San Fransico Port

amandaroseziegler

Canadian Momma
We are doing the vancouver to los angeles cruise in september, are there beaches in san franciso close to the port to swim in?

amandaroseziegler said:
We are doing the vancouver to los angeles cruise in september, are there beaches in san franciso close to the port to swim in?

It's too cold to swim on the Pacific side.

If you do, rent a wetsuit or drive down to Santa Cruz or Capitola.

Blegh. Have you seen San Francisco bay? Once you've seen the Embarcadero, you will NOT want to swim in it. The seafood they sell by the Wharf is NOT from SF either.

The closest beach that people will surf in is Sunset Beach (with full on wetsuits, the water is murky and cold over there), and it takes 1.5 hours to take the bus there even though its probably a 20 minute drive.

So, nope.

Seriously, look at the bay water once you dock. You're lucky if you don't find some body parts in that bay. And watch out for the homeless people on the streets near the wharf. Most are harmless, but some are not. Also big tip, "water" on the sidewalks in SF is never water.... ;) And don't walk between cars which are paralleled parked. You will find "surprises." There are no public toilets. I'm not an SF hater, just an ex resident.

Not really. There's Baker Beach, but the undertow there is a killer, swimming is unsafe. And it on the other side of the city from the port.

lilpooh108 said:
Blegh. Have you seen San Francisco bay? Once you've seen the Embarcadero, you will NOT want to swim in it. The seafood they sell by the Wharf is NOT from SF either.

The closest beach that people will surf in is Sunset Beach (with full on wetsuits, the water is murky and cold over there), and it takes 1.5 hours to take the bus there even though its probably a 20 minute drive.

So, nope.

Seriously, look at the bay water once you dock. You're lucky if you don't find some body parts in that bay. And watch out for the homeless people on the streets near the wharf. Most are harmless, but some are not. Also big tip, "water" on the sidewalks in SF is never water.... ;) And don't walk between cars which are paralleled parked. You will find "surprises." There are no public toilets. I'm not an SF hater, just an ex resident.

Are you talking about the tenderloin area? LOL

I agree with everyone above. San Francisco is cable cars, Chinatown, the Golden Gate Bridge, Nob Hill, wine, fog, restaurants, giant redwoods, Napa, Sonoma, Lodi, shopping, ice cream and chocolates at Ghirardelli, Alcatraz. SF is not beaches.

I love SF and can go there again and again. Always a new spot to find. Except, not beaches.

Are you talking about the tenderloin area? LOL

Awh, yes I am! :lmao: Unfortunately I lived there for 2 years for school, and moved out to Castro near Noe Valley for a year. Wasn't very clean there either (but that was b/c of everyone walking their labs).

The tenderloin holds a special place in my heart. Dodging crack addicts takes special skill, you know. I once had to walk over a passed out hooker in front of my building, avoiding the needle next to her body. That was a special day :hippie: And the man that was pooping on the BART. Another lovely memory courtesy of SF. It was also fun to jump the puddles in Civic Center Plaza...the puddles made of ammonia water & pee. Oh...the memories.

Eewww, thanks guys, trying to find some swim time for our daughter who might not be able to use the pools if not trained by then

Another beauty beach but not for swimming is Rodeo Beach in the Marin Headlands. You will get a beautiful view of the SF city and the Golden Gate Bridge from the Panoramic View area.

Here's the Link and maps:

http://www.nps.gov/goga/marin-headlands.htm

Have fun. SF is just like any big city where there are homeless folks. Agree with everyone else. Know where NOT to walk "Tenderloin". Rent a bike and bike along the Embarcadero. Wear comfortable shoes and try not to ride the buses. They are crowded. It's easy to walk. Taxis are far and few between. Driving is nutty unless you know how to drive in a big city with a lot of one-way streets.

Garmet district is near the Giants stadium.

There's also a Ghiradelli store on the waterfront. Just watch your wallet and purses.

Don't go to the WAX museum... go visit the California Academy of Sciences, Fort Mason, etc.

Eewww, thanks guys, trying to find some swim time for our daughter who might not be able to use the pools if not trained by then

Lol, all my gross stories are true, but you'll be fine as long as you're careful. SF is very urban, but beautiful.

Your daughter might enjoy the Exploratorium/science museum (did they move this yet from the Palace of Fine Arts?)

From where the Wonder docks you can walk to Ghiradelli Square along the harbor. Ghiradelli square is an easy flat terrained walk. From there you can take a 10 minute bus ride to North Beach (little italy) for some yummy lunch, and walk DOWNHILL from there through Chinatown to Union Square for some shopping. You'll appreciate the downhill walking once you see the slopes :)

From Union Square you can walk back to the Embarcadero, then take the green F line back to the Wharf.

Our favorite restaurant in North Beach is Panta Rei, but my Italian friend loves the Mona Lisa.

When it is warm out, which is rare, but you'll have better luck in Sept/Oct, we always hang out at Crissy Field east beach. It's about as nice as we have here - still super freezing though. My kids will sort of wade in to their knees, but that's about it.

Just put Crissy Field East Beach into google maps. Good bathrooms. A nice snack shack. You can walk the length of Crissy Field down to the Warming Hut. Great bridge views if it's sunny.

Kim

It will be way too cold to swim. Lodi is too far and not exciting enough to go on a port day. I don't think the Exploratorium will be moved until April or May. The Academy of Sciences is wonderful- great for kids because it is interesting and exciting for them but small enough to be manageable within two to three hours. Adult entry is appx $30.

lilpooh108 said:

So, nope.

There are public toilets all over San Francisco now... Do not stay inside them for too long because they are self washing.

I go to San Francisco 4x a year and have never been bothered by a homeless person and I only take public transportation in the city...

I wouldn't be too worried - just act smart as in any city. i usually just either smile or don;t look at panhandlers. No worries.

Now I would not go near the tenderloin at night, but union square is just a short hop away and is fine. :)

Exploratorium/science museum will re-open on the water front Pier 15 in April.

Academy of Science as suggested is a great place and you can pre-order your tickets. You will need transportation to get here. It is in Golden Gate park has fields, gardens, trails and museums.

America's Cup will be in town (July - Oct) and if you are lucky you might see the catamaran racing. Really spectacular. There is a store selling America's Cup stuff and may have the model of the full size catamarans to take pictures.

If you want to know about Walt Disney, the family museum is in SF. Not a lot for little ones though.

If you are able to go to Crissy Field and you can see the Golden Gate Bridge. Fort Point (civil war) is at the bottom of the Golden Gate Bridge.

FYI: weather in SF can be finicky and dressing in layers might be something to consider.

MAJPLO said:
It will be way too cold to swim. Lodi is too far and not exciting enough to go on a port day. I don't think the Exploratorium will be moved until April or May. The Academy of Sciences is wonderful- great for kids because it is interesting and exciting for them but small enough to be manageable within two to three hours. Adult entry is appx $30.

If you go to the Academy of Science but your tickets online for a small discount

din said:
Exploratorium/science museum will re-open on the water front Pier 15 in April.

Academy of Science as suggested is a great place and you can pre-order your tickets. You will need transportation to get here. It is in Golden Gate park has fields, gardens, trails and museums.

America's Cup will be in town (July - Oct) and if you are lucky you might see the catamaran racing. Really spectacular. There is a store selling America's Cup stuff and may have the model of the full size catamarans to take pictures.

If you want to know about Walt Disney, the family museum is in SF. Not a lot for little ones though.

If you are able to go to Crissy Field and you can see the Golden Gate Bridge. Fort Point (civil war) is at the bottom of the Golden Gate Bridge.

FYI: weather in SF can be finicky and dressing in layers might be something to consider.

Great advice! I love San Francisco...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter