San Jose to San Francisco???

tiggerwannabe

~Optimistic Realist~
If I flew into San Jose and needed transportation to San Francisco...besides a taxi or rental car...how could I get there???

This is our first time ever getting to visit California and we are touring San Francisco first but are finding airfare into San Jose to be alot cheaper...I am curious if the savings is worth it or if I should just suck it up and fly directly into SF~

TIA~TWB

I don't think there are any direct routes from San Jose to San Francisco.

You could take a taxi from the airport to the BART station in Fremont, but that could be pricey.

Or you could take a taxi from the airport to the Caltrain station in San Jose.

It's probably easiest to rent a car; the drive is about an hour and if you take 280N (rather than 101) it's a pretty easy drive.

If I flew into San Jose and needed transportation to San Francisco...besides a taxi or rental car...how could I get there???

This is our first time ever getting to visit California and we are touring San Francisco first but are finding airfare into San Jose to be alot cheaper...I am curious if the savings is worth it or if I should just suck it up and fly directly into SF~

TIA~TWB

It is an easy drive from San Jose to San Francisco, if you take the 880 freeway (toward Santa Cruz) to 280 north. If you are in the non commute time, should take you about an hour and a half driving.

I live in the Bay area and fly both from San Francisco and San Jose as both are about 30 miles from where I live.

Rental cars are easily available at San Jose. You just exit baggage claim and take a free rental bus to the car rental terminal.

Any other questions, please post.

:surfweb:

There is (or was) a "flight" from San Jose to San Francisco by bus....

I don't know how much extra this would cost

Ah.. Check out http://www.sjc.org/travelers/airporters.html

Looks like there are scheduled transfers for $15-20 Just make sure you allow enough time.

Personally, unless the flight is much more expensive, I would go directly - saves time and time is money...

--Kay

Thanks guys!

I appreciate all of your input~

We are staying in the heart of San Francisco and didn't want to have to rent a car til we head to San Jose and then Anaheim our third day into the trip.

We are not on a time schedule so the shuttle bus may work best. I am checking that out now.

I was also told about the BART or CALtran system, how far are those stations from SJ Airport?

The flight is IMO alot higher to fly into San Francisco...

I can fly into SJ for $129 per person or into SF for about $225 to $240 so a shuttle for $20 would be ok for us.

You can take the San Jose VTA system from the airport (there's a free bus from the Metro stop to the airport terminals), up to the ACE connection stop, then take ACE to the BART connection, and take BART over to SF. It might take a while, but I think it would work. Check http://www.vta.org for a starting point. Looks like the "Mountain View" train will take you to the ACE station.

I used the VTA while I was in SJ for the Champ Car race last summer. Returned my rental car the first day in SJ, then took the bus from the airport terminals back to the Metro stop and took the rail back to downtown SJ. Did the same in reverse with my luggage after the race on Sunday. It was super simple and very easy. I plan to use the system again this summer.

Thanks again everyone...I may have found a solution

I have a DIS friend that lives in San Jose that has just volunteered to drive us to San Francisco as long as we arrive early enough in the day :woohoo:

I am saving all the information you guys gave me, jic~

Thank you again!

colleen.TWB.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter