHs.

In the meantime this is what I would do...decide how many days you want to spend in each park and make a list of where you want to eat each day in the parks. For example:

Magic Kingdom: Breakfast, Cinderella's Castle; lunch, Crystal Palace; dinner, Liberty Tree Tavern.

Then, when hours are released, you can just plug in everything to the appropriate day.

Does that make sense?

Oh wait - the hours come out in JULY? I was under the impression they wouldn't be out till August! Holy carp, if they're out in July I can get it figured out no problem! (I say no problem but that just means only six or seven ADR changes between now and then.) ;)

We're going to be there 7 days (8 nights) and most of our time will be at MK and Epcot. I'm going to cross my fingers that they do release the hours before our 180 day mark (which is July 15!)... that would be FAB.

Okay. Let me preface this with you know what's best for your family, and if they need a nice place to recharge the batteries, then by all means...the only thing I worry about is that the deluxe plan is sooooooo much food. I wouldn't worry about missing things because you have to make it to a particular ADR because January is generally a slow time of year, very easy to walk on to things...at least it was the last time I was there in January.:goodvibes

I know for me, even with free dining, I had a really hard time scheduling us this year. With a larger family, you may want more structure, but our style of touring when we're not with my mom, nana, and father in law, is fly by the seat of our pants. Part of me wishes I didn't have those ADRs to contend with, but I'm glad I get to enjoy some restaurants I wouldn't normally plan.

I worry about the time constraints too. I love the idea of all the TS restaurants, but I struggle with wondering if we'll feel rushed, even though we're going at the slowest time of year and with 7 days to see everything... I'm usually VERY fly by the seat of my pants. :confused3

We're going in January, too! And I might just be even more excited than you:woohoo: . Our dates are the 21st-28th (after MLK weekend but before the Super Bowl). I DON'T HAVE A TRIP BINDER OR A BULLETIN BOARD YET!!! I have been wondering if they'll have January's hours out tomorrow or not as well, I need to get my itinerary going for ADR day...or 3-4 days before my ADR day;) . I, too, went back and forth about resorts about 16 times, but finalized AKV through DVC, so no more changing, period. I did really good with our flights, too. My DH thought I was crazy to be looking at airfare 8 months early, but it paid off. I checked the price today and it's gone up $80 per person and were still 7 months out!:scared1: BTW-my DH is a graphic designer, too! Looking forward to trying to keep up with your planning!

I worry about the time constraints too. I love the idea of all the TS restaurants, but I struggle with wondering if we'll feel rushed, even though we're going at the slowest time of year and with 7 days to see everything... I'm usually VERY fly by the seat of my pants. :confused3

My suggestion would be to make a list of restaurants you'd really, really like to try. Try to go with your gut first. Then you can put them in order, maybe run them by hubby or kids if you're feeling generous.;)

I think making a list, as LL would say, will help!:goodvibes

We're going in January, too! And I might just be even more excited than you:woohoo: . Our dates are the 21st-28th (after MLK weekend but before the Super Bowl). I DON'T HAVE A TRIP BINDER OR A BULLETIN BOARD YET!!!

Dude, we're going to miss you by just a couple of days! We'll be there the 11th through the 18th! (We'll be using MLK Day as our recovery and get back to reality day, LOL)

And get thee to an office supply store, stat, woman! :rotfl:

I have been wondering if they'll have January's hours out tomorrow or not as well, I need to get my itinerary going for ADR day...or 3-4 days before my ADR day;) . I, too, went back and forth about resorts about 16 times, but finalized AKV through DVC, so no more changing, period. I did really good with our flights, too. My DH thought I was crazy to be looking at airfare 8 months early, but it paid off. I checked the price today and it's gone up $80 per person and were still 7 months out!:scared1: BTW-my DH is a graphic designer, too! Looking forward to trying to keep up with your planning!

I'm glad you found good flights - everything from Nashville is CRAZY expensive for this many people, so we're planning on driving BUT, if Southwest or someone has a fantabulous fare surprise for last minute flyers we may go for it! And how cool that your DH is a graphic designer too! I'm glad you found my PTR!

My suggestion would be to make a list of restaurants you'd really, really like to try. Try to go with your gut first. Then you can put them in order, maybe run them by hubby or kids if you're feeling generous.;)

I think making a list, as LL would say, will help!:goodvibes

In honor of the blissfully wedded LL, I will do the unheard of and make a... <gasp> ...LIST. :scared1:

Oh yeah, thanks for the tip about the arrow on the subscribed threads list, too. I had been thinking just today that there must be a way...:thumbsup2

Oh wait - the hours come out in JULY? I was under the impression they wouldn't be out till August! Holy carp, if they're out in July I can get it figured out no problem! (I say no problem but that just means only six or seven ADR changes between now and then.) ;)

We're going to be there 7 days (8 nights) and most of our time will be at MK and Epcot. I'm going to cross my fingers that they do release the hours before our 180 day mark (which is July 15!)... that would be FAB.

They typically put out the hours six months in advance so that people can schedule their ADRs.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

So, I'm kind of stressing over our ADR's. (There's a shocker, eh?) I'm in a quandry about how to organize them. The schedule of hours for next year isn't out for a while, so I can't use it to choose parks by Magic Hours or anything. How on earth do you schedule your ADR's to something reasonably attainable? I mean, I know I'll call and try to get Cinderella's Table and Le Cellier first thing, but let's ASSUME (work with me here) that they have openings on different days; do I try to keep all the MK restaurants in one day, and the Epcot restaurants on another? Or do I get bold and crazy and just schedule as it comes, hopping on buses all around the World? Decisions, decisions...

Which leads me to today's lessons, girls and girls. (I don't think I have any boys reading, but if you're out there let yourself be known!) I stumbled across a blog today as I was searching for other people's experiences at DW recently. Only this was NOT what I'd expected. Now, I want to preface this by chicken-heartedly saying I hope this young woman isn't on the DIS, and in fact I'd wager she isn't based on the mistakes she made that even I as a first time visitor would know better than just by reading here...

That being said, I give you this poor woman's Disney World saga. Prepare to do the following, often: :sad2: and :scared1: and :eek: and :confused: and :confused3 and :scared:

It's pretty much my idea of how NOT to visit WDW. She could have SO benefited from the DIS.
Well hello and yes I read here and yes I still made mistakes on the vacation, as you clearly read.
Until you travel with an 18 month old, a 2 year old, a 5 year old and an 86 year old, who winds up with congestive heart failure and spends the last days of vacation in the hospital, making an already stressful situation even more stressful, don't figure all should go just perfect!
It was very difficult to organize a trip for 5 adults and 3 children when I was the only one doing any planning/research/etc. Yes, I made my share of mistakes but I think those mistakes would not have been so bad if the stress level hadn't been so high and that just could not have been foreseen.

Now, all this being said, no I'm not upset or mad about having people being pointed in the direction of my blog. I blog to share experiences and so the more who read, the merrier.

Now, all this being said, no I'm not upset or mad about having people being pointed in the direction of my blog. I blog to share experiences and so the more who read, the merrier.

Well hi to you, too! I DO know the stress of planning for that many - in fact I have myself, my husband, our four children (12, 9, 2 and 1) and my 74 year old disabled father who all live with us. Up until last year I also had my sainted mother who passed from pancreatic cancer just after my youngest was born. And I'm the only planner as well. Which is WHY your blog was so interesting to me to begin with! The things you wrote in all your honesty helped to reinforce what I want to over-organize for this trip - God knows they're never perfect but your trip sounds like what our trip to Dollywood was in May! NOT fun. That's why this is our "vacation, take two". After all that happened to us then we wanted to go another route and reading your blog reminded me SO much of that trip!

Well hi to you, too! I DO know the stress of planning for that many - in fact I have myself, my husband, our four children (12, 9, 2 and 1) and my 74 year old disabled father who all live with us. Up until last year I also had my sainted mother who passed from pancreatic cancer just after my youngest was born. And I'm the only planner as well. Which is WHY your blog was so interesting to me to begin with! The things you wrote in all your honesty helped to reinforce what I want to over-organize for this trip - God knows they're never perfect but your trip sounds like what our trip to Dollywood was in May! NOT fun. That's why this is our "vacation, take two". After all that happened to us then we wanted to go another route and reading your blog reminded me SO much of that trip!

It was a very expensive lesson learned. Heck, I had been to WDW 3 times prior but I went with a group who either were never there or hadn't been there in over 25 years (my mom and grandma)
I didn't want to over plan because there was NO WAY I wanted to have to constantly try and keep everyone on a strict schedule! I so want a do-over

It was a very expensive lesson learned. Heck, I had been to WDW 3 times prior but I went with a group who either were never there or hadn't been there in over 25 years (my mom and grandma)
I didn't want to over plan because there was NO WAY I wanted to have to constantly try and keep everyone on a strict schedule! I so want a do-over

You should have one! But I'd agree with your last blog post... just take your husband and your kids this time! LOL And put Le Cellier back at the top of your ADR list - you need a do-over on that meal, too!

Okay, not that I'm ANXIOUS or anything... but I checked Disney this morning and while the hours aren't posted yet, you CAN at least click into the January 2009 calendar! Sure it's blank, but you can GET THERE. That's progress!

Okay, not that I'm ANXIOUS or anything... but I checked Disney this morning and while the hours aren't posted yet, you CAN at least click into the January 2009 calendar! Sure it's blank, but you can GET THERE. That's progress!

Anytime now!!! They should definitely have them posted in plenty of time for you to plan your ADRs! :woohoo:

Anytime now!!! They should definitely have them posted in plenty of time for you to plan your ADRs! :woohoo:

I'm really NOT anxious or anything. :rolleyes1

I did as you suggested and found historical magic hours, and it looks pretty consistent. So unless they go crazy in '09 I have a pretty good idea of where we'll be each day, which is a relief!

In honor of the blissfully wedded LL, I will do the unheard of and make a... <gasp> ...LIST. :scared1:

:rotfl: She's rubbing off on us, LL is!

Well hello and yes I read here and yes I still made mistakes on the vacation, as you clearly read.
Until you travel with an 18 month old, a 2 year old, a 5 year old and an 86 year old, who winds up with congestive heart failure and spends the last days of vacation in the hospital, making an already stressful situation even more stressful, don't figure all should go just perfect!
It was very difficult to organize a trip for 5 adults and 3 children when I was the only one doing any planning/research/etc. Yes, I made my share of mistakes but I think those mistakes would not have been so bad if the stress level hadn't been so high and that just could not have been foreseen.

Haven't been able to read your blog post yet, but from the bit Sarilas mentioned, and your snippet here, I'm kinda intrigued. But I'm sorry that your trip wasn't, it seems, magical. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter