1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

San Angel Inn...

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Heather1979, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Heather1979

Heather1979 Mouseketeer

At our last trip I fell in love with the idea of eating at the San Angel Inn (right by the Donald Duck boat ride)- it seems like a neat atmosphere. And we made reservations at the 180 mark, but now I am rethinking it.

My DH abhors anything with peppers in it but he is willing to try the restaurant. But I am thinking... I'm all for being adventurous and trying something new, but... it seems like a pretty big risk given some of the reviews I've seen on here about the place + the whole DH hating peppers thing. I'm wondering if we shouldn't switch out our ressie with someplace else that we haven't tried yet.

So far we're dining (dinners) at Coral Reef, Le Cellier, Boma, Be Our Guest, Whispering Canyon, and Artist Point.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

We ate there last summer and it was really good. I have read very different opinions on here, and they made me really rethink the ADR. But it had been years since we dined there and we were really glad we did. The food was very good, the service good, and the atmosphere was wonderful. :goodvibes

4. Dizzytime

Dizzytime DIS Veteran

It's a favorite of ours. Food has always be delicious, and atmosphere is simply wonderful.
    Pepers...well I'm sure they can be avoided by menu choice or by request, but by the tone of your post it seems you are leaning, already, against going, so that tells me you shouldn't.

But, wherever you go I sure hope you have a great time!

:goodvibes

5. LadyLuck24

LadyLuck24 Mouseketeer

I would keep the reservation. The atmosphere here is the best of any restaurant in Disney, IMO. The menu is small, but I don't recall my meal having peppers on it. I think I got a steak. If he is so pepper-averse that he can't even eat peppers chopped up in something like salsa, then maybe a Mexican restaurant isn't for him. But I would look into it first because the atmosphere & feeling of eating outside at night in Mexico cannot be beat!

6. MermaidMommy

MermaidMommy DIS Veteran

I was having the same dilemma -- I've wanted to eat there forever, but there's really nothing that appeals to DD13. So, we decided to make a late reservation and just have dessert. Plus, the reservation is for 8:45 (on a night we're not seeing Illuminations), so I figure by the time we finish we'll have missed most of the crowds. We've had fun in the past with late dining reservations and getting to walk through a relatively empty park.

7. wdwfan22

wdwfan22 Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Did you look over the menu choices with him. Read both the lunch and dinner menus as they have different choices.Allears.net has up to date menus. There are some very different options. Not your traditional americanized Mexican Food. I really like eating there for the atmosphere. My favorite Disney restaurant is the Blue Bayou in DL, so when I am at DW, it is my closest option.

8. Melanie B

Melanie B DIS Veteran

I'm a pepper hater too. They tend to overpower the flavour of everything. Even though a lot of dishes at SAI have peppers of some type everything I've had there was good. I ordered pollo de la raja last time and I picked the peppers out of the sauce and it was still very good.

9. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy Always Planning!

We love San Angel. It doens't get great reviews most of the time but we eat there on every trip and never had a bad meal.

10. brockash

brockash DIS Veteran

The atmosphere is nice, which is why we tried it out last Sept., however we had the worst service ever. Our server was just horrible...it took us over 30 mins. just to get the check, which was asked for multiple times. He'd come back to the table and fill our waters (which we hadn't asked for, since we were beyond ready to go) and still not bring the check. Honestly, he was rude from the start and I literally felt like I wanted to punch him and I'm not a violent or confrontational person at all, but he was just such a jerk. I know I should have said something to management, but we just wanted to get out of there. We ended being there much longer then we had anticipated, like almost 2 hrs., and this was at lunch time, it wasn't busy. The food was okay, but we'll never go back just due to the horrible experience.