Saratoga Springs or BWV

Princess Merida

DIS Veteran
Hi, My husband and I are looking into purchasing resale and I have been looking at BWV as it is our favorite other than GFV, but cost is out of our price range for GFV. I have been researching and looking at listings and a Saratoga purchase would be smarter financially. We would get more points for less money for a longer time period. My question is how often are you able to book a different resort at the 7 month window? I have not stayed at Saratoga and would not be against doing so, but my husband loves BWV. How hard is it to get in there at 7 months out? We usually travel Sept-Nov and that will probably continue. Also, which use year would you all recommend for that travel time? Thanks...so many questions!!

Based on what I know, you need a BWV contract. The resorts near Epcot are very popular that time of year and you will most likely find difficulties in getting what you want.

I think the SEP is your ideal use year.

The hardest time to book BWV is during the Food & Wine festival (mid Sep through early Nov) and the first two weeks of December. If you want the best rooms at BWV (the lower-cost Standard View rooms or the Boardwalk View rooms) during that time, you need to own there and you need to book when your 11-month window opens. If you are happy with the pool or canal view rooms, you might get lucky right at 7 months out, especially if you would normally book a 1BR. If you want a studio, it could be very difficult. It might work out some years and not others.

If your normal travel dates are Sep-Nov, a September Use Year would be perfect. You want to choose a UY where your travel dates fall within the first 8 months of your UY since you can bank any leftover points (or returned points from a cancellation) during the first 8 months. If you used banked or borrowed points for a reservation you later cancelled, you could not rebank those points but you would have many months in which to use them for another reservation before they expired.

If you like a certain resort and you love to stay there then the only way to guarantee your stay is to buy there, period. Anywhere else and you are taking your chances along with the thousands of others who are trying to book at 7 months.

:earsboy: Bill

Last edited:

Buy where you want to stay and you won't be disappointed. September UY is ideal for you.

We bought at BWV this year and got our points loaded 8 months before our desired vacation week in Oct this year-at that time there was no avail for any category of studios for our week and only sporadic days for the whole month of October (no solid weeks avail in any category). Since all 2br at BWV are lock off that means they were also unavailable. I remember 1 br being a little better as far as avail but I still think there were days missing every week of Oct in all categories. Bottom line is that BWV and BC are extremely popular during f&w and many owners own there specifically for fall bookings. In addition renting has grown exponentially over the years and it seems that many BWV owners rent them during the fall for f&w bookings. If you only plan to travel in the fall you may not get BWV too often-if that's ok and you'd be happy with ssr buy ssr and save some $-if it's not I wouldn't spend all that money to be disappointed repeatedly or anxiously watching the RAT leading up to the 7 month window.

AUG Use Year will work just as well. With JUN also being workable for you.

If you are considering SSR for the value, have you considered a Vero Beach resale? Unless you are really looking to go during peak times or you have a tendency to book last minute I don't think you will have a problem getting into SSR regardless of where you buy. Looks like SSR resale is going for $90+ a point and Vero Beach is going for $50+ a point. That's a pretty big difference.

Also, I put a lot of time and thought into where I wanted to buy. We loved staying at the BWV but we would get the most out of our money buying something newer. We purchased at the AKV and are happy that we did. We stayed at the Boardwalk a lot when we first joined DVC. Then we were forced to check out another resort (AKV actually) and were really impressed. So now we try to check out a different resort every time we go. You will have DVC for a very, very long time. In my opinion I would try to get the most out of my investment. Even if you go to Disney and have to sacrifice and stay at SSR instead of BWV you will still have a fantastic time.

I am sure you have thought about this, but your annual dues are something to consider as well. Multiply your dues by the number of years you will own and see how much more they will be in the BWV as opposed to other resorts you are considering.

Regardless of where you chose I am sure you will be happy. DVC is one of the best decisions we have made. Good luck!

If you are considering SSR for the value, have you considered a Vero Beach resale? Unless you are really looking to go during peak times or you have a tendency to book last minute I don't think you will have a problem getting into SSR regardless of where you buy. Looks like SSR resale is going for $90+ a point and Vero Beach is going for $50+ a point. That's a pretty big difference.

Also, I put a lot of time and thought into where I wanted to buy. We loved staying at the BWV but we would get the most out of our money buying something newer. We purchased at the AKV and are happy that we did. We stayed at the Boardwalk a lot when we first joined DVC. Then we were forced to check out another resort (AKV actually) and were really impressed. So now we try to check out a different resort every time we go. You will have DVC for a very, very long time. In my opinion I would try to get the most out of my investment. Even if you go to Disney and have to sacrifice and stay at SSR instead of BWV you will still have a fantastic time.

I am sure you have thought about this, but your annual dues are something to consider as well. Multiply your dues by the number of years you will own and see how much more they will be in the BWV as opposed to other resorts you are considering.

Regardless of where you chose I am sure you will be happy. DVC is one of the best decisions we have made. Good luck!
Vero beach maintenance fees are about $4 per point more than SSR so it might be less up front but could cost you about the same down the road. Also vero beach is more susceptible to hurricane damage where fees could go even higher

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter