Sand and Sun ~ Trip Number Ten Was Lots of Fun! Clearwater Beach & YC, August 2013

Saturday, August 17:

We had an 11:30am flight out of Pittsburgh down to Tampa. Everything went very smooth and uneventful. Best kind of flight!

The kids had some pizza and cinnamon pretzels at 10:30am! :upsidedow

DisneyAugust2013002_zps82deb87f.jpg

DisneyAugust2013003_zpsfce704c8.jpg

DisneyAugust2013004_zps41f97f61.jpg

We arrived in Tampa a bit earlier than we were supposed to. We made our way to get our one checked bag. We waited less than 5 minutes before it came and we were outside and across the street to the car rental center. There were about 8-10 rental car companies there and of course ours was the only one with a line, Alamo. Each and every person seemed to have a problem. And by the time we got to the counter I could see it wasn't the customers fault, it was the employees. They were trying to hard sell you everything under the sun and when we declined it all they still tried to charge us $30 more than what we were booked at. :sad2: In the end we were charged the quoted price, but what a hassle. I bet we spent 30+ minutes there.

So we headed out to the parking garage and found the Alamo lady and she had to have them search for a standard SUV, like we had booked. Finally someone brought us a Volvo something or other and said it was an upgrade at no extra charge because they didn't have any standard SUV's left. We asked the lady how to get to the road we needed and she said to follow the parking garage to the third floor exit and it would take us right to that road. Our GSP of course could not get a signal in the parking garage and was thinking we were at our house in PA. :faint: Have I mentioned that I hate GPS's??? :mad: Luckily the Alamo lady knew what she was talking about and that exit lead right to many major roadways. Ours being one of them, so we were off!!

It was a nice, beautiful, scenic drive to Clearwater Beach.

DisneyAugust2013005_zpsf8ba76bc.jpg

DisneyAugust2013007_zps42a55b48.jpg

DisneyAugust2013008_zpsb2ab71a3.jpg

DisneyAugust2013009_zpsa9cdc73a.jpg

DisneyAugust2013010_zps22b68708.jpg

DisneyAugust2013011_zps75a56833.jpg

DisneyAugust2013012_zps700ca910.jpg

We arrived at our resort, the Sandpearl Resort, in about 30 minutes. We pulled up and the valet took the car and we wouldn't see it again until Monday when we headed to Disney. The bellman took our luggage. We went inside to check in. The resort was very big, beautiful, and elegant. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Our room was not ready. I wanted to just wait around and relax in the air conditioned lobby, but everyone else wanted to hit the streets, so we went out the front exit/entrance and I noticed that the scent of either the BC or the GF was being blown out there. Do they have the same scent?? I'm not sure which one it was, but I knew I definitely had smelled it before.

Lobby pics 

DisneyAugust2013020_zpsa1e5fa0c.jpg

DisneyAugust2013021_zps3388d6a6.jpg

DisneyAugust2013028_zps319ca053.jpg

We walked down the street and in some of the stores on the strip. It was HOT out. Extremely hot. Pretty soon my phone rang and the room was ready! So we headed back up the street and to the resort. We made our way to our room, 340. We had booked a Gulf Front room. Which was supposed to be on an upper floor with a direct view of the ocean. We were obviously on the third floor, and it was a real stretch to see the ocean. You could see it, but it was through a palm tree and the resort pool. I wanted to go down and complain, but decided to just live with it, because the room was nice and clean and READY! It's not like the view was terrible, it was quite beautiful. I just thought we would have a better view of the gulf.

DisneyAugust2013015_zps2a5d691a.jpg

DisneyAugust2013013_zps5202ef0a.jpg

DisneyAugust2013016_zps07adf3c0.jpg

DisneyAugust2013017_zpsaceb774b.jpg

DisneyAugust2013018_zpsbb2f64a5.jpg

DisneyAugust2013019_zpsb6e4dff1.jpg

Up Next: Off to the Pool and the Beach

That was a beautiful view even if the palm tree was in the way. To bad you weren't a few floors up.

What airline did you fly? That looked like an awfully small plane.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That was a beautiful view even if the palm tree was in the way. To bad you weren't a few floors up.

What airline did you fly? That looked like an awfully small plane.

Yeah, it was still very beaufitul, just wish we would have been on a higher floor.

We flew with AT. They have 2 seats on one side and 3 seats on the other side.

What a view! I'd take that view of a palm tree and the gulf in a distance over what I am looking at right now. :p The resort and room look so pretty!

The resort looks beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!

Views at the beach can be tricky. I've learned through many years of beach trips to call and ask very specific questions about the view. Here there is a BIG difference between 'ocean front' and 'ocean view'. I once booked an 'ocean front' and we were put on the first floor right in front of a sand dune that reached to the 3rd floor of the hotel. Needless to say, we didn't see the ocean at all. :sad2: I think you had a pretty good view though. Seems like it's the shape of the hotel that sort of put you a little farther away. Still really beautiful! :beach: I'd love to be there right now!

What a view! I'd take that view of a palm tree and the gulf in a distance over what I am looking at right now. :p The resort and room look so pretty!

The resort was very nice and the rooms had very high ceilings. Not really any bigger in size than a WDW room, but way higher ceilings.

The resort looks beautiful! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures!

Views at the beach can be tricky. I've learned through many years of beach trips to call and ask very specific questions about the view. Here there is a BIG difference between 'ocean front' and 'ocean view'. I once booked an 'ocean front' and we were put on the first floor right in front of a sand dune that reached to the 3rd floor of the hotel. Needless to say, we didn't see the ocean at all. :sad2: I think you had a pretty good view though. Seems like it's the shape of the hotel that sort of put you a little farther away. Still really beautiful! :beach: I'd love to be there right now!

I guess I'm a rookie on the beach stuff!! :rotfl: The thing was that a 'Gulf Front' was more expensive than a 'Gulf View'. So I thought I was getting the better of the two. And I think most of their Gulf Front rooms probably have super views, we just didn't get one of them. :upsidedow I did do the resort survey I received after we got home and I questioned my room category and got a response from the Manager that yes, room 340 is considered a Gulf Front room, it just has a palm tree between it and the ocean. Duh!! :crazy2:

Shelly, what is it with you and trees? :laughing: I seem to remember you having a tree messing with your view at the Poly one time! ;)

That being said, the resort looks beautiful and your view is still very nice. In my experience, Gulf Front is the best of the room categories, view-wise. The Gulf is actually in front of you. When it says Gulf View, that usually means you can see the water, but it may only be a partial view. (maybe a small glimpse if you stand on your tippy-toes and crane your neck :laughing:) I think being on the 3rd floor took away from your view a little, but it is still considered Gulf Front. Darn trees! :rolleyes:

I love the pics of your drive to Clearwater Beach. Every time we go to Florida, I love it when we finally see water! :woohoo: Boring interstate, and then you finally see what you came for - water and beaches!

The town of CB looks cute, too. Were there lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance?

That is too funny about the resort having the same smell as the GF or the BC! I wonder what it is they spray or use?

Shelly, what is it with you and trees? :laughing: I seem to remember you having a tree messing with your view at the Poly one time! ;)

That being said, the resort looks beautiful and your view is still very nice. In my experience, Gulf Front is the best of the room categories, view-wise. The Gulf is actually in front of you. When it says Gulf View, that usually means you can see the water, but it may only be a partial view. (maybe a small glimpse if you stand on your tippy-toes and crane your neck :laughing:) I think being on the 3rd floor took away from your view a little, but it is still considered Gulf Front. Darn trees! :rolleyes:

I love the pics of your drive to Clearwater Beach. Every time we go to Florida, I love it when we finally see water! :woohoo: Boring interstate, and then you finally see what you came for - water and beaches!

The town of CB looks cute, too. Were there lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance?

That is too funny about the resort having the same smell as the GF or the BC! I wonder what it is they spray or use?

I actually didn't mind the tree at the Poly. It didn't completely block anything, plus we had only paid for standard view! This one at the beach however was a bit annoying since we had paid for 'gulf front'. Maybe if we stood on the patio furniture we could have seen the gulf!! And that's what I told them in the survey. :rotfl:

It was a nice, beautiful drive to Clearwater. Much better than that ugly drive we had from WDW to Legoland that time!

There were lots of little shops and restaurants within a mile of us. We were up at the far end of the street (north) and everything was south of us.

The resorts have the scent machines. I know that was the same scent that is blown into either the GF or the BC!

I'm here to follow along with your trip report.

Welcome! :)

I'm here - a little late but I'm here! Your resort looks nice!

Welcome Sheree!! :cool1:

Hi!:wave2: I can't wait to read another trip report from you. :goodvibes Tampa is beautiful and your room looks amazing with that great view. OMGosh your oldest son has really grown up! Have a great time.:)

Hi!:wave2: I can't wait to read another trip report from you. :goodvibes Tampa is beautiful and your room looks amazing with that great view. OMGosh your oldest son has really grown up! Have a great time.:)

Welcome! :goodvibes Glad you are along for another TR! Hope you enjoy!!

Yep, the kids are growing up WAY too fast. DS14 looks and sounds like a man now. :eek:

We unpacked the bare necessities that we would need for the two days we would be there and then headed back out to get something to eat. We came across a place called Union Burger and it looked pretty neat so we went inside. I don't even remember what we had, but it was all very good! I remember the kids asking me if I wanted to take pics of their food before they ate it, but I said no, that I'd save that fun for Disney! :laughing:

DisneyAugust2013026_zps67127232.jpg

After we ate we went to the room and got changed into our swimsuits and headed out to the pool. We knew it was way too hot to go out on the beach in the direct afternoon sun, so that would have to wait until later. We found some great seats by the pool and enjoyed a few hours there. The pool was very nice, but DS12 wanted to know where the slide was! :upsidedow I said – honey, we're not at Disney yet!!

DisneyAugust2013023_zpse6bf35b4.jpg

DisneyAugust2013024_zps1ac1c583.jpg

DisneyAugust2013022_zps7e2c7317.jpg

DisneyAugust2013032_zpsbec59183.jpg

DisneyAugust2013038_zps604b622d.jpg

DisneyAugust2013039_zps1512b682.jpg

DisneyAugust2013041_zps1b95ce88.jpg

Looking back at the resort, from the pool.

DisneyAugust2013043_zpsd9eb0f00.jpg

Once the sun started to go down and the heat was a little more bearable we went up to the room and grabbed our beach supplies and went out. It was here – the kids were finally going to get to set foot in the ocean!! They had a blast!!

DisneyAugust2013044_zps2f724efb.jpg

DisneyAugust2013045_zpsf8bf2f42.jpg

DisneyAugust2013046_zpsed231058.jpg

DisneyAugust2013047_zpsca012f98.jpg

DisneyAugust2013049_zps88469db2.jpg

DisneyAugust2013050_zps071f5f07.jpg

DisneyAugust2013052_zpsfaf1f171.jpg

DisneyAugust2013053_zps5e3ebd59.jpg

DisneyAugust2013054_zpsb08cc4b2.jpg

Continued in next post....

Continued...

DisneyAugust2013055_zps7e3856fb.jpg

DisneyAugust2013057_zps497f98e9.jpg

DisneyAugust2013058_zps8406694b.jpg

DisneyAugust2013060_zps945f2b99.jpg

DisneyAugust2013061_zpse1aea1a4.jpg

DisneyAugust2013063_zps5a99b755.jpg

DisneyAugust2013064_zpsecce08e6.jpg

We stayed until it was so dark that we could barely see each other out there. Then we went up to the room and got changed and headed back to the strip of shops for some shopping and dessert.

DisneyAugust2013068_zpsa8d5c881.jpg

DisneyAugust2013065_zps66706b4e.jpg

DisneyAugust2013066_zps502c18ee.jpg

DisneyAugust2013067_zpsaf8459a3.jpg

And with that we called it a night.

Up Next: Morning on the Beach

I had to laugh about your DS asking if you wanted a pic of the food!! Lol that is so something my DS12 would say. I don't even write TR and I still take pics of food. :)
The resort pool looked gorgeous!
That's great you were in walking distance to places to eat. What a bonus! The best thing about the ocean in FL ( and the south) the water is so warm. It has to be really really HOT here for me to go in the ocean.... Bbbrrr

Shelly, you've trained the boys right....do we take pictures of the food before we eat? ;) The pictures of you guys on the beach are so good. I especially like the one of the three guys together.

I had to laugh about your DS asking if you wanted a pic of the food!! Lol that is so something my DS12 would say. I don't even write TR and I still take pics of food. :)
The resort pool looked gorgeous!
That's great you were in walking distance to places to eat. What a bonus! The best thing about the ocean in FL ( and the south) the water is so warm. It has to be really really HOT here for me to go in the ocean.... Bbbrrr

:laughing: I was about to take food pics, but then I thought - who cares what we ate at the beach?!! :rotfl:

Yeah, it was nice to be able to walk everywhere we needed to go.

The water was pretty warm. :)

Shelly, you've trained the boys right....do we take pictures of the food before we eat? ;) The pictures of you guys on the beach are so good. I especially like the one of the three guys together.

I know! :lmao:

Thanks! :goodvibes

That resort was beautiful!!!! I know the whole gulf front/view thing was a pain, though so it puts a huge damper on the whole thing.

I'm glad the boys were able to go out in the ocean for awhile with it not being so hot. However... thats prime time shark feeding!!! (Don't tell DS14!--) last week on the news in Orlando they said "New at 5, we have pictures of these predators (cue the tape sharks swimming in the shallow water) that have been lurking about all week. Details in a few minutes." And then I left the room. :faint: I thought about you guys swimming!!!!!:faint::faint::faint:

It looks like so much fun at the beach-- the strip there. And the pic with DS11 in the ice cream store---- what the heck was that lady doing that was behind the glass???? :rotfl::rotfl2:

I think I need to go to Clearwater-- it looks amazing!!!!::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter